It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Momentary paralysis in right shoulder area when yawning (inhaling deeply)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
    Scout-
    (male)

Scout- HB User
    Question Momentary paralysis in right shoulder area when yawning (inhaling deeply)

I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought this board looked like the most correct place to put it. When I yawn or take a very deep breath I sometimes trigger a spasm/paralysis about an inch away from my right shoulder and about an inch away from my armpit on the right side, generally located around that area and spreading outwards. This will last about 5seconds and during this period I am frozen to the spot whilst the episode takes place. I had one today about 5hrs ago, my first in over a year or even longer, but this time the factors are different in that I've just started treatment for high blood pressure and have had a number of problems with that over the last few weeks.

To further elaborate, this paralysis always happens on the inhalation. As I said in the first paragraph, it can be induced, but I have learnt how not to yawn so strongly and thus avoided the possibilities of this thing triggering. I am very concerned right now. I didn't know what category this kind of thing should fall under. Is it some kindd of problem with my blood vessels somehow contracting and refusing oxygen through them for that short period of time, or perhaps an arterial blockage? I don't know what to think and have been in a state of distress since the episode happened earlier on, worried it will happen again or whether I am suffering the after-effects now or if it is just anxiety.

This has happened to me about 5times in total in my life. I am overweight right now, and it has always happened when this has been the case. When I lost a lot of weight previously I could take as deep a breath as I wanted and couldn't hope to trigger this thing, I know if I were to take a deep yawn right now it would send me into the same paralysed episode as I experienced this morning.

Can anyone help explain what this could be? I have been back and forth to my GP and to the hospital this past 4days (that was solely related to very high BP) and I don't want to go back there now and seem like a hypocondhriac. This is a very real problem, and if it doesn't happen again between now and 7days time when I am due to see my GP about my BP I will ask him about it then, but apart from that I'm reluctant to go casualty or back to the GP so quickly after just being there. Can anyone inform me of what may be going on with this, or what it could be? I am worried and praying it does not happen again.

I'm 29, 6'3, male, with hypertension and have just started a 10mg course of calcium channel blocker (almopidine) and am overweight...if this helps any in a summation?

Thanks.

Scout.

Last edited by Scout-; 10-06-2006 at 07:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread