It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• bronchitis, lung/oxygen issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
    Danzur
    (male)

Danzur HB User
    bronchitis, lung/oxygen issues

A quick preface....I'm 38 years old, have never smoked (parents did), have had bronchial viruses probably once very 2 years for the last 20 years. I'm not prone to sickness, could be in better shape. Basically just the occasional cold, which sometimes turns bronchial.

About 2 weeks ago I felt what seemed to be a chest cold coming on, not too terribly surprising haven't had one in 9 months or so. The next day it seemed to go away. About 10 days ago it certainly turned into a chest/head cold and seemed to be heading to a bronchial stage pretty quickly.

I started taking some cough medication and about a day or 2 later started taking amoxicillin (we always seem to have some around). This was about 7 days ago. About 3 days later I was becoming concerned as I wasn't noticing any improvment and realized the antibiotics had expired. I ordered a refill batch as I had a feeling I wasn't attacking the infection. The cough has been pretty severe, the mucus has been a steady yellow, coming up pretty easily.

About 4 days ago I walked upstairs to grab something, and for the first time ever, I noticed at the top of the stairs that I was gasping for air. That is REALLY concerning to me so I started reading all I could find. I notced that a shortness of breath is common with bronchitis so I wasn't too alarmed. Well, since that moment whenver my heart rate elevates, my lungs will not emit the oxygen needed to the rest of my body. I gasp for air, almost panic at times, but once I sit down and get my heart rate back down everything is fine again. I have been doing breathing treatments for the last 3-4 days, my lungs are not full of fluid (although they may be coated) I can inhale and exhale in a pretty decent volume considering the infection I have. I can breathe air into my lungs, but that won't translate into oxygen where my body needs it.

As I am now taking a fresh batch of amoxicillin, the bronchitis seems to be receding just fine. I still have a cough, and about every 30-60 minutes a small hunk of yellow mucus will come out.

I'm taking an expectorant, breathing treatments, advil, and amoxicillin as well as my regular vitamin and claritin.

The bronchitis is improving, but the breathing is not. If it were showing improvement as well (degree of breathlessness) I would be encouraged, but is showing no signs of progress at all.

I do have a dr appt set for tomorrow, just wondering if there is anything I can do to help the breathing that I have not uncovered.

Any thoughts

Last edited by Danzur; 02-23-2006 at 10:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
    dazedandconfused10
    Veteran
    (female)

dazedandconfused10 HB User
    Re: bronchitis, lung/oxygen issues

Based on what you wrote it sounds like you just refilled a prescription. Perhaps its a different bacteria, not all bacteria respond to antibiotics the same, you may just need a different one. I would tell your dr about the amoxicllin and maybe even suggest they actually test what you cough up because they can culture the bacteria, know exactly what it is and prescribe the right antibiotic. They usually don't have to but you can also build up immunity to antibiotics if taken frequently even if for a good reason. It happened to my son who kept getting reall ear infections. As a child they were more limited what they could give him. I'm glad you have an appt. Let us know what happens.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danzur
    A quick preface....I'm 38 years old, have never smoked (parents did), have had bronchial viruses probably once very 2 years for the last 20 years. I'm not prone to sickness, could be in better shape. Basically just the occasional cold, which sometimes turns bronchial.

About 2 weeks ago I felt what seemed to be a chest cold coming on, not too terribly surprising haven't had one in 9 months or so. The next day it seemed to go away. About 10 days ago it certainly turned into a chest/head cold and seemed to be heading to a bronchial stage pretty quickly.

I started taking some cough medication and about a day or 2 later started taking amoxicillin (we always seem to have some around). This was about 7 days ago. About 3 days later I was becoming concerned as I wasn't noticing any improvment and realized the antibiotics had expired. I ordered a refill batch as I had a feeling I wasn't attacking the infection. The cough has been pretty severe, the mucus has been a steady yellow, coming up pretty easily.

