It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Pulmonary Hypertension?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
    charcey
    (female)

charcey HB User
    Pulmonary Hypertension?

Is anyone out there dealing with secondary pulmonary hypertension? If so, what symptoms were you having when you first noticed a problem? Was it caught in the early stages? How did they catch it?
    A few years ago I took phentermine for weight loss. I stopped taking it because I noticed I began having episodes where I had an inability to take in a deep breath without yawning (especially with activity). After I stopped the med it quit. It came back about a year ago. The episodes were not very frequent at first, but they seemed to have become more frequent (about 85% of my daily breathing). I had a stress echo which was normal and a PFT which showed basically normal. There was an 11% increase in my quality of breathing after the albuterol tx (which the RT said was no big deal). So, I'm still a little concerned about pulmonary hypertension. My doctor says it's rare, but I'm still having it checked out. The yawning thing really bothers me because it happened before I stopped taking the med and is occuring pretty frequently now. My dad said he experiences the same thing...so it must be normal. Although, I'm not sure it happens to him in the same degree.
    I've looked it up on the internet and saw the symptoms...but it doesn't decipher between early symptoms and later symptoms. I have no dizziness or fainting...only the shortness of breath and chest tightness. Anyone have any personal experience with this?
    Charcey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2005, 07:44 AM   #2
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User
    Re: Pulmonary Hypertension?

Hi Charcey,
    I took a diet pill direx - it's similar to phenterimine for two years and stopped on 9/29/05. I did not know about the risks or that you are not supposed to take them for more than 12 weeks. I am having shortness of breath that I can't get rid of - it's sort of hyperventilating even when I'm sitting still. I had an echocardiogram that showed some pressure in the left ventricle but they still ruled it "basically normal" and I had a pulmonary function test where I had slight improvement with albuterol (sound familiar) and so they said I have asthma now (I am 40 years old). I have heaviness in my chest, frequent chest pain (yes I have reflux but it is treated regularly with aciphex) - I don't have dizziness or fainting either - but my pulse got really high adn my BP was climbing so I am now on a beta-blocker and lasix. I did get some better for a couple of weeks - that is the breathlessness improved while I was sitting still - but I still had it bad if I got up to walk across the house....but it has flared up again this past week so that I am panting sitting still again....I don't really yawn a lot - but some to get air - I just pant instead....labored breathing...bottom line...I too am still worried about pulmonary hypertension - how can we be sure?
    Hope you get some relief.....
    Best wishes,
    Kathy

Closed Thread