It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Newly diagnosed with Mild COPD/7 mm nodule

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-26-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
    fillygirl
    (female)

fillygirl HB User
    Newly diagnosed with Mild COPD/7 mm nodule

Hi all,
    I was just diagnosed with Mild COPD/Emphysema today. I quit smoking 20 years ago (but was a heavy smoker b4 I quit). I am now 57 and saw my Mom suffer with the same thing. I literally just started having breathing problems/ morning coughing about 2 months ago. I am so scared, not knowing how fast this condition will progress. It feels like I have chronic mucus in my throat. Any suggestions on coping with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Newly diagnosed with Mild COPD/7 mm nodule

Hi, fillygirl,

At some point your doctor will likely prescribe some type of medication to relieve your symptoms. However, being that all drugs have side effects, it might be a good idea to fight this condition with more than just drugs alone.

What is there other than drugs? Lifestyle: You can make sure to avoid any and all inflammatory foods. This includes most highly processed foods also known as "fast food". Avoid baked goods made with white flour and added sugar etc. The idea is to concentrate on eating natural whole foods like fresh fruit, non-starchy vegetables, whole (intact) grains, legumes, nuts and seeds.

All the foods recommended above are high in anti-oxidants and are anti-inflammatory. It may also be helpful to get some form of exercise like walking.

Movement is important for maintaining a healthy immune system. Immune cells are created in your bone marrow and transported by way of your lymphatic system. But the lymphatic system doesn't have a pump, so moving around is how your immune cells circulate through your body.

Best regards, hope this information will be of some help.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
    fillygirl
    (female)

fillygirl HB User
    Re: Newly diagnosed with Mild COPD/7 mm nodule

Thank you JohnR41. I absolutely plan on eating better and increasing my exercise.

Reply Reply