It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

  • Hepatic Adenoma & B12 Deficiency Help!

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 06-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
    aliha
    Member
    (female)
     
    aliha's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Posts: 53
    aliha HB User
    Hepatic Adenoma & B12 Deficiency Help!

    Hi There

    I am new to all of this and was hoping if someone could tell me if there is a link between vitamin B12 deficiency and a hepatic adenoma (eg can the adenoma cause the B12 deficiency).

    A bit a bout me (I'll try to be brief but I am sure you all know these things are never that brief!)
    - I am a 26 year old aussie femail
    - Gallbladder removed due to gallstone in Feb 2008
    - Ongoing upper right pain from June 2008 onwards (all doctors assumed reflux)
    - Dec 2008 feeling ultra run-down, blood tests indicate deficiency in B12 - referred to a gastro
    - March 2009 had a gastroscopy, doctor found a 6cm indentation in the stomach, assumed this would be a hiatal hernia.
    - March 2009 had a chest x-ray and two CT scans - found 6.6cm mass on liver, unsure what it was.
    - Referred to a new gastro in April 2009 (as didn't like the old one!) who ordered an MRI, MRI in June 2009 confirmed hepatic adenoma.
    - Now awaiting referral to a surgeon as to what we should do next.

    The B12 deficiency will be monitored in three months by the gastro doctor I have been seeing. I thought it might have something to do with the adenoma and wndering if any other adenoma suffererers have the same thing?

    Your advice about anything to do with this "intruder" would be helpful!

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
    ronnic
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Posts: 24
    ronnic HB User
    Re: Hepatic Adenoma & B12 Deficiency Help!

    I have adenomas, but no B12 deficiency. I don't know of any connections, but that doesn't mean there is not one.

    Good luck when you meet with the surgeon.

     
    Old 06-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
    LagunaNiguel
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    LagunaNiguel's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Location: Laguna Niguel, CA US
    Posts: 131
    LagunaNiguel HB User
    Re: Hepatic Adenoma & B12 Deficiency Help!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aliha View Post
    Hi There

    I am new to all of this and was hoping if someone could tell me if there is a link between vitamin B12 deficiency and a hepatic adenoma (eg can the adenoma cause the B12 deficiency).

    A bit a bout me (I'll try to be brief but I am sure you all know these things are never that brief!)
    - I am a 26 year old aussie femail
    - Gallbladder removed due to gallstone in Feb 2008
    - Ongoing upper right pain from June 2008 onwards (all doctors assumed reflux)
    - Dec 2008 feeling ultra run-down, blood tests indicate deficiency in B12 - referred to a gastro
    - March 2009 had a gastroscopy, doctor found a 6cm indentation in the stomach, assumed this would be a hiatal hernia.
    - March 2009 had a chest x-ray and two CT scans - found 6.6cm mass on liver, unsure what it was.
    - Referred to a new gastro in April 2009 (as didn't like the old one!) who ordered an MRI, MRI in June 2009 confirmed hepatic adenoma.
    - Now awaiting referral to a surgeon as to what we should do next.

    The B12 deficiency will be monitored in three months by the gastro doctor I have been seeing. I thought it might have something to do with the adenoma and wndering if any other adenoma suffererers have the same thing?

    Your advice about anything to do with this "intruder" would be helpful!

     
    Old 06-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
    LagunaNiguel
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    LagunaNiguel's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Location: Laguna Niguel, CA US
    Posts: 131
    LagunaNiguel HB User
    Re: Hepatic Adenoma & B12 Deficiency Help!

    Aliha,
    Hi. Don't know if they are related but I have a giant hemangioma on my liver, right side, sitting on top pressing down 10 lbs and will start to impact my bile ducts and portal vein. I have a b12 deficiency and Vitamin D. Vitamin D supplements did not improve my blood work so switched to a sublingual. Now doc has me on a prescription strength Vit D.
    Hope this helps. My larger problem has been horrific weight gain. Doc says it is possible that tumor is secreting insulin-like substance or could have an additional tumor on pancreas. t

     
    Old 06-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
    Farmgrrl
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Farmgrrl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Virginia
    Posts: 40
    Farmgrrl HB User
    Re: Hepatic Adenoma & B12 Deficiency Help!

    Wow, this is very interesting...I have not been told I have a b12 deficiency, put in my obstetric workup they found that my vitamin d was low and wanted to prescribe it to me...in all of this I never got copies of those particular results. I might have to purse this...

    I too was told that I also have a hiatal hernia that was dx'd 6 years ago when I was getting work-ed up for upper right side abd pain and ultimately had my gallbladder removed. During my EGD in March '09 he again saw a hiatal hernia. Two weeks later we found out I have a 6cm adenoma on the end of the left lobe of my liver. I am having it removed next Tuesday, June 16.

    I wonder how much of this is coincidence and how much of it is related?

    When do you meet your surgeon aliha?

