It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Liver Resection - Scar Creams and Recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
    LauraLee140
    (female)

LauraLee140 HB User
    Talking Liver Resection - Scar Creams and Recovery

I'm finally having a liver resection to remove 70% of my liver as well as my gall bladder. Three hepatic adenomas were discovered in my liver, likely as a result of BC, in March 2010. It took over a year to get ANYTHING to happen. I've been through the ringer. I'm nervous but excited to get these things outta me!

I promise to write about my experiences with the surgery and recovery. Surgery is May 16th and as soon as I can get home and comfortably in front of a computer, I'll let you all know how it all went.

For right now though, does anyone know of any scar creams I can use to expidite the healing process as well as diminish the appearance of scars in the future.

Furthermore, I'm hoping a few of you have some last minute advice you can give me to prepare for the "big day." This is my first major surgery and I'm quite nervous.

Thanks everyone!

The following user gives a hug of support to LauraLee140:
    newhavengirl (05-16-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
    newhavengirl
    (female)

newhavengirl HB User
    Re: Liver Resection - Scar Creams and Recovery

laura, good luck today! you will be fine!
    i have used mederma and vitamin e oil but you need wound to heal first! move as much as you can and take it easy in general. i am sure someone is watching over you)all the best!!!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
    NatalieSJC
    (female)

NatalieSJC HB User

I hope your surgery went well! So sorry to hear about the ordeal. I'll find your post in surgery recovery to read more about what happened.

Regarding scar creams, there are a LOT of products in a huge price range, but only a few with ingredients that work. Here are some tips:

1. Do not use vitamin e. I can't believe how many posts suggest vitamin e, when it's a really bad idea. Google this (in quotes): "Baumann LS, Spencer J. The effects of topical vitamin E on the cosmetic appearance of scars. Dermatol Surg 1999;25:311-315."

2. Use silicone. It's the best thing to put on a scar and it makes sure that it has a good texture. Strips or creams work. I find a cream are more convenient.

3. Use something with an ingredient that helps with hyperpigmentation. I have found vitamin C to be most effective and safe. (Safety is important to me, I don't like the risks of hydroquinone or kojic acid).

4. Avoid, if you can, preservatives (parabens) and fragrances. Lots of people are allergic, and you don't want to mess up the scar with a cream that "smells good".

I have spent entirely too much time learning about scar creams, obviously! :-)

Good luck with the surgery, and let me know which scar product you go with.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
    NatalieSJC
    (female)

NatalieSJC HB User

I hope your surgery went well! So sorry to hear about the ordeal. I'll find your post in surgery recovery to read more about what happened.

Regarding scar creams, there are a LOT of products in a huge price range, but only a few with ingredients that work. Here are some tips:

1. Do not use vitamin e. I can't believe how many posts suggest vitamin e, when it's a really bad idea. Google this (in quotes): "Baumann LS, Spencer J. The effects of topical vitamin E on the cosmetic appearance of scars. Dermatol Surg 1999;25:311-315."

2. Use silicone. It's the best thing to put on a scar and it makes sure that it has a good texture. Strips or creams work. I find a cream are more convenient.

3. Use something with an ingredient that helps with hyperpigmentation. I have found vitamin C to be most effective and safe. (Safety is important to me, I don't like the risks of hydroquinone or kojic acid).

4. Avoid, if you can, preservatives (parabens) and fragrances. Lots of people are allergic, and you don't want to mess up the scar with a cream that "smells good".

I have spent entirely too much time learning about scar creams, obviously! :-)

Good luck with the surgery, and let me know which scar product you go with.

Closed Thread