It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Sudden sharp chest pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
    Ann21

Ann21 HB User
    Sudden sharp chest pain

Last night I was just standing in my bedroom when out of no where the upper left side of my chest started to ache a bit.

Within a couple of minutes, I was curled up in my bed having these horrible sharp chest pains. I tried to pinpoint the pain but couldn't, it wasn't coming from somewhere that could be touched. I've never had a pain like this before. This lasted about 5 minutes then turned into a more pressure-like feeling. It happened once more and returned again to the tight pressure feeling.

My husband thought it could be a muscle spasm, said he has them all the time. Also thought it could be some kind of heartburn (which I have never had before, so I wouldn't know what this feels like, but we had a bland chicken and rice dinner that night). I took some Tums. Nothing helped, and the pressure and pain was there all night, but not nearly as severe as when it began.

I woke up this morning and my chest was still hurting, still is now at 5 pm. It is hard to describe the pain, feels like I am against a wall and someone is pushing and putting constant pressure on where it hurts.

On a side note, I have had a numb leg (from big toe to knee) for almost 6 months now. I don't know if this is related. The pain is located where you put your hand for the Pledge of Allegiance in the USA. If you keep your palm still and move your fingers, it is where my sharp pain was last night. The dull pain is there as well as under the palm.

Any clue?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
    TikkiRo
    (female)

TikkiRo HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Sudden sharp chest pain

Hi Anne - just had to write as I had an entire week of an episode pretty similar to yours last week. Mind you, mine did appear to start after some heavier lifting of stuff than I'm used to , so I happily initially put it down to muscle spasm. Like you I had central chest pressure (right on the breastbone), but then had this spasmodic colicky type sharp pain that would welt in, hit me like a hammer, take my breath away for no more than 5 secs at a time and then go for variable intervals before hitting again. However I did note that it went completely overnight. I found it worse lying on my left side too. I ignored it until Thurs when by that point I was also much more breathless than usual (got a series of rheumatic/autoimmune conditions so used to pain problems), and so I toddled off to my GP (live in the UK). He determined that my heart/lungs appeared fine but to go to the hosp if it didn't improve by the next morning, so Fri saw me duly having a chest XR and ECG done - the latter was normal, the former apparently shows I have hyperinflation of my lungs - interesting but not related. The doc here too also agreed it was most likely muscular in origin and would settle as indeed it has now - however he also said I'd been very sensible and had done the right thing in getting it checked out. At this stage I feel like it may be more in relation to my small hiatal hernia and reflux as it does tend to feel very like a gas bubble of sorts if that makes sense? Pain was very severe when it was at its worst, so you can see how it could be misinterpreted. What i would say tho is that you equally consider getting it checked out if it is concerning you as like me, even if you get told it's only muscular you may discover other incidental problems along the way perhaps. Now who knows anything about "hyperinflated" lungs - that's what I need to know

Good luck with getting it sorted anyway.
    Romayne

Old 05-10-2004, 03:39 PM   #3
    jerrie97
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerrie97 HB User
    Re: Sudden sharp chest pain

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TikkiRo
    Hi Anne - just had to write as I had an entire week of an episode pretty similar to yours last week. Mind you, mine did appear to start after some heavier lifting of stuff than I'm used to , so I happily initially put it down to muscle spasm. Like you I had central chest pressure (right on the breastbone), but then had this spasmodic colicky type sharp pain that would welt in, hit me like a hammer, take my breath away for no more than 5 secs at a time and then go for variable intervals before hitting again. However I did note that it went completely overnight. I found it worse lying on my left side too. I ignored it until Thurs when by that point I was also much more breathless than usual (got a series of rheumatic/autoimmune conditions so used to pain problems), and so I toddled off to my GP (live in the UK). He determined that my heart/lungs appeared fine but to go to the hosp if it didn't improve by the next morning, so Fri saw me duly having a chest XR and ECG done - the latter was normal, the former apparently shows I have hyperinflation of my lungs - interesting but not related. The doc here too also agreed it was most likely muscular in origin and would settle as indeed it has now - however he also said I'd been very sensible and had done the right thing in getting it checked out. At this stage I feel like it may be more in relation to my small hiatal hernia and reflux as it does tend to feel very like a gas bubble of sorts if that makes sense? Pain was very severe when it was at its worst, so you can see how it could be misinterpreted. What i would say tho is that you equally consider getting it checked out if it is concerning you as like me, even if you get told it's only muscular you may discover other incidental problems along the way perhaps. Now who knows anything about "hyperinflated" lungs - that's what I need to know

Good luck with getting it sorted anyway.
    Romayne

Having hyperinflated lungs means that you have some air trapped in them. It could be from when they tell you to hold your breath during the chest x-ray, or it could be from something else.

I had a pain like that once, I didn't know what it was until I got a lung CT scan for an unrelated reason. Turns out that it was atelectasis - a small, contracted piece of lung.

To the original poster, I suggest you get it checked out immediately, especially because you have numbness in your legs. Make sure you tell the doctor about your leg.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
    Re: Sudden sharp chest pain

Are you on birth control pills?
    Not to scare you, but it could be some kind of blood clot from that.
    I've been on them for almost 2 years now & still, even though the doctors know I have asthma, if I go in for chest pain, the blood clot tests have to be done to make sure I don't have a collapsed lung..as there is that risk with birth control pills. Also they are known to aggravate/cause asthma. I would def get it checked out- if it's nothing, at least you have your peace of mind. Better safe than sorry!

Closed Thread