It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Fatty Liver - First post

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
    vbay
    (male)

vbay HB User
    Fatty Liver - First post

Hi everyone,

I am a 34 year old male and I regularly have my blood test done every year. I have not had any health problems so far however blood test results which I received yesterday have "fatty liver" written on it.

Below are my results:

* AST = 45 U/L
    * ALT = 66 U/L
    * GGT = 58 U/L
    * Cholesterol = 6.0 mmol/L

All other blood test results are within normal range.

I do not have hepatitis, diabetes or hypertension - tested.
    I am not overweight.
    I do not drink or smoke.
    I have been walking 30 mins a day for the past 2 years.
    In recent weeks I have felt indigestion on the odd occasions which I quickly resolved with ENO.

I am taking the issue seriously but are the above results bad enough for me to start worrying about it?

I generally eat healthy but I am strictly changing my lifestyle to healthy living now. Is there anything else that can help me with the recovery process? Milk Thistle, Dandelion, Lemon juice Wheat Germ oil??

Thank you for your help.

Vbay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Fatty Liver - First post

any actual lifestyle changes really need to possibly come only AFTER you find out what IS currently generating these out of range numbers for certain. the mere fact that thankfully your doc DID do a GGT(it is usually in the US anyway, an "extra ordered" test not normally done in the basic hepatic panel) tells a bit different story than seeing the other numbers without that GGT would? a high GGT tells two real things, either someone has recently consumed alcohol or in some shape or form(this does impact the inner bile ducts to a degree), or your bile ducts are involved here in this some way. that GGT is just VERY highly sensitive for changes within the bile ducts. the other numbers are indicators of possible function impact upon the liver for what could be many different reasons that need to be figured out, esp with having that higher GGT along with them

are you currently taking ANY actual rx meds or suppliments? sometimes certain ones can also impact certain organ functions depending.

what did your doc have to say about the results? have you seen him or did this just like come in the mail one day after the appt and labs were done? there seriously NEEDS to be some type of follow up testing done to find out if this IS indeed all caused by a fatty liver, which i really do doubt, esp with the GGT being out of range. or some other issue IS impacting your overall liver functions/enzymes in some way.

the very best way to follow up when hepatic labs are not within the norm really is a good ultrasound with the doppler tool. esp to look so much better actually INTO your bile ducts too? this could be some type of a blockage going on or something with impact within your bile ducts from something else. but trust me, that one US and that doppler showing realtime flow truely IS the best type of follow up to gain that NEEDED info on your upper GI as a whole since it is all interconnected by the bile ducts and blood supply among other things. but DO call your doc to see what he thinks here(or go in to see him and ask questions) and ask about getting that one US done too. blood work and ultrasound really CAN show alot about organs and function.

i have a liver and kidney disease that is monitored yearly only by getting my labs done and always a new US just to see if anything has been impacted we don't yet know about. alot CAN be seen and found out with just that US and bloodwork. changes will almost always take place within any given organ well before it actually shows up in funtion loss which IS what the basic labs simply do, check function. so DO see your doc and make certain he sends you for that needed follow up US just to actually 'see' inside at the organs and your bile ducts definitely need a look here. hopefully this is not something more omnious. you just really DO have to know the 'whys' in these numbers and look at your whole GI right now to really 'know' anything for certain. just writing 'fatty liver' is NOT good enough, you need to SEE inside at the actual organs and that whole GI system too to truely know anything. good luck and do please let me know what you find out vbay. marcia

Old 06-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
    vbay
    (male)

vbay HB User

Hi Marcia,

Thanks for your reply.

I still go for my 30 mins walk everyday but work commitments in the last six months have made it hard for me to go to the gym.

My GP gave me the results few days ago and thinks its simply a case of "fatty liver" - which concerned me because I am not over weight?

My GP has booked me in for an ultrasound on 21/06/11 - 11 days from now.

My GP has asked me to do a follow up blood test in 3 months time.

I agree I have to find the root cause of the elevated enzymes and I will touch base with my GP again. In the mean while, some hopeful thoughts that have crossed my mind:

* Maybe there was an error in the test results - this is unlikely but has happened to another person I know in Australia.

* Maybe the gym supplemental's had an affect on my liver and now that I have stopped taking them my liver will slowly recover?

* I was asked to fast for 12 hours before the blood collection. I had a late night and only fasted for 9 hours. Maybe this affected the test results?

I will let everyone know any new developments once my ultrasound is complete.

From the research I have done and from what I have been told by an on-line doctor, the following should help lower "fatty liver" enzymes - assuming the root cause of the problem is poor eating habits:

* Avoid fatty food and fried food.
    * Try consuming organically produced foods. Non organic foods can contain fertilizers or chemicals which can harm liver.
    * Consume LOTS of green leafy vegetables and fruits.
    * Milk Thistle supplements will help regenerate and protect liver cells.
    * Dandelion root or tea will help detox liver.
    * Fresh lemon juice in warm water an hour before breakfast will help production of liver enzymes and detox liver.
    * Wheat Germ Oil contains vitamin E which will help liver with its antioxidant properties.

Please do let me know if anyone else has any thoughts and all the best.

vbay

Last edited by moderator2; 06-09-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
    amanhood
    (male)

amanhood HB User

Hi,

Fatty liver can be affected by the mutation of genes. When the enzyme inside liver is disorder due to the wrongly switch ON/OFF at good/bad gene, the chemical reaction inside liver are interfered by those affected enzyme. So, the only thing we have to do is to remain the GPT level at acceptable level by drugs and health food.

PS: I graduated from Bsc(Genetics) at UNSW

Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
    vbay
    (male)

vbay HB User

Wow! Fingers crossed its nothing like that!

Closed Thread