It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• early symptoms of bronchitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2003, 01:53 AM   #1
    beebsqtip

beebsqtip HB User
    early symptoms of bronchitis

What are the early signs of bronchitis. I do smoke on and off usually at work or at social gatherings. I smoked for about 11 years on and off. I just got over a normal every day cold, but I noticed today that I had a lot of phlem (not sure how to spell!) build up and my lung is pinching. I feel like a lot of phlem is stuck in my lungs, it almost feels like its all in my stomach. My know isn't stuffy all that much. This could be all in my head, but I just thought I should ask anyways. Is there anything to prevent it from coming if it is just beginning. Is there anything I can do to make it better. Or is this something that just goes away over time. I know I have had it happen to me before but I also I have panic disorder that contributes to it. Thats why I came to this board to cover all my base's (if you know what I mean!). Anyways, I haven't smoked all day and I don't plan to anymore. I'm doing this for myself and my daughter. I am 26 and I don't want something serious to happen to me. Thank you!!

Last edited by beebsqtip; 12-22-2003 at 01:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2003, 03:21 AM   #2
    ellis7

ellis7 HB User
    Re: early symptoms of bronchitis

See: [url]http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00031[/url] Bronchitis
    Excerpts:
    "Signs and symptoms

A cough that brings up yellowish-gray or green mucus (sputum) is one of the main signs of bronchitis. Mucus itself isn't abnormal your airways produce at least an ounce of normal secretions every day. But these secretions usually don't accumulate because they're continuously cleared into your throat and swallowed with your saliva. When your bronchial tubes are inflamed, however, they often produce large amounts of discolored mucus that comes up when you cough. Mucus that isn't white or clear usually means there's a secondary infection.

Still, these signs can be deceptive. You don't always produce sputum when you have bronchitis, and children often swallow coughed-up material, so parents may not know it's infected.

Other signs and symptoms of bronchitis may include:

Soreness and a feeling of constriction or burning in your chest
    Breathlessness
    Wheezing
    Chills
    Overall malaise and slight fever

Sometimes chronic sinusitis an ongoing infection in the lining of one or more of the cavities in the bone around your nose can mimic bronchitis. That's because the signs and symptoms of chronic sinusitis include a thick, yellow or green discharge and a chronic cough that's triggered when you try to clear your throat of mucus draining from your sinuses

Treatment

Because bronchitis usually results from a viral infection, your doctor won't give you antibiotics, which aren't effective against viruses. Instead, getting plenty of rest, drinking extra liquids and taking a nonprescription cough medicine are the cornerstones of treatment for acute bronchitis. Your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic if he or she suspects a bacterial, mycoplasma or chlamydia infection, or if you're a past or current smoker. And if you have asthma, your doctor may recommend an inhaler and other asthma medications to reduce inflammation and open narrowed passages in your lungs."

Old 12-22-2003, 01:35 PM   #3
    beebsqtip

beebsqtip HB User
    Re: early symptoms of bronchitis

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ellis7
    See: [url]http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00031[/url] Bronchitis
    Excerpts:
    "Signs and symptoms

A cough that brings up yellowish-gray or green mucus (sputum) is one of the main signs of bronchitis. Mucus itself isn't abnormal your airways produce at least an ounce of normal secretions every day. But these secretions usually don't accumulate because they're continuously cleared into your throat and swallowed with your saliva. When your bronchial tubes are inflamed, however, they often produce large amounts of discolored mucus that comes up when you cough. Mucus that isn't white or clear usually means there's a secondary infection.

Still, these signs can be deceptive. You don't always produce sputum when you have bronchitis, and children often swallow coughed-up material, so parents may not know it's infected.

Other signs and symptoms of bronchitis may include:

Soreness and a feeling of constriction or burning in your chest
    Breathlessness
    Wheezing
    Chills
    Overall malaise and slight fever

Sometimes chronic sinusitis an ongoing infection in the lining of one or more of the cavities in the bone around your nose can mimic bronchitis. That's because the signs and symptoms of chronic sinusitis include a thick, yellow or green discharge and a chronic cough that's triggered when you try to clear your throat of mucus draining from your sinuses

Treatment

Because bronchitis usually results from a viral infection, your doctor won't give you antibiotics, which aren't effective against viruses. Instead, getting plenty of rest, drinking extra liquids and taking a nonprescription cough medicine are the cornerstones of treatment for acute bronchitis. Your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic if he or she suspects a bacterial, mycoplasma or chlamydia infection, or if you're a past or current smoker. And if you have asthma, your doctor may recommend an inhaler and other asthma medications to reduce inflammation and open narrowed passages in your lungs."
    Thank you for replying. This helped me out a lot. Since I know it can't get medication from a doctor. I am going to prevent it from getting worse. Lots of rest, fluids and cough meds. Thanks again.

Closed Thread