It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Lung Cancer

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-29-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
    Bernice
    Veteran
    (female)

Bernice HB User
    Lung Cancer

I quit smoking almost 16 years ago. Best thing I ever did. However I am hearing more and more about people who get lung cancer years after quitting smoking. My dad quit for over 20 years and he ended up with lung cancer and passed away 7 years ago tomorrow. My best friend is 65 years old and quit smoking 15 years ago and is now in the hospital with possible lung cancer. At first they thought she had pneumonia (same as my dad) and after a month she was still feeling sick and they did all kinds of tests on her and found out that she's got a lot of blood clots around her lungs and possibly in her legs. My friend is really healthy and doesn't take any kind of medication or anything before all this. She still works and is active and is not overweight. She basically takes care of herself. Now she has possible lung cancer but they can't do anything until the blood clots go away. They must have seen something on the X-ray because they are wanting to do a biopsy of her lungs. It really makes you think, trying to do the right thing by quitting smoking and you can still end up with lung cancer. It's really crappy. I know that quitting smoking is the best thing to do and I certainly am glad that I did quit but it's scary to know it's common in people who are past smokers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Lung Cancer

Bernice, it happens to people who have never smoked too. My husband was on 911, cleaning up afterwards and 4 of his friends - who never smoked- have been dx with Lung Cancer so far.....my husband has never smoked and he has had 2 lung biopsies...I wait every day praying that it won't happen to him too.

I understand your fear but statistically, you reduce your chances significantly of getting lung cancer the longer you have been a non-smoker. Your lungs do regenerate clean tissue and by minimizing your chances - the odds are still in your favor.

I am sorry for all you are going through. Stay strong.

Reply Reply