It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Can Exercise And Weight Loss Improve Your Spirometry Test Results ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
    kobeck
    (male)

kobeck HB User
    Can Exercise And Weight Loss Improve Your Spirometry Test Results ?

Iwas curuirios if anyone knows weather exercise and weight loss can improve ones spirometry results? I would think if you are fat and overweight and huff and puff walking up the stairs you would not do well on that spirometry machine................................. ........................And the reason I ask this is because I failed my test, lol, and I am fat and out of shape and never exercised in my life. I do get out of breath when I walk up the stairs after a heavy meal, but it hasnt been getting worse, I have always gortton out of beath with exertion. I am 40 years old. I read the print out on that machine and it said "severe obstruction" well I freaked out, but the doctor said I am too fat and he doesnt think I have COPD, he said come back in a month and try again and do it on an empty stomach. I also have an hiatel hernia which gives me ENORMOUS amounts of gas and when I get that gas I cant take a deep breath.........I would like some advice please

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User
    Re: Can Exercise And Weight Loss Improve Your Spirometry Test Results ?

I am also overweight and have low spirometry readings. I was diagnosed with asthma 3 years ago, however, I have never had an asthma "attack". I do have allergies, but I think my "asthma" has a LOT to do with my weight and being out of shape. My allergist even said so. I also have acid reflux and a hiatal hernia. She came right out and said she thought all of my problems would be solved if I would lose weight. I need to lose about75 lbs. I have also developed stomach fat, which I think is associated with my age (48). I have never had a lot of fat around my stomach until 3 years ago. I also have a little high blood sugar. So, there you have it, all of these t hings can be resolved with losing this stupid weight! I have joined a gym and have a trainer! I do get a little winded when I climb stairs, but really I have noticed other people and they are no different from me!. Today I walked 2 miles and lifted weights and hope to have the discipline to continue. Hang in there! Lose your weight and then go back to get another spirometry test! I bet it will improve!

Old 01-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
    kobeck
    (male)

kobeck HB User
    Re: Can Exercise And Weight Loss Improve Your Spirometry Test Results ?

Hi-yes I need to loose 60 pounds so you and I are alike, I get out of breath after eatting a heavy meal and then walking up stairs, lol......My Spirometry test impression read "SEVER OBSTRUCTION" i NEALY FAINTED WHEN I READ IT, then i took another and blew as hard as i could and it improved from thast first diagnosis but was still abnormal. my doc thinks i have a hiatel hernia, I get huge amounts of gas and belching and when i get the gas I cant take a deep breath, also my back musciles are very tight and rigid which i attribute to being sdo out of shape, i wonder if thats hindering my lungs from properly expanding for this test...............You know, my main concern of all this is COPD or EMPHYSEMIA................

Closed Thread