About 4 days ago I walked upstairs to grab something, and for the first time ever, I noticed at the top of the stairs that I was gasping for air. That is REALLY concerning to me so I started reading all I could find. I notced that a shortness of breath is common with bronchitis so I wasn't too alarmed. Well, since that moment whenver my heart rate elevates, my lungs will not emit the oxygen needed to the rest of my body. I gasp for air, almost panic at times, but once I sit down and get my heart rate back down everything is fine again. I have been doing breathing treatments for the last 3-4 days, my lungs are not full of fluid (although they may be coated) I can inhale and exhale in a pretty decent volume considering the infection I have. I can breathe air into my lungs, but that won't translate into oxygen where my body needs it.

As I am now taking a fresh batch of amoxicillin, the bronchitis seems to be receding just fine. I still have a cough, and about every 30-60 minutes a small hunk of yellow mucus will come out.

I'm taking an expectorant, breathing treatments, advil, and amoxicillin as well as my regular vitamin and claritin.

The bronchitis is improving, but the breathing is not. If it were showing improvement as well (degree of breathlessness) I would be encouraged, but is showing no signs of progress at all.

I do have a dr appt set for tomorrow, just wondering if there is anything I can do to help the breathing that I have not uncovered.

Any thoughts
    Antibiotics are only good for 2 weeks accourding to my hubby's pulmonologist. As quick as your colds, ect drop into bronchitis, you might ask your doc to test you for Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. please let us know what your doc says.

Last edited by 2catfans; 02-25-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
    Danzur
    (male)

Danzur HB User

Thanks for the responses.....here is what happened....hopefully someone will read this and learn from my mistakes:

I've been under lots of stress, and have always had the attitude that I can pretty much handle anything myself. This case was no different. I had a cold, it went bronchial, I had Nyquil, antibiotics, etc. on hand. I'll just handle this myself and move forward, I didn't have time to be sick, go to the dr. etc......OOPS!

The shortness of breath scared me enough to go to the dr. I had never had this symptom before, and it was enough to cause panic/borderline hyperventilation. The amoxicillin wasn't helping the breathing at all, I was finding a way to think it was helping the bronchitis. The breathing issues continued, I finally broke down and went to the dr.

Luckily my wife returned from a business trip on Monday and picked up a Vicks stream/vapor breathing device to start using. I used this every day, was convinced that I had lung capacity so I couldn't have pneumonia, just a nasty case of bronchitis.

I told her the whole story as above, she was not pleased. The amoxicillin was not working at all. I have bronchitis, as well as as bronchitis induced asthma. By Friday morning I also have pneumonia. I think the only thing that was saving me Wed and Thursday was the breathing machine.

After the breathing tests, x-rays, etc. I was prescribed prednisone to reduce the swelling in my lungs, a different antibiotic, 2 asthma treatments, and a cough medicine. I was told that if I deteriorated at all that my next stop was the hospital, there was nothing else they could do at this point, I would need serious attention.

By Friday afternoon I had all of my perscriptions and began a 3 day 3x dose of the steroid as well as all the others. I have pretty much stayed in bed and followed her instuctions completely. I have shown huge improvements over the last 2 days, and I think it is safe for them to move the ambulance away from my house . I have another visit sceduled for Tuesday for another evaluation.

I have learned my lesson for sure...your health is nothing to take for granted or mess with. I'm surprised that this all happened so quickly, I have never had asthma or pneumonia in my life. But at the same time I have never been under as much stress either, which I'm sure contributed to all of this.

I "think" I am on the road to recovery.....everything has seemed to improve, although there is still a shortness of breath, it isn't near as bad as it was on FRiday.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
    dazedandconfused10
    Veteran
    (female)

dazedandconfused10 HB User

wow glad you finally got health , take care of yourself and you will!

Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User

I'm so happy your on the mend! My hubby had pneumonia in 1997 and it took him 3 months to get 3/4 the way back to normal and another 6 months untill the spots were gone from his lungs. Get well soon!!

Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User

I'm so happy your on the mend! My hubby had pneumonia in 1997 and it took him 3 months to get 3/4 the way back to normal and another 6 months untill the spots were gone from his lungs. Get well soon!!

Closed Thread