It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Constant need to YAWN air Hunger

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2004, 02:32 PM   #1
    Jean31

Jean31 HB User
    Constant need to YAWN air Hunger

For the past 3 months I have been having this annoying feeling that I keep needing to Yawn or Sigh to try to get a deep breath in. Sometimes it works other times it feels like my air is stuck and I cant get a deep breath and feel pressure building up in my chest untill I can get the breath in. This is driving me crazy it is every day all day long. It is there as soon as I wake up untill I go to sleep.
    I REALLY need some help on this. It started in July a few days after I had a wisdom tooth pulled and was put on erythromycin I don't know if that has any connection but it started right after that.
    Every few minutes I get an uncontrolable need to Yawn or sigh, it feels like pressure building up in my chest and the yawn releases the pressure but a few minutes later it happens again. But alot of time I cant get the Yawn in it feels like my air just gets stuck. I went to the DR and he thinks it's allergies or GERD but I dont know if he is right but becuase I didnt try the medicine after I read the side effects I was afraid to try it.
    I had anxiety attacks in 1999 so I dont know if this is yet another symptom of anxiety even though I have not had an attack in so long and I dont feel anxiety over anything EXCEPT this annoying breathing pattern. PLEASE if anyone has anything like this please let me know I am really frustrated. I saw all the posts on air hunger from last year.
    I am really hoping someone who posted then may have figured out this problem by now and could help me. I have researched my problem and have found nothing that helps.
    THANKS Jean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2004, 01:13 AM   #2
    GodChaser777
    (male)

GodChaser777 HB User
    Re: Constant need to YAWN air Hunger

This is a well known Anxiety disorder you should see a Doctor and let him know I have suffered from this since the 6th grade so its been awhile.

Old 11-20-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
    Jean31

Jean31 HB User

Just wondering you said that you have this and it is not from anxiety do you know what is causing yours? Is it asthma or something else? If it is caused by asthma is that a typical asthma symptom?

Also to the person that said it is anxiety do you have only this symptom from anxiety?

I still have not found an answer for mine some days it is worse than others though for no reason.

Old 11-25-2004, 11:09 PM   #4
    americansage

americansage HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Constant need to YAWN air Hunger

You are suffering from Cronic Hyperventilation Syndrome. Google it and you will find all the answers you need. I have been suffering from the same thing for the last 2 years after a bout with stressful times which usually preceeds it. But not always. There is no known cause for it. I have read about perfectly healthy people waking up and there you go. I did not find out a name of what we have until recently thanks to "air hunger" thread. Anyways check it out. Now that I know what my problems is I know I am no longer crazy and can get over it with some help. Knowing is half the battle and I no longer freak out when the breathing acts up. I go with the flow. No big deal anymore with me.

americansage

The Following User Says Thank You to americansage For This Useful Post:
    sweetalker (03-29-2011)
    Old 01-13-2005, 05:46 AM   #5
    Jingles
    (female)

Jingles HB User

Hi all

I too suffer from Chronic Hyperventilation syndrome, and have had it for about 4 months. I have the same symptoms as you have all described, Air hunger, need to yawn and also get dizziness from time to time. At present I am seeing a physiotherapist to correct my breathing patterns but unfortunately progress is slow. I would love to hear how you are all doing and anyone else who is suffering from this and if there is hope for me to get better! Just to let you know a great book on the subject is "Hyperventilation Syndrome" by Dinah Bradley. This book tells you all you need to know on the condition.
    I think mine is related to anxiety but also unfortunately your brain becomes accustomed to the amount you breathe, therefore even when I am not anxious I still overbreathe from habit. Its a nightmare!
    Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:54 AM   #6
    jbsim
    Veteran
    (female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User
    Unhappy Re: Constant need to YAWN air Hunger

I have had this for the past 4 years are so. The past few weeks it has gotten so bad because my Grandma was dying then she did pass away a few days ago. Now I have wheezing with it when I go to take a deep breath I can hear the wheezing and my lungs and throat are a mess. My muscles hurt from all this breathing. My throat and lungs are feeling very scratchy. Normally its just a pain and makes me scared now its so bad. Im not sure if I am sick now are I just hyperventlated to much. But I know its so hard to change your breathing habits once you get this. I think I should be on meds maybe zanax or something to calm the nerves. Seems to be better when I feel calm. Doesnt bother me when Im sleeping starts about a half hour after waking up and lasts the whole day. Now I am starting to get scared to go far away from the house I hope Im not getting agraphobia. Seems to get worse when I go on along walk I get so nervous. But the wheezing is scary me know hope it goes away soon.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #7
    BrianAB
    (male)

BrianAB HB User

I've gone thru symptoms of shortness of breath, pressure in the chest, lungs inflate/deflate but don't absorb oxygen... panic attacks. Constant urge to yawn (only relief). After seeing Drs. who had no answer or "you don't have allergies" I have had huge relief by avoiding salt and breads/foods containing yeast. Do an engine search on yeast allergy and you'll find some info. I've also been thru lung testing and they've told me there's nothing wrong with my lungs.

Last edited by BrianAB; 01-23-2005 at 06:16 PM.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:44 PM   #8
    MKLowTone

MKLowTone HB User

The thing with Chronic Low-Grade Hyperventilation is that (with me anyway) it is closely related with stress/anxiety/panic

For about 4 months I was suffering from it but now I've calmed down a lot (mainly due to becoming slightly less of a hypchondriac in my case) and the air-hunger went away, for the most part. It still rears its ugly head every now and again but I jsut have to force myself to concentrate on my breathing for a few minutes and then I find that it's gone away (and I'm getting drowsy - too relaxed from not worrying )

But like others have said, try to make sure it's not a respiratory problem where you're genuinely not getting enough air in, but I think it's more likely to be stress/anxiety/panic related if it's come on so suddenly

Closed Thread