It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Elevated ALT and AST

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
    chunkmonk11
    (female)

chunkmonk11 HB User
    Elevated ALT and AST

Hello. I recently had a general physical. The physical itself was completely normal. However, my ALT was 43 and AST 46. I am 42, female, generally healthy, 145lbs 5'7". I have always enjoyed drinking socially and probably drink 10-12 drinks a week. I take aleve often for chronic lower back pain. If I cut back my drinking to 2-3 drinks a week and reduce my aleve intake will my levels decrease?

Last edited by chunkmonk11; 11-23-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
    alicake
    (female)

alicake HB Useralicake HB Useralicake HB Useralicake HB Useralicake HB Useralicake HB User
    Re: Elevated ALT and AST

The way my doctor put it when questioning me on my alcohol habits is that AST levels bounce back really quick from drinking, half life of ast being 7 days. Some peoples livers are also sensitive to alcohol. NSAIDs can also increase AST levels, Im not sure about ALT as I havent been researching into ALT much.
    If you quit drinking for 2 weeks you should drop back into normal range, if not, then other things should be looked into.

10-12 drinks could actually be double or even triple the "1 unit of alcohol each" if large pours...

Old 11-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
    ralph2014
    Inactive
    (male)

ralph2014 HB User
    Re: Elevated ALT and AST

ALT is used to measure liver inflammation, it means some cells are dying and end up floating in the blood stream which is what the test is picking up. Sounds scary but stopping and alcohol and medication should stop the cells dying and the levels will return to normal(hopefully) and then the liver will repair the cells. A bigger problem would be if the liver stays inflammed because it mean cells and constantly dying, this is what happens with Hepatitis. Even when i went to the doctor he said he tests himself one in a while after drinking at the weekend and monday morning his ALT will be raised etc, Aslong as you dont have HEP c or something they should come down.

Closed Thread

Tags
    alt, ast