It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Difficulty breathing, low oxygen sat sometimes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2016, 06:02 AM   #1
    Icekraze
    (female)

Icekraze HB User
    Question Difficulty breathing, low oxygen sat sometimes

For the past six months or so I have had this incredibly annoying cough that comes and goes. When the cough gets bad I would have a very hard time breathing. I have a history of exercise induced asthma (usually only comes on when running outdoors). I originally thought the cough was an infection, but antibiotics didn't take care of it. Then I thought it was a change in my asthma, so I scheduled an appointment with an allergist.

Went in to see the allergist and the did a pulmonary function test. It came back at 79% so they gave me an albuterol treatment with a nebulizer. They did the test again with no change. The allergist suggested that my cough could be caused by acid reflux. However I looked up the symptoms and I don't really have any of them. I don't typically have a sore throat or horse voice. I don't have any burning in my chest or throat. No weird tastes in my mouth.

This weekend my cough got really bad. In addition to this cough I have also had dizziness and numbness that I thought were unrelated. During one of my dizzy spells I grabbed a pulse ox I was shocked to see it at 90%. I have been monitoring this since and vary everywhere from the mid 80s to 99%. I still am very short of breath and my cough is worse despite following the instructions for an acid reflux diet. I currently have no relief from any attacks. They leave me gasping for breath and very scared. It gets worse at night and I hate to ask someone to take me to the ER in the middle of the night. Plus, if it doesn't respond to an albuterol treatment, what is the ER going to do?

Anyone else dealt with anything like this? Any ideas what could be causing this?

Oh and I am a 27 year old female if that helps.

Last edited by Icekraze; 04-04-2016 at 06:07 AM. Reason: forgot information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2016, 04:43 AM   #2
    Mg2121
    Veteran
    (female)

Mg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB User
    Re: Difficulty breathing, low oxygen sat sometimes

I had very similar symptoms over some time then suddenly with an audible wheeze but only in certain position, slouching mostly, that just increasingly had gotten worse. I finally saw my doctor and they noticed the flucuations with my oxygen . It would vary from 98% then drop to 87 % again depending on my position. It turned out that i aspirated a nut and it was stuck in my lung. Long story short they removed it and I was fine after. I also had excessive salivation upon awakening in the morning at times. So, see a pulmonolgist so that you can get a xray or ct scan done.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:28 AM   #3
    Icekraze
    (female)

Icekraze HB User
    Re: Difficulty breathing, low oxygen sat sometimes

Good to know. Were they able to see the nut on x-ray? I finally had a chest x-ray done, but it appeared normal to the radiologist. I am fairly large, so it did limit how much they could see on x-ray. Also, thank you so much for responding!

Closed Thread

Tags
    asthma, breathing trouble, difficulty breathing