It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Can't get a deep breath of air

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2004, 03:08 PM   #1
    Jazzmine1212
    (female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User
    Can't get a deep breath of air

In the last week or so I've been having problems getting a deep breath of air. It's been getting worse as the days go and sometimes I yawn and can't get that deep breath yawn. It's weird. I went to Urgent Care today and they gave me an EKG and a chest x-ray. Both were normal. The doc said it might just be irritants in the air. I decided to go to an allergy doc. he didn't find anything wrong either. He took my blood sample for testing. He gave me Allegra and a nose spray called Nasacort. I noticed my breathing problem get worse after I have eaten. I hate it...I sometimes find myself too winded to talk. But sometimes I'm fine. Has anyone had anything like this? I'm just really scared because nobody seems to think I have a problem. What do I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
    proudmom47

proudmom47 HB User
    Re: Can't get a deep breath of air

Do you find that your pulse goes up also after you have eaten? I have noticed this about myself. I think I have a sensitivity to some foods. I just know that I feel really bad and tired after I have eaten them.
    Also, read the other kajillion posts on here about breathing problems. A lot of people seem to have it and their symptoms are very similar. They have been tested for everything and appear to be normal. I have asthma, but that is easily diagnosed with a pulminary function test which an allergy doctor can do.

Last edited by proudmom47; 09-27-2004 at 07:42 PM.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User

The fact that you said

I noticed my breathing problem get worse after I have eaten.

Could well be the key. Look up GERD - gastro eosophagul reflux disease. This can simply cause breathing problems in its atypical form. Worse breathing problems after eating is a bit of a give away - this is uncommon for heart of lung problems. Your problems might be resolved with an antacid medication. Ask your doc about this.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:25 AM   #4
    Jazzmine1212
    (female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User

Thank you soooooooo much HBEP for the advice. I'm making my appointment tomorrow with the Gastroenterology doc. I had gone to another doc today that put me on an anti-anxiety drug. The breathing problem didn't go away although I did feel more relaxed. I hope this is it! The breathing problem is constant....even when I have eaten hours ago....It gets really bad 10 minutes after I eat though. I also feel full all the time, burp a lot and have a funny feeling in my throat. Thank you again for the advice. I was in tears for a couple days wondering why nobody knew what was wrong with me. Today a third doctor said I have anxiety and I believed him. There is a posting called "Air Hunger" on the board that many people have posted pretty much the same thing I've been going through this last week. They all didn't know what to do or what they had. Some have had it for 7-20 years! I posted a reply giving them the advice you gave me. I hope it helps them! Thanks again!

Old 09-29-2004, 05:39 PM   #5
    ldolson

ldolson HB User

Good luck with your doctor's appt. The testing for GERD is not a fun experience. Just a reminder that if you are taking anything for heartburn, you will want to discontinue the medication for your testing. With reflux, the acid can make it into your trachea and into your lungs. It can even cause scarring in those areas.. I have a condition called tracheal stenosis, which can be caused by GERD, but in my case it was not. I know that alot of people have been diagnosed with anxiety as the reason for their air hunger. Some have even mentioned vocal cord dysfunction. Stenosis is actual narrowing of an area. Mine is(was) in the trachea. Scar tissue that grew for some unknown reason. After three years of dealing with this and multiple surgical procedures I finally had that portion of my trachea removed. Breathing is not a chore anymore. Hopefully it will last. Good luck with the doc and may you get some much needed answers!!

Old 09-29-2004, 09:00 PM   #6
    Jazzmine1212
    (female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User

Well I went to the doc today and he thinks it's stress and anxiety too. But he gave me samples of Nulev and Protonix to take for the gas. I feel a bit better, but the air hunger is there with my anxiety. I start to get anxious and try to calm myself down, but then I'll cry and strangely crying helps me with my first two breaths of air (Sometimes). I am feeling like crying again because I don't know what this is. I feel that gas feeling has diminished and I can lie down without problems. I feel very nauseous though. I've been feeling this way a few days now since the air hunger problem started. Did any of you have any of my symptoms? I try to relax and try to calm myself down...I feel very out of it (for a few days) and I feel like I'm in someone elseís body. I couldn't sleep last night because of the anxiety I was having about my breathing problem. I'm hoping if I keep taking the ant-acid and the other muscle relaxing pill (or whatever it does to the stomach) the doc gave me works. I feel very depressed. The Doc said I have ďair hungerĒ too. I know one thing though when I get upset about it and think about it (as in when Iím typing this) Iím feeling it more and more. Does that happen to you guys too? Again I hope this is it and he said if it doesnít work by Friday to take Buspar (he gave me a prescription for it) Itís and anti-anxiety drug. By the way Iím also feeling confused too. I told the doc about this website and that most people with hair hunger have had it for years he said itís one in a million and it will go away. I hope heís right. God bless all of you that has this.

