It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Air trapping

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
    Running onempty
    (female)

Running onempty HB User
    Air trapping

I have large amounts of air trapping on PFTS but a normal HRCT. Does anyone know what to make of that? My Drs started me on a trial of Breo inhaler and oral steroids but says results don't make sense. Any help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Air trapping

Hi...did you have imaging done? I've not heard of the term before, but do have asthma and restricted exhalation on results. From what I've read, it seems imaging is a diagnostic tool for a visual. The spirometer would measure only output and based on numbers would state if it's restricted. From there, the diagnostics begin regarding the reason why if you have no history of lung disease/issues/illness, etc.

q

Old 08-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
    Telecaster
    (male)

Telecaster HB User
    Re: Air trapping

Runningonempty,

Your situation sounds exactly like mine. Significant air trapping in otherwise perfect lungs. I've been going through tests since November and they just found a clue. Have you been tested for Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency? It's a simple finger ***** test they can do right in the office, it takes longer than your average blood test to get results though, took my doctor a month and a half to get them.

Alpha-1 defiency is actually a liver problem, it doesn't produce the proper enzymes to protect your lungs, and so anytime things like cigarette smoke or harmful dust, etc - get in your lungs your white blood cells attack your lungs destroying them little by little.

Alpha-1 is also called genetic Emphysema. You have it from birth but it usually starts to show symptoms in your 30's-40's. Usually inhalers have no relieving effect on this.

Ask your doctor, It's worth the test. I hope you find answers and solutions soon. I know the effect it can have on your life.

Closed Thread