     
    Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
    aliha
    Member
    (female)
     
    aliha's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Posts: 53
    aliha HB User
    Re: Hepatic Adenoma & B12 Deficiency Help!

    Hi Farmgrrl - this is interesting isn't it....I think we should all become doctors as we seem to be better at piecing things together!

    I am awaiting a call from this liver surgeon - I saw my gastro last Wednesday and she was going to arrange it all. Mind you I waited 6 weeks for an MRI so I think it will be a while off!

    Yours situation is eerily similar to mine - with the exception of you with vitamin D while mine is vitamin B12 - I don't have a hiatal hernia, it's just this 'intruder' they keep seeing.

    Mine is also 6cm (6.6cm to be exact) and also on the left lobe only. Mine is pushing in to my stomach (which is what they thought could have been a hernia in the gastroscopy view).

    Where you given options Farmgrrl or straight out were you told that surgery was required? I am very interested to hear of your happenings when you first met with your surgeon - I also hope you go well next Tuesday - is it via laprascopic surgery?

    I'm not sure where you're located in the world - I am in Melbourne, Australia - but I truly think it's great that we can all exchange stories like this, I don't know anyone who has been through this frustrating diagnostic experience so this board has been great!

     
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
    aliha
    Member
    (female)
     
    aliha's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Posts: 53
    aliha HB User
    Re: Hepatic Adenoma & B12 Deficiency Help!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farmgrrl View Post
    Wow, this is very interesting...I have not been told I have a b12 deficiency, put in my obstetric workup they found that my vitamin d was low and wanted to prescribe it to me...in all of this I never got copies of those particular results. I might have to purse this...

    I too was told that I also have a hiatal hernia that was dx'd 6 years ago when I was getting work-ed up for upper right side abd pain and ultimately had my gallbladder removed. During my EGD in March '09 he again saw a hiatal hernia. Two weeks later we found out I have a 6cm adenoma on the end of the left lobe of my liver. I am having it removed next Tuesday, June 16.

    I wonder how much of this is coincidence and how much of it is related?

    When do you meet your surgeon aliha?

    Hi Farmgrrl - this is interesting isn't it....I think we should all become doctors as we seem to be better at piecing things together!

    I am awaiting a call from this liver surgeon - I saw my gastro last Wednesday and she was going to arrange it all. Mind you I waited 6 weeks for an MRI so I think it will be a while off!

    Yours situation is eerily similar to mine - with the exception of you with vitamin D while mine is vitamin B12 - I don't have a hiatal hernia, it's just this 'intruder' they keep seeing.

    Mine is also 6cm (6.6cm to be exact) and also on the left lobe only. Mine is pushing in to my stomach (which is what they thought could have been a hernia in the gastroscopy view).

    Where you given options Farmgrrl or straight out were you told that surgery was required? I am very interested to hear of your happenings when you first met with your surgeon - I also hope you go well next Tuesday - is it via laprascopic surgery?

    I'm not sure where you're located in the world - I am in Melbourne, Australia - but I truly think it's great that we can all exchange stories like this, I don't know anyone who has been through this frustrating diagnostic experience so this board has been great!

     
    Old 06-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
    Farmgrrl
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Farmgrrl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Virginia
    Posts: 40
    Farmgrrl HB User
    Re: Hepatic Adenoma & B12 Deficiency Help!

    If you look back at the Adenoma/Heamangioma/FNH x17 thread, my story is in there or click on my name to see my previous posts...there's lots of details in there of the timeline and events that happened along the way...but, to answer your specific questions...

    The same surgeon that will be doing my liver resection (we are planning to try it laporascopically) is the same one that performed both of my EGDs(same as gastroscopy) and he removed my gallbadder 6 years ago. So, I initially met with him in February to follow up on an abnormal CT scan I had in Sept and for a follow-up EGD & colonscopy. The next time I saw him was when I was on the table for my EGD/colonoscopy and he told me I needed an MRI. At the same time I found out about my bilateral ovarian cysts. When I had my MRI I got a copy of it on CD to take home and study myself. In reading the copy of my CT report in Sept and looking at the pics along with a whole bunch of internet research I knew that I had some sort of benign tumor but the question was adenoma, hemangioma, or fnh. I had researched all of the treatments for the different tumors so I was prepared to hear the diagnosis. Keep in mind I am a registered nurse so I'm pretty familiar with 'medical speak'.

    My surgeon didn't really give me any options...he told me it needed to come out as the final differential diagnosis for me is 'atypical adenoma or hepatocelluar carcinoma'. Either its a benign tumor or its a malignant tumor. We both are very confident that its benign but seeing that I have only ever taken hormonal birth control for only 3 months over 8 years ago, its strange that I have an adenoma to begin with. I didn't consider biopsy an option as I didn't want to take the risk of seeding any potential cancer. My surgeon didn't even discuss it.

