It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Can anyone tell me about having a Bronchoscopy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2003, 06:48 PM   #1
    KaP
    (female)

KaP HB User
    Question Can anyone tell me about having a Bronchoscopy?

I am due to have a Bronchoscopy on Friday and wondered if anyone has had one and what it's like? What is going to happen?

Thanks,
    KaP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2003, 07:04 PM   #2
    ldolson

ldolson HB User
    I have had a couple of bronchoscopies. The first one about 18mos ago, under a mild sedation and the other one on Oct 1st under general anesthesia while undergoing a laser surgery on my trachea. The first one was a bit unnerving since I was awake and aware. What happens is they pass a tubing that has a camera on the end of it up a nostril and into your throat and down past your vocal cords into your trachea and then depending what they are looking for will determine how far they go into your lungs. They can take biopsies with this scope, also. You will need someone to drive you home, due to the anesthesia.
    I hope everything goes well for you.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:31 PM   #3
    KaP
    (female)

KaP HB User
    Idolson,
    That doesn't sound like something I'll be happy about!
    I don't want to be aware what's going on. They said they'd give me something to relax me. Were you given something? They are going to do a biopsy and a saline wash and also looking to see if they can tell why my right lung has collasped twice in the past month. I was in the hospital for 9 days with pneumonia. I can't seem to get rid of it and also have difficulty breathing. They found another nodule, but this time in my right lung.
    I've taken 4000mg a day of augmentin, but I still have an infection. Go figure!
    I hope all goes well too!
    Thanks for responding.
    KaP

Old 11-20-2003, 01:45 AM   #4
    ellis7

ellis7 HB User
    Re: Can anyone tell me about having a Bronchoscopy?

I've had 3 flexible bronchoscopys in 18 months, to biopsy a mass like region in the right lower lobe. They hooked me up to an IV and gave me Versed and morphine; then sprayed lidocaine down my throat to anesthetize the pharanx to minimize coughing, this was rather
    uncomfortable. I didn't get enough sedative on the first bronch and was awake the whole time. The 2nd and 3rd time I told them to give me enough to knock me out; I didn't remember a thing. I was a little wheezy for a couple of days afterwards.
    The 1st 2 times the bronchoscope tube was passed up my nose; the 3rd time, they said it went directly in my mouth. The bronchoscope has little tongs that can take tissue samples; also can take brushings and squirt saline.
    None of the bronchs found anything, other than some colonizing staph a. There is a small chance [5%] the bronchoscope could puncture the lung and cause a pneumothorax; in
    that case they would hold you til it resolved. You can't drive after the procedure because of the Versed.

Old 11-20-2003, 12:07 PM   #5
    wrin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wrin HB User

They'll snow ya, either with some Valium or some Versed (which is like powerful short-acting valium.)

Most bronchs I've seen the person was well-enough sedated that they didn't remember a lot of what went on and were pretty snowed, even afterwards. Sometimes we had to remind them to breathe.

Old 11-20-2003, 03:14 PM   #6
    KaP
    (female)

KaP HB User

Thank you again,
    That is the way I want to be, wrin. 'pretty snowed'
    I talked to the dr's. nurse today and she said if anything he is pretty generous with the meds for this procedure and is very conscience (sp.?) about a patients comfort.
    I do have something called dysplasia or dysphasia. I think that's how it is spelled, where I have trouble swallowing. I will remind him of that at 6:30 tomorrow morning. Thanks for all of your quick responses. I feel a little better now.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

KaP

Old 11-20-2003, 03:27 PM   #7
    wrin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wrin HB User

That would be dysphasia.

They'll also give you some nasty stuff to gargle to kill your gag reflex.

Because gagging on the bronchoscope is not a good thing.

They might go through your nose or they might stick in a bite block (big plastic thingummie) and go through your mouth.

The bronchoscope costs thousands of dollars to fix. The bite block is so you don't bite down on it and break it. Don't take it personally.

Old 11-20-2003, 07:15 PM   #8
    KaP
    (female)

KaP HB User

wrin,
    Thanks, I always get the spelling mixed up. It says on the pamphlet the nurse gave me they would give an IV and 2 kinds of meds. about 30 mins. before the procedure and then I would be given a breathing mask which would contain something I would breath that would numb my airway. Then I would get nose drops & a lubricated swabto test patency of the nostril before placing the scope. It says the lubrication helps numb the nostril. Then it says the nurse will inject small amts. of anesthetic through the scope as the dr. advances the scope to keep you from coughing.
    Is that about right? Are you or were you a nurse if you weren't a dr.? Just curious.
    I have a terrible gag reflex. I am going to warn him of that tomorrow.
    Thanks again. You are very helpful and I appreciate it!
    KaP

Old 11-22-2003, 12:31 PM   #9
    ldolson

ldolson HB User

I do have to say that being knocked out would be wonderful for this test. My first one I was very aware, due to not enough meds and cannot forget the horror of getting a tracheal block while awake. I was crying through the whole thing and am thankful that my second one was done while I was under general anesthesia. I do hope that your bronch went well yesterday. Mine never went into the lungs since I have a stenosis in my trachea. So I cannot give you any answers about the saline wash and such. Best of luck to you!!

