It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

liver ultrasound

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Usmc2186
(male)

Usmc2186 HB User
liver ultrasound

I went for a liver ultrasound today, done by a tech. I asked how it looked and she said he had to talk to the radiologist. Then came back and told me my doctor would get the results and that she would get in touch with me. Is this usually the procedure or should I be worried? I had to get the ultrasound due to a high number of enzymes from the liver in my blood.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
brosko
(male)

brosko HB Userbrosko HB User
Re: liver ultrasound

I'm pretty sure that's the standard procedure. They are not allowed to discuss results directly with the patient whether they are good or bad. That's the doctors Job.

BTW I myself have to go for an ultrasound (will be my first one)for my liver but have been putting it off for a few months now due to fear of what they might see.
How long does it take? What does it involve?

Old 03-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
Usmc2186
(male)

Usmc2186 HB User

It didn't take too long at all. I went in and they had my lay down and put a gel on my stomach and breath in and hold many times, while they just kept running the wand over the area where my liver is. They took many pictures for about 20 minutes and then I was done.

The Following User Says Thank You to Usmc2186 For This Useful Post:
brosko (03-04-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
brosko
(male)

brosko HB Userbrosko HB User

Thanks! And don't worry that they didn't tell you anything about the results. Hopefully everything turns out fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to brosko For This Useful Post:
Usmc2186 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
WhistleDixie
Inactive
(female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

Hello USMC...Yes, this is normal procedure. The techs won't usually tell YOU anything even if you ask. They defer to the doctor, which is frustrating for us as patients, but no less protocol. Your enzymes could be elevated by a number of things. I know you're worried and nothing I can say will stop that until you get your results.

Did you ask your doctor how long it would take to get results? I would think you'd have them promptly (by tomorrow). I would suggest that you call the doctor's office by early tomorrow afternoon, if they've not contacted you.

Last October I had a full body bone scan to detect possible bone cancer. It was negative, Thank God. My orthopedic made me wait a full month for results. They refused to give the results over the phone or through my secure Fax. Basically, I believe she simply allowed me to "fall through the cracks" and worry unnecessarily. That's why I suggest you be assertive in getting your results from your doctor. You are your best advocate. Best wishes=)

The Following User Says Thank You to WhistleDixie For This Useful Post:
Usmc2186 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
Usmc2186
(male)

Usmc2186 HB User

Any chance you know what high liver enzymes could mean? I didn't ask enough questions when I was told I needed a ultrasound and I have no idea what the different scenarios could be with me being only 27.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:13 AM   #7
WhistleDixie
Inactive
(female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

I'm sorry I'm only now seeing your last post. The "green light" means you're logged on...However, my light stays on constantly because I'm too lazy to log on/off.

I understand your worry and concern. But DO TRY not to work yourself into a frenzy, as this could be just a "blip" on the radar. It's always best to follow through to make sure things are okay. I have a couple of questions: Do you drink a lot? Do you take a lot of acetaminophen? It's in Tylenol and MANY prescription pain meds. Do you mix the two...in other words drink alcohol while taking acetaminophen/pain meds regularly? IF SO, that could definitely be the culprit. Excessive drinking alone can harm your liver, as can overload of acetaminophen (alone). The combination is a recipe for early death of your liver (and of you) if you continue the behavior.

I'm not saying that you do either of those things, so please don't take it that way. It's just that when you asked, those were the first 2 things to pop into my mind. I see that you are a young man. Are you still in the Marine Corps? Are you currently serving? If so, domestic or foreign?

It's 5 a.m. here, 6 a.m. in NY...so it should only be a few more hours before you can get the results of your ultrasound. Believe me, I know how the anxiety of the unknown can overwhelm you. I was diagnosed with full blown liver failure @ 32. WHAT? HOW? I was rushed to a major medical research center in New Orleans, where it was determined that I had a blockage of the common bile duct. WHEW!?! I was initially told (based upon enzymes) there was a 90% chance I had liver cancer. I thank God that it could be "repaired" and NOT cancer. However, I still have to be vigilant with regular "function checks".

I'm sending HUGS of support and positive thoughts that you will be fine. Please post when you find out anything, okay?

Last edited by WhistleDixie; 03-04-2014 at 03:16 AM.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 AM   #8
Usmc2186
(male)

Usmc2186 HB User

I am not active duty anymore and I don't drink too much and hardly take Tylenol or anything like that. The doctor called and said I need a CT scan of my pancreas. Any idea why they would ask for this?

Old 03-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #9
WhistleDixie
Inactive
(female)

First...Thank you for your service to our country=)

Was your liver ultrasound all clear? If so, that's great news! The CT scan will be painless, perhaps checking for pancreatitis?

Closed Thread

Tags
liver cancer, liver enzymes, liver ultrasound