It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• "Physiological Pulmononary Insufficiency"-What does this mean??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2004, 09:32 AM   #1
    PinkBanana

PinkBanana HB User
    "Physiological Pulmononary Insufficiency"-What does this mean??

Recently, I had an echocardiogram(ruling out heart disease b/c I have murmurs & PVCs), which came out normal as far as my heart goes. BUT..on the sheet that we received, it says "There is physiological pulmonary insuffiency". What does that mean?? I know PSYCHOLOGICAL means in the brain but what does physiological mean? I have been told I have asthma & am being treated for it..does that just mean the echo showed the asthma?? Or something else??
    thanks for any input~!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 04:39 PM   #2
    wrin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wrin HB User
    Re: "Physiological Pulmononary Insufficiency"-What does this mean??

Physiological means in the body, psychological actually means in the mind, in the brain (more specifically the nervous system) would be neurological.

The whole pulmonary thing is confusing, but you actually have a pulmonary valve, which is not in your lungs, but is in your heart. "Insufficiency" means that it doesn't work as good as it should -- in this case, it means the valve isn't doing as good of a job as it should be, and is letting some blood slosh back into your right ventricle instead of heading on out into your lungs.

If your doc isn't worried about it (as some degree of regurgitation is normal) then you shouldn't be either.

Closed Thread