It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Acute or Chronic Bronchitis?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-03-2019, 06:37 AM   #1
    bigdaddyslim66
    (male)

bigdaddyslim66 HB User
    Acute or Chronic Bronchitis?

I am a 53 yo male, non-smoker/never smoked, but worked as a door man for bars and was in the Army for approximately 10 years in the 80's and 90's (prior to recent smoking bans) around a lot of second hand smoke. I have been working in a Medical Center for 12 years and every Nov/Dec for the last 12 years I have gotten bronchitis. It lasts 3-4 months with the cough from heck. Coughing spells start and before I know it, I am out of breath, dizzy, and almost passing out. I contacted my primary care provider to see them so I can see a Respiratory Therapist. However, I am not sure what to do. I find every year, the docs here are dismissive and provide the same rhetoric that "it has to run its course". I am trying to find out if there is some course of action that can be taken to find out what it is about me that causes this every year. A friend suggested a Pulmonary Function Test. Any suggestions on specialties that I can see that may help with this "investigation".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Acute or Chronic Bronchitis?

Ask your doctor to sent you to a Pulmonologist for proper assessment and testing. As well, your doc should send you for allergy testing.

Have you had chest xrays?

q

Old 12-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Acute or Chronic Bronchitis?

I have the same thing every winter. It lasts about 4 weeks. It's viral so antibiotics won't do any good. The only thing that gets the cough under any control for me is the good cough syrup. That being said I also have asthma which gets wonky when this happens. You probably should have a PFT. Inhalers could also help.

Reply Reply