It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Possible lung problem?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2003, 02:16 PM   #1
    sugarplum_pdx
    (female)

sugarplum_pdx HB User
    Possible lung problem?

I have various symptoms which may or may not be related.
    First: For the past couple months I've noticed that when I'm lying down, if I breathe deeply, I can feel some sort of a "gurgle" or vibration or something on my left side, at the top of the breath. It doesn't hurt or anything, it's just an odd sensation. I mentioned it to my doctor when I last saw him, but he didn't seem concerned about it. He listened to my breathing with a stethoscope (while I was sitting up) and said everything sounded fine.

Second symptom: Lately I've been having the same thing that I see a lot of people here talking about -- the "air hunger" where you feel like you have to concentrate on getting a good, full breath. Or you yawn to get more oxygen. That happens to me daily, and especially when I eat. I also have anxiety, and symptoms of acid reflux disease, so one of those might be the explanation for the shortness of breath, but I don't know! I wonder if it's related to the lung sound.

Third: I've had a cough for the last couple months. It was originally related to a cold, but it's sort of lingering. I don't have to cough all the time, but when I do, it sounds like a hacking from deep in my lungs. I don't smoke or have any other reasons I can think of for a lingering cough. My doctor said I don't have an infection, because if I did, I'd have a fever.

I'm confused ... I feel concerned about these symptoms but it doesn't seem like my doctor thinks there's anything to worry about. He's not a quack, and I know he wouldn't say that if he didn't really believe it. So I want to believe him, but I keep thinking I should have this checked out again ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 03:52 PM   #2
    kini23
    (female)

kini23 HB User
    did you go to the doc?

I have the same symptoms you do when I am laying down. I have acid reflux too really bad so maybe that could be it. Did you go to a new doc? I have no insurance so I cant. Let me know whats up. I hope all is well.

Old 11-13-2003, 06:27 PM   #3
    sugarplum_pdx
    (female)

sugarplum_pdx HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kini23
    I have the same symptoms you do when I am laying down. I have acid reflux too really bad so maybe that could be it. Did you go to a new doc? I have no insurance so I cant. Let me know whats up. I hope all is well.
    I didn't go to a new doc, but I made another appointment with my current doc for early December. I'm going to discuss it with him then and see if he recommends any other tests. I'm thinking it might be good to get a chest x-ray just in case. But yeah, in the meantime, he has suggested that my acid reflux might be causing all this. He has started me on Protonix to see if it helps. I'm also avoiding dairy in my diet for a while (along with foods that aggravate acid reflux like citrus, caffeinated drinks, alcohol, chocolate etc.) to see if that helps.

Old 11-14-2003, 04:01 PM   #4
    wrin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wrin HB User
    The bit about dairy causing more secretions is a myth, in case you're wondering.

But still, a 'gurgle' like that down there (which I would probably call a coarse crackle) isn't normal.

Things to tell your doctor:

Does it clear with coughing?
    Do you cough up anything funny-coloured?
    Is it hard to cough this stuff up?
    Have you been sick lately and this may just be leftovers?
    Time of day, how you were feeling reflux-wise, that kind of thing.

Old 12-08-2003, 08:27 PM   #5
    kini23
    (female)

kini23 HB User
    Re: Possible lung problem?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sugarplum_pdx
    I didn't go to a new doc, but I made another appointment with my current doc for early December. I'm going to discuss it with him then and see if he recommends any other tests. I'm thinking it might be good to get a chest x-ray just in case. But yeah, in the meantime, he has suggested that my acid reflux might be causing all this. He has started me on Protonix to see if it helps. I'm also avoiding dairy in my diet for a while (along with foods that aggravate acid reflux like citrus, caffeinated drinks, alcohol, chocolate etc.) to see if that helps.
    Hey there I am just wondering if you ever went to the doc for the symptoms you were having and if so what did he say? I am curious to find out especially about the weird symptom you have when lying down. thanks Kini

Old 12-10-2003, 11:38 AM   #6
    sugarplum_pdx
    (female)

sugarplum_pdx HB User
    Re: Possible lung problem?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kini23
    Hey there I am just wondering if you ever went to the doc for the symptoms you were having and if so what did he say? I am curious to find out especially about the weird symptom you have when lying down. thanks Kini
    Hi - I did go to the doctor and he still thinks it's acid reflux. I don't think he heard the weird sound that I sometimes get when lying down, though. He did listen to my lungs for several minutes while sitting up and lying down, and he didn't say anything sounded abnormal. I assume he would've said something if he heard anything that indicated a serious lung problem. He wants me to go for an Upper GI x-ray to see if I have a hiatal hernia, and I have scheduled it for January. I'll let you know what I find out.

Closed Thread