It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Severe chest pain from upper breast bone to lower back rib cage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
    radiator
    (male)

radiator HB User
    Severe chest pain from upper breast bone to lower back rib cage

Three months ago I started to get discomfort breating in. Got worse and by night time so severe I was ambulanced to A&E with the most severe left side chest pain. My whole left side muscle spasmed - excruciating, couldn't breathe apart from very shallow breaths. Couldn't stand, sit or lay down. Leant over gurney while having shot of pethidine. Following day had lots of tests while still in extreme pain - ECG, chest x-ray and ultrasound normal (apart from small 1cm on liver that was told was not a problem). Blood tests mostly normal apart from elevated MB. Further test for tropinin showed no sign of heart attack. Discharged with painkillers and antiinflammotires and over next week and half pain gradually disappeared. A few days after that the whole process started on the right side. Exact same pattern - another X-ray blood tests etc. Nothing found. Health insurance sent me to a second hospital for second opinion. Again nothing found and at that stage pain had residied. That was three months ago.
    Seven days agonthe same thing started to happen. Pain on breathing on right side very uncomfortable, couldn't cough sneeze etc but could sleep OK. After about 5 days pain gradually went way. A day later same thing again occurs on right side except extremely severe. Very hard to breathe. If I lay down on feels like my chest is being crushed. Breathing deeply excrucitating. Painkillers antiinflammotories ineffective. Pain on breathing in stretches from upper right breastbone near shoulder to lower ribcage on side towards back. Its now 1am and cant sleep because I can lay down wihout being in extreme pain. Sounds like pleurisy (but no recent history of lung infection) or possibly chostocronditis (although seems to radiate too far adn no history of recent trauma). Grateful for any advice or ideas as to what this could be and what to do. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread