It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• abnormal LFTs for the first time!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
    jroberts868
    (female)

jroberts868 HB User
    Unhappy abnormal LFTs for the first time!

I'm a 40-year-old, single mother with a long list of "health labels" including Addison's Disease, iron deficiency anemia (real low with no iron stores in bone marrow,) Fibromyalgia (although that was diagnosed a good 8 years before they discovered the Addison's,) severe gastritis and severe reflux (both recently discovered during the GI work up to see if I'm bleeding internally-causing the iron deficiency-they had to postpone the colonoscopy till next week because I had a severe reaction to the prep a couple of weeks back, but now they are giving me the "pill prep" as opposed to the drink.) My last colonoscopy was performed when I was 38, and I had benign polyps removed. They just told me yesterday that there could now be more that are bleeding intermittently, but "not enough to cause such low iron levels." Anyway, while I was knocked out for the endoscopy, the doctor did some blood tests that revealed abnormal liver function tests. The AST was 42 and the ALT was 39. The ALKP was normal at 76. My cholesterol was really high (287.) My iron was only 17, the TIBC was high at 402, and the Ferritin was 6. Two days after getting those results they did an ultrasound of my liver. It showed the following:
    Impression 1.) Status Post cholecystectomy (done 17+years ago.) Extrahepatic biliary ductal dilatation as described (9.3mm in diameter). "Occasionally, the common bile duct may dilate in patients status post cholecystectomy, however, this is to a greater degree than typically seen in patients status post cholecystectomy. Suggest correlation with LFTS.
    Impression 2.) Heterogeneous appearance of the liver. Considerations include underlying liver disease or fatty infiltration.
    The GI doctor left a message on my answering machine saying that he wasn't going to perform any follow up tests (he doesn't know I had a second and third follow up blood tests done) since the "heterogeneous" was most likely "fatty liver"-I'm not over weight and I don't drink, and he only seemed to read the first part about the "post cholecystectomy." I've been unable to reach him since.
    My endocrinologist that handles my Addison's (I saw her yesterday) said that she was more alarmed with my iron than my liver and insisted that my GI docs deal with that ASAP. My liver tests have always been normal. My father died with Hep C, and my mother (who lives in the apartment over my garage) also has it. We found out she had it when my father died 10+ years ago. I have been tested for it over the years. Note: We don't do drugs and I've never had a blood transfusion. I have attended to wounds on her, but I still don't know enough about that disease to think it's what's going on. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should be doing? My older boys are 18 and 23 years of age, but I still have a 10-year-old daughter, and I'm all she has. I'm bedridden more often than not with fevers, infections (my adrenal glands have atrophied due to the stress dose of steriods I've been on forever) and I'm prone to migraines 3-5 times per week. Should I push for a liver biopsy? Could the excess steriods be destroying my liver? I do have (and have had forever it seems) dark urine, but no other signs of jaundice. Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread