It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Shortness of breath and throat/chest pains - What to expect

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
    woodahs
    (female)

woodahs HB User
    Shortness of breath and throat/chest pains - What to expect

I have been having the following symptoms for about a week now and I am wondering if anyone knows what it could be?

I feel like I have a chest cold way down deep in my chest
    I can't take in a deep breath without coughing some and my throat hurting
    In the top part of my chest and also in my throat I feel little stabbing-like pains all over (they're hard to describe). When I swallow it sometimes causes the stabbing pains in my throat. Sometimes the pains go to my back as well
    My throat and chest also feel tight

It feels like I can't get in as much air as I normally should (but it may be my imagination). It seems like I get winded when I normally shouldn't.

Some additional info if it may help - I don't have a cold, don't smoke, and when I cough I don't cough up anything. It doesn't feel like there's any fluid or anything in my chest though, it just feels tight and very small-like (like I can't get in much air). I do have allergies & have been put on medication for them.

I don't think my shortness of breath is caused by any kind of weight problem, I am 5'4" and 138lbs - I don't think I'm overweight, but it probably wouldn't hurt if I could lose a few pounds either (which I am trying to do, but am finding it very hard needless to say lol)

I plan on going to the doc soon about this but I just wanted to post this here so I could expect what the doc might say to me. Also, when I do go, will the doc likely give me any kind of test or anything to most accurately determine what is wrong?

Thanks

Last edited by woodahs; 09-09-2004 at 07:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #2
    ldolson

ldolson HB User
    Re: Shortness of breath and throat/chest pains - What to expect

I would suggest getting a chest xray and maybe mentioning the possibility of reflux. With the shortness of breath your doc might want an EKG done to check your heart. Definitely tell him/her of all of your symptoms. In the meantime, you could try an over the counter reflux med to see if that alleviates any of your problems. Best of luck to you!!

Old 09-14-2004, 05:42 PM   #3
    keiyada_r
    (female)

keiyada_r HB User

I think you may have bronchitis. I had those same symptoms and i just went to the doctor yesterday. they did an x-ray on my chest and it turns out I have bronchitis. the feeling that you aren't getting enough oxygen is proably in your head. cuz i felt like that and they said my oxygen level was perfect. but anyways just get it checked out to make sure. after ten days of antibiotics you should be fine.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:44 PM   #4
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Also have your thyroid checked. I have hypothyroid, and very similar symptoms.

Closed Thread