    I am from the state of Virginia in the US. You're right, its great to be able to get on here and find people that have experienced this and the ones going through it, everyone can relate to how you feel!

     
    Old 06-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
    aliha
    Member
    (female)
     
    aliha's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Posts: 53
    aliha HB User
    Re: Hepatic Adenoma & B12 Deficiency Help!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farmgrrl View Post
    If you look back at the Adenoma/Heamangioma/FNH x17 thread, my story is in there or click on my name to see my previous posts...there's lots of details in there of the timeline and events that happened along the way...but, to answer your specific questions...

    The same surgeon that will be doing my liver resection (we are planning to try it laporascopically) is the same one that performed both of my EGDs(same as gastroscopy) and he removed my gallbadder 6 years ago. So, I initially met with him in February to follow up on an abnormal CT scan I had in Sept and for a follow-up EGD & colonscopy. The next time I saw him was when I was on the table for my EGD/colonoscopy and he told me I needed an MRI. At the same time I found out about my bilateral ovarian cysts. When I had my MRI I got a copy of it on CD to take home and study myself. In reading the copy of my CT report in Sept and looking at the pics along with a whole bunch of internet research I knew that I had some sort of benign tumor but the question was adenoma, hemangioma, or fnh. I had researched all of the treatments for the different tumors so I was prepared to hear the diagnosis. Keep in mind I am a registered nurse so I'm pretty familiar with 'medical speak'.

    My surgeon didn't really give me any options...he told me it needed to come out as the final differential diagnosis for me is 'atypical adenoma or hepatocelluar carcinoma'. Either its a benign tumor or its a malignant tumor. We both are very confident that its benign but seeing that I have only ever taken hormonal birth control for only 3 months over 8 years ago, its strange that I have an adenoma to begin with. I didn't consider biopsy an option as I didn't want to take the risk of seeding any potential cancer. My surgeon didn't even discuss it.

    I am from the state of Virginia in the US. You're right, its great to be able to get on here and find people that have experienced this and the ones going through it, everyone can relate to how you feel!


    Thanks for getting back to me

    I really hope everything goes well for you on the 16th and I look forward to your updates post-surgery.

    I am sure that everything will be fine and it will be a big relief once it is all over.

    Good luck!

     
    Old 06-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
    Canukgirl
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Canukgirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 4
    Canukgirl HB User
    Re: Hepatic Adenoma & B12 Deficiency Help!

    Hello, I also posted my story on the adenoma, FNH ect board...

    Actually, I just wanted to add my piece of evidence to this weird coincidence.
    I was diagnosed with a mediocre (5x4x3) FNH tumor in my right anterior lobe in Feb/09. When they did my blood work, the only abnormal was my B12 was very low. I am on pills, but have to be retested in 3 months to see if they are bringing my levels up.

    Also, My gallbladder is coming out in a few weeks. After my HIDA, they determined it was quite dead.

    Maybe we are on to something???

     
    Old 06-13-2009, 03:40 AM   #11
    aliha
    Member
    (female)
     
    aliha's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Posts: 53
    aliha HB User
    Re: Hepatic Adenoma & B12 Deficiency Help!

    It is very interesting Canukgirl!

    I had been having B12 shots monthly but they were making no difference - I am unsure if it made a difference in my blood test results but in terms of my tiredness/lethargy there was no difference so it made me start to think that my adenoma was 'feeding' off of my B12 (hence the reason it was so low!) and the shots were feeding it even more!

    It's also interesting to note you have gallbladder issues - a lot of people on this board seem to have had their gallbladders removed (just from reading posts). I had mine out in Feb 2008 - this was due to a gallstone but could this be related as well!?

    I did ask my doctor if the B12 could be related to the adenoma and was told no but who knows! Doctors only know what has been scientifically investigated and if this hasn't been investigated (which I am sure it hasn't) then I really think there could be a link!!

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Hepatic Adenomas maggiemay71186 Liver & Pancreas Disorders 29 03-02-2011 12:48 PM
    Hepatic Adenoma kurlyq32 Liver & Pancreas Disorders 2 10-28-2010 05:22 PM
    Hepatic adenoma need answers...please mwel Liver & Pancreas Disorders 12 03-06-2010 06:23 AM
    hepatic adenoma rfr Liver & Pancreas Disorders 96 10-29-2007 08:57 AM
    Hepatic Adenoma 3cm type4him Liver & Pancreas Disorders 8 09-12-2005 10:26 AM
    Hepatic adenoma 3cm type4him Open to All Other Health Topics 3 09-04-2005 11:18 AM
    hepatic adenoma rupture mgt Liver & Pancreas Disorders 14 08-17-2005 10:42 AM
    Recurrent Hepatic Adenoma???!!! angelgirl123166 Liver & Pancreas Disorders 3 07-30-2003 12:14 PM
    Hepatic adenoma 3darlingsmomma Liver & Pancreas Disorders 1 03-14-2002 08:57 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!