Old 11-23-2003, 01:57 AM   #10
    KaP
    (female)

KaP HB User

Idolson,
    I was completely knocked out. Thank goodness. My doctor kept giving me shots in my IV until I was gone. Last thing I remember he was struggling to put on his sterile gown and looking at my xrays. I asked if he needed direction and everyone laughed and then I was out. He said it went well and they are supposed to call my Tues. if they find anything, but I don't think they will. Probably, just the name of the virus or bacteria that caused my pneumonia. I'm hoping!
    Sorry, about your bad experience. I told him before the procedure that he better knock me out or he'd have a fight on his hands. His nurse said he is very sympathetic to a patients comfort and wouldn't let me suffer, which was true.
    Thanks for your comments.
    KaP

Old 11-23-2003, 07:50 AM   #11
    ldolson

ldolson HB User

you are welcome!! I am glad that everything went so well as far as the testing goes. Good luck to you on Tuesday!!

Old 11-23-2003, 09:27 AM   #12
    KaP
    (female)

KaP HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ldolson
    you are welcome!! I am glad that everything went so well as far as the testing goes. Good luck to you on Tuesday!!
    Idolson,
    You mentioned something in your other post about trachea problems. If I'm not being too nosey may I ask what that is and how it affects you?
    Thank you again and I'll let you know if they find anything.

KaP

Last edited by KaP; 11-23-2003 at 09:28 AM.

Old 11-23-2003, 11:14 AM   #13
    wrin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wrin HB User

Not a doctor or a nurse ** actually, where I live, it isn't even nurses who assist with bronchoscopy ** it's Respiratory Therapists.

Old 11-23-2003, 01:36 PM   #14
    ldolson

ldolson HB User

Kap,

I have what is called "idiopathic subglottic stenosis." Basically that means I have a narrowing in my trachea beneath my vocal cords and no-one knows what is causing it. For some reason, I have scar tissue that likes to grow there and it can potentially completely close off my trachea. I have had six laser surgeries to open it back up, but the surgeries only buy me about 5-6 mos. at a time. I have been through all kinds of testing to see why I am getting it, but no answers. This started about two and half years ago. I was told by friends and those that I work with that I sounded as if I smoked five packs of cigarettes a day. The sound really didn't bother me too badly. But then I started to have problems breathing. I would get winded just from speaking. I went in for my yearly exam, and just happened to mention to my doc about breathing real loud. He listened to my lungs and thought I might have developed asthma or an allergy. This was in November. He told me that the allergy testing could be rather expensive, so I decided to wait until a new deductible year. In January the following year I saw an allergist and he did a Pulmonary function test and noticed I had more problems breathing in than out. He then scoped me and said that he thought he saw a webbing in my trachea and that I would most likely need surgery to correct it. He referred me to a local ENT and that doc sent me for CT scans a couple of times and nothing showed up. He knew I was having problems with stridor and he was sure he saw a narrowing also. So he decided to have me go through a bronchoscopy. That was my first one (the horrible one). After he confirmed the stenosis, I was scheduled for laser surgery a couple of weeks later. He performed that one himself, and afterwards, realized I was too complicated a case to handle. I was then referred to a ENT in Denver at the University of Colorado and she ordered a fine-cut CT upon which my stenosis was very clear. I had an airway that was the diameter of a small straw. Well, to make a very long story somewhat shorter, she has done five laserings on my trachea with mitomycin-C application. The last one I had was Oct.1st. Next step will be a resection of the trachea since the lasering doesn't seem to be doing the job. She has referred me to a pulmonologist about my lack of oxygen problems, since my stenosis is not yet bad again. So... who knows? My insurance company loves me I am sure!! My total of my bills for all of this is well over $200,000. Thank God for insurance. BUT I do not have it so bad. There are many other women out there with this problem who have had it so much worse than me. This problem seems to hit more women than men and is pretty rare in adults. Some people get it from being intubated for long periods of time, but since mine is idiopathic, there is no known cause. Sorry this is so long, but alot has happened in the last two years. And this is the short version!
    Keep me up to date on your results.
    Denice

Old 11-23-2003, 07:40 PM   #15
    KaP
    (female)

KaP HB User

Idolson,
    Wow, a lot has happened to you in the past 2 yrs. I have never heard of that, but then there are a lot of things I'm ignorant of.
    Do you also have trouble swallowing? Let me know how you are doing. I wish you the best and hope everything turns out well.
    I didn't think your post was too long for the information you gave. I am much longer winded than that when I get on a topic I am passionate about. Like thea rare condition I suffer from called 'small nerve bundle sensory neuropathy'. We(the doctor&I) call it PSN(painful sensory neuropathy)for short. It affects the small nerve cells which control pain. Whenever wind, sun or the clothes I wear touch my body the nerves tell me I am burning up and my skin feels like I have been burnt in a fire. My skin actually turns pink and some times my hands and feet swell. It is very painful and odd!
    Sorry, that was a bit off topic.
    Thank you again for responding,
    Let me know whenever anything happens with your condition. i am very interested.

KaP

Last edited by KaP; 11-23-2003 at 07:43 PM.

Closed Thread