Old 09-30-2004, 04:39 AM   #7
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User

Hi Jazzmine,

Just to say I hope the antacids help. You also said 'I also feel full all the time, burp a lot and have a funny feeling in my throat.' These are also all symptoms of a digestive disorder. I am currently battling with air hunger myself and the anxiety that comes with it. I often think that docs look at this the wrong way round. You can get breathing problems caused by GERD, this causes anxiety, so then, of course you are suffering from anxiety, but because of an underlying medical condition. The anxiety then makes the gerd worse (causes the stomach to produce more acid) so you are caught in a viscious cycle. It's true that anxiety symptoms can mimic gerd. It would be great in your case if it is solely anxiety and the anxiety meds help. Then again, if you aren't getting relief I would look in to a medication called PPI's - proton pump inhibitors.

I am currently being driven mad by the same problem myself - 8 weeks now. Have also had the heart /lung tests - all fine. For me it was a little easier to know the cause as I've had it very briefly before, my symptoms generally start with the full feeling in the stomach after eating, then progress to breathing problems and pressure feeling in my esophagus and sternum. I am in the UK so am having to wait ages for my gasto ento appt. Although my GP is pretty sure it's digestive disorder related. I am on drugs for that but so far no let up on the breathing problems. If you check the digestive disorders board you will find lots of gerd sufferers with breathing problems.

It's really, really hard to get the anxiety under control as not being able to breathe properly is so awful. Do you get the feeling of pressure in your chest - a sensation of wanting to burp to relieve the breathing problems, but if you do it doesn't help?

Anyway, let me know how you get on,

best,

hbep.

Last edited by hbep; 09-30-2004 at 04:41 AM.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #8
    Jazzmine1212
    (female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User
    Talking Re: Can't get a deep breath of air

Wow! After a day of taking these digestive drugs the doc gave me, I feel sooooooooo much better! It's amazing. You were right my breathing problem is due to my digestive disorder that I think I have now. The breathing problem starts again when I put the first bite of food in my mouth. It's crazy! I'm not exactly sure what kind of problem I have but at least I know what's causing the weird symptoms I've been having. So when I eat I have to walk around and then I start belching (gross) and I have to rub my stomach. Coincidentally I had an OBGYN appt. today and I told the doc what happened. We were also taking about Vitamins (Calcium and multi) she said vitamins cause digestive problems too and to stop taking them. Ironically I told her that I starting taking them a few days before this whole breathing/stomach problem began. She said well then that's probably what's giving you more problems. I have to call my GI tomorrow and tell him that these drugs worked. Although my Gyno said to only take the Protonix and not take the Nulev. I had lunch without taking the Nulev to see how things go. I told my parents how a wonderful person from England gave me this advice and if it wasnít for you I would have probably been on anti-anxiety drugs for no reason! Thanks again for helping me. God bless you!!

Warm wishes from California!

Old 10-05-2004, 12:08 PM   #9
    Jean31

Jean31 HB User

HI I was just wondering if you could let me know if your breathing problems went away. I am having the same exact symptoms since July it is constant every day I find myself needing to yawn to get air in. I have been to several DR's who keep telling me it's stress and anxiety but the only thing I am stressed over is not being able to breath. If you could please post again I would appreciate it. Thanks so much

Old 10-05-2004, 04:04 PM   #10
    Jazzmine1212
    (female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User

Hi,

Yes I'm almost positive it's due to a digestive disorder. The tough part is gone...meaning my breathing problems have almost completly went away. The only time I noticed I have the breathing problem is when I have a lot of gas and indigestion....even though I haven't eaten that much. I'm taking gas ex for that now to see if it works. If not then I'm going to have an upper endoscopy done to see what is the problem. The Nulev is what really helped me actaully. I think it's worth a shot. I was getting stressed out because I couldn't breath right and I didn't know what the problem was. Now that I know it's a gastric problem I'm not as scared and nervous and the breathing thing is under control. I don't have that anxiety anymore of not knowing what's wrong with me. I'm going to start going to the gym again to make sure I'm in good shape. That would probably help a lot too. Try to relax and take your mind off the breathing thing. I know when I started to mentally control my anxiety I felt better. It's hard to do at times, but give the Nulev a try as well as stretching and relaxing. It helped me. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2004, 06:23 PM   #11
    Jean31

Jean31 HB User

Thanks for your reply I don't feel like I have anything wrong with my stomach but it's worth a try. Were you having stomach problems or the only symptom you had was this annoying breathing thing? It's driving me nuts I have had it since July Thanks again

Old 10-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #12
    Jazzmine1212
    (female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User

I've never had stomach problem before. Totally healthy person. I didn't even think it was stomach related until later I heard about there being a link. It's worth a try. Good luck

Old 11-25-2004, 11:23 PM   #13
    americansage

americansage HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Can't get a deep breath of air

All the symptoms experienced on this thread are probably Cronic Hyperventilation Syndrome. Google it and see if it fits you. I have had all these same symptoms for the last 2 years and seen doctors galore. Most doctors are not very educated about CHS b/c the symptoms can also be caused by alot of other things. Some potentially serious if not check out. However, if you have seen alot of doctors and they say it is stress then it is probably CHS. Check it out.

americansage

Closed Thread