It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• what can be wrong and what is a scarred lung

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
    willowthewisp
    (female)

willowthewisp HB Userwillowthewisp HB User
    what can be wrong and what is a scarred lung

Hi, i do have previous posts on here but need more advice, here is a quick run down of what's happened so far, Hubby fell off his bike onto the handle bars and was rushed to hospital as he could not breath nor move. they sent him home with painkillers, did NO xrays and said he could go back to work in 2 to 3 days. Well here we are 4 MONTHS on, he is still short of breath and not feeling right unable to work, If he does anything to exert himself he pants, and he can go white and for some strange reasons he keeps having bouts of sweating?? He can feel a stange sensations down his side when he deep breathes. 2 months ago xrays showed a shadow on his lung. He had fluid on the lung which needed draining, but hubby refused so dr said it will take time but he will get better.Well four months i think is too long, seeing as he still has the same symptoms.( they are a bit better though. His dr did some more xrays and blood test today but we wont know results for up to 2 weeks. (Hubby said there was still a big shadow on the lung) His Dr has said that he may now need to go see someone else as this is going on too long, he also said he may have scarred his lung. Can anyone tell me what does it mean if he has scarred his lung. As this has gone on so long and i see daily how unfit my hubby has got i am starting to wonder if he has Empasemia??? he is always tired and sleeping if he can. I am not a dr and have no medical experience but both mum and dad have/had lung problems and my hubby is very similar to them, this is why i am wondering about emphasemia.
    Can anyone give me more advise, we are in the uk so have to wait for the dr to send us for tests etc, we cant just insist on having things done. But what does a scarred lung do, i am thinking in the long run.
    Thanks for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
    eblguim
    (female)

eblguim HB User
    Re: what can be wrong and what is a scarred lung

Hi,
    I posted another message for you on your old thread.
    I'm curious as to what your doctor tells you about your husband situtation. My husband also would like not to have anything done but we are worried that the lung will not come back to normal on it's own.
    Please let me know what happens.
    We will see the doctor next week.

Old 11-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
    willowthewisp
    (female)

HI again, well hubby went to the dr 4 days ago, he see's the Dr every single Monday. The Dr had taken some blood samples the week before and said that they showed a bit of infection? Didn't say anymore though. Hubby had also had another lot of xrays done, they had not come back yet but hubby had a phone call yesterday asking him to go and have some more xrays done again today from different positions!! so he has had that done, now we wait again for the Dr to tell him what he thinks is wrong. Hubby has said to me today that he has had a bad day and is feeling exhausted so he knows he is still unwell somehow. But surely after four months he should be fine and back to work. I will let you know more when i know more. take care
    willow

Old 11-24-2006, 04:52 PM   #4
    eblguim
    (female)

eblguim HB User

Thank you so much for your answer. Please let me know what goes on at the doctor. It is so hard to try to figure out everything that is going on... They do tests but we still end up not knowing exactly what is happening. I will write in the thread to let you know what is happening with us. Take care.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
    willowthewisp
    (female)

Hi, Hubby went back to the Dr's today but his xray results were not back yet so he has to go back next monday. Hubby also now has another chest infection for some strange reason. I will post more when hubby has gone back to the Dr's for results next week. How is you hubby doing, he really should go to someone just to check him over, he may only need some anti biotics and painkillers to get him back on his feet. Good luck and keep me posted. Willow

Old 11-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
    eblguim
    (female)

eblguim HB User

Thank you for the update.
    My husband is actually doing really well. I'm atributing this to the daily acupressure session I give him every evening. He says he is back about 80% of his normal, and he has no pain or any other symptom at this point except his breath gets a bit tight if he exerts a lot. But he can go uphill and was triming bushes in the garden this morning with no side effects.
    The big worry is that they saw a nodule in his xray. Tomorrow we go to the doctor to know the results of the CT scan. I'm scared because he had cancer 10 years ago and that is all the doctors are focusing on....u
    I will let you know what happens tomorrow.
    I hope your husband will feel better. Actually, my husband has been drinking lotus root tea - it is a powder that he simmers for 5 or 10 minutes and drinks (1 teaspoon for each cup of water) and that is also helping him. You might want to try that. I think you need to look where macrobiotic products are sold.
    Take care

Old 12-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
    willowthewisp
    (female)

Hi, i did leave a post for you a few days ago, but for some reason it has dissapeared.???? I wished your hubby good luck, let me know how he got on. I am thinking of you both.
    god bless

Old 12-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
    eblguim
    (female)

eblguim HB User

We got the results of the ct scan and it shows many nodules throughtout the lungs. The doctors think it is metastatic cancer. So we are just dealing with the emotional blow at this moment. My hubby has decided he is not going to do chemo or radiation. I'm a bit out of it and don't even know what to say.
    I hope you are lucky.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
    willowthewisp
    (female)

My thoughts, love and prayers are with you both, i am here if you need to talk at any time. Even if you just want to let off steam just come on here to me and i will try my hardest to be here for you. He must have the chemo etc, it could help him a great deal. I dont know a lot about chemo but i do know it can help in many cases. When do you go back to get more confirmed results, could the nodules not be removed! Or even part of the lung. I am thinking of you, please keep me posted as and when you can.
    willow

