It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Heat Wave and I can't Breathe.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
    Hypochondriacyy
    (male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User
    Heat Wave and I can't Breathe.

We have a heat wave in NYC going on right now. its 95 and very humid. The other day I had to ride the subway and walk up some long flights of stairs in that hot muggy subway. Halfway up the stairs I thought I was going to pass out. I actually had to stop to catch my breath, panting with mouth open.
    I am 54, overweight and out of shape. I haven't been very active lately as I have been sitting in a car for work. When I was taking the subways every day I was more used to this. I also noticed that during the "out of breath while going up the stairs" episodes I was getting a few PVCs.
    I was actually going to a doctors appointment for a physical that day! I told my doc and said considering the extreme weather it was normal. He did an EKG and that was normal.
    Just curious if this happens to others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Heat Wave and I cant Breathe

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hypochondriacyy View Post
    I am 54, overweight and out of shape.
    You can take a million tests at a doctor's office, but the best test is how your body reacts to physical stress, hard work or exercise. Your body is telling you something. It's telling you that it wants to be in better shape.

I am 74 and have had heart failure since 1987. I used to be 180 pounds. Now I am 125 pounds. I very slowly, gradually built up my exercises to about 700 20-pound weight lifts, 300 knee bends, 30 minute power walk and 300 maximum pedals on my stationary bike per day. I also eat five small meals totaling about 1500 calories per day.

Despite having a failed heart for 30 years, I feel very good. My body is telling me that I am treating it right. I have energy and feel good and can work out in the heat.

What do you think? Do you hear what your body is telling you?

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
    Hypochondriacyy (07-06-2018)
    Old 07-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
    Hypochondriacyy
    (male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User

Wow! I am jealous. I need to do something. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I can do a lot of exercise repetitions because I am retired and can spread the exercises out during the day so they don't overwhelm me.

You are still working hard for a living. You have less time and energy to exercise and need rest and enjoyment time after a stressful day!

A little bit of exercise or muscle toning goes a long way. You would be amazed at how much better you would feel from just a little bit of exercise.

I have an exercise bike. When I go to the kitchen, or living room, I'll sometimes go out on the porch and do 30 pedals, which takes less than a minute and that's it! Or... when I'm walking by my ten pound hand weights, I'll lift them up and do 30 lifts, 30 curls and 30 inside curls, taking about a minute. Or... when I just think about it, I'll do 30 deep knee bends.

By doing 30 weight lifts, or 30 knee bends, just when it's convenient, and when you want to do it, the repetitions and benefits can really add up during the off-time, and especially during days off work.

Regards, Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 07-07-2018 at 11:40 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
    Hypochondriacyy (07-07-2018),yayagirl (07-07-2018)
    Reply Reply

Tags
    heat, humidity, pac pvc sinus tach beta blocker heart, pvc's