It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Paralyzed Diaphragm

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
    bootleg4now
    (female)

bootleg4now HB User
    Question Paralyzed Diaphragm

Hi!

My Mom has been having trouble breathing, and after several test and hospital visits, it has been determined that the left side of her diaphragm is paralyzed. The pulmonologist she is seeing said it could have been caused by a viral infection. He also said it may, or may not, be permanent.

Has anyone every heard of this? I can't find much info on the web, and due to health problems of my own, I haven't been able to go with Mom to the DR.

Mom is also diabetic and in her 70s. What kind of damage, if any, is being done to the lung that is not in use? Are there any kinds of exercises she can do to strengthen her right lung? Other than the lung problem, she is pretty healthy. If anyone has ever heard of this, please let me know.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Tara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
    PitBull1993
    (female)

PitBull1993 HB User
    Re: Paralyzed Diaphragm

My neighbor has the same thing on both sides, they have sent him for many tests and he's now on oxegen, expecially when he sleeps. His doctor says it's a form of ALS ( Lou Gerigs disease). But that never seemed right to me because he's had this condition for a while now and he can walk and do stuff by himself so I really don't understand what their talking about. With ALS you can't even feed yourself never mind walk. He's just a neighbor so I really don't know but it sounds the same exept he's paralyzed on both sides of his diaphram.

Maybe you should try a different doctor and see what he/she says and compare the two.

Good luck. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but like I said he's just a neighbor and it's hard to ask questions and not feel like your being nosy.

Closed Thread