Old 12-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
    eblguim
    (female)

eblguim HB User

thank you so much for your words.
    So far we are ok. My husband actually feels almost normal, with all the symptoms that he had in the beginning pretty much gone, so we will focus on that. That is puzzling because I don't hear of people being diagnosed with advanced lung cancer that gets better on their own. But I guess everything is possible.
    Please let me know of your husbands progress. I hope he will be back to his normal soon.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #11
    willowthewisp
    (female)

hi, hubby went back today to the Dr, once again they did not have his xray results back so could not tell him a thing. This is so annoying as we sit here worrying what they are going to tell us only to be told to come backagain on Thursday. Hubby has felt worse this last week, he has felt quite rotten but i think this could be down to he is possibly allergic to the penicillin he is on, he has felt really low, sick and bad stomach pains. But his breatlessness seems to have got a bit worse, but his Dr said today his chest sounded a lot better???? Weird how you can feel worse but be better. Is your hubby going back for more results/tests. Is there a chance it might not be advanced lung cancer, could he be saved if he had chemo/radiotherapy. He must try to keep going, i know that is easy for me to say when you are both going through hell. You need to ask his Dr what can be done and exactly how bad is his case. Maybe there is something they can do.even if he has to live with one lung. My thoughts are always with you.
    willow

Old 12-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
    eblguim
    (female)

eblguim HB User

Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear your hubby is not well. Have you ever tried acupuncture or oriental medicine. I'm pretty sure my husband is getting better because of the acupressure I give him every evening.
    He decided he is not going back to any traditional doctor because they ignore the fact that all the symptoms he had when he first got sick have completely disappeared. They want him to go to the oncologist and he has decided that he rather live less than die slowly taking the chemo because if he does have what they say then there is no chemo that can really save him.
    Also they can't do a biopsy, so the truth is they don't know for sure.
    My brother in law is taking his results to a second opinion in New York City (we live and a medium size city) and we will see what comes back.
    For now my hubby has decide to focus on how he feels - which is basically well. He was just carrying wood from downstairs and felt fine after a few trips. 4 weeks ago he didn't have the strenght to cut his own food. Now, how can the doctors ignore that? So we will take one day at the time and keep on doing what we are doing.
    I will keep you posted. Please let me know how your hubby is doing. It was suggested to my husband that he should move around as much as he can tolerate because it helps the lungs to deal with the water.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
    willowthewisp
    (female)

I think you are doing thr right thing by getting a second opinion, i would do the same thing. I have no medical experience but how can they tell you have lung cancer without doing a biopsy and other things. My mum had advance lung cancer, she also had it around the 'heart sack', she had loads of fluid in her lungs and they drained off 2 litres of fluid and could tell straight away from the drained fluid that it was lung cancer once they tested it. Obviously there must have been something in the fluid ( cancer cells maybe). But is it only xrays and ct scan that they have done on your hubby!! I would insist on more tests so you can know for sure either way, and i feel no doctor should tell you that you probably do have cancer unless they are totally sure you have it as it is so scary. I do hope you get some answers soon as the waiting is horrible isn't it. I feely my hubby may have Emphysema, but his dr says it is just his fall thathe had taking a long time to recover, i find this hard to believe as it is nearly four and a half months now. I have never heard of anyone taking this long to heal. Hubby says he knows there is something else wrong as he can feel it. His Dr did suggest the scarred lung but we are just having to wait and see. Hugs and love is being sent your way. will post once i know more. Try to keep strong.
    willow

Old 12-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #14
    eblguim
    (female)

eblguim HB User

They took some fluid from his lungs and twice the results came as accute inflamation, but I have learned that it does not guarantee that it is not cancer.
    Four months is too long for your hubby to be sick. Is he being as active as possible? That helps the water to go down. My hubby started out by just walking around the house (once he could get out of the couch) and now he is walking aroung the neighborhood, up and down the hill, carrying the wood up the hill for the fire place and even jogging a bit (My thyroid doctor told him to be active).
    He also kept saying he feels "something" inside. He could not bend forward because he felt something would get "dislodged" in the pit of his stomach. He had so much pain and felt so weak I was scared to death.
    Can't you try oriental medicine? Usually around the acupuncture schools they have clinics where you can go and it is much cheaper than the regular price. That could help your husband's lung and also his whole body.
    Please don't give up.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #15
    willowthewisp
    (female)

I live in the UK and we dont really have accupunture schools here. You can get accupunter privately but hubby wont entertain this. He is old fashioned in his ways and says he will just get better on his own. To look at my hubby you would not think anything at all is wrong with him, it is just when he exerts himself he can feel this shortness of breath which he has never had before in his life. He says he can also feel a strange feeling all down his left hand side, but only if he takes deep breaths. His dr is now saying that as he hit his chest so badly it is normal for it to take this long for him to recover, but only 6 weeks ago he said he could possibly have scarring of the lung, so i dont really know what to think and to be honest i dont think the dr does either. Going back to you hubby having his lung drained and it showing accute inflammation, i will say that when mum had hers drained it showed straight cancer cells, they never mentioned any inflammation. They called us to the hospital the same day ( all her children) and took us into an office and told us, they did tell us straight how long she had left so we could be prepared. I would have thought they would be able to tell if your hubby had any cancer cells, but again i have no medical experience so i am guessing.
    Going back to my hubby, no he is not as active as can be as he often says he doesn't feel well!!! he says he feels exhausted but he is hardly doing anything. I often wonder if this is a touch of depression as he has been off of work for so long, hubby normally works a 12 hour day. Still hopefully this dr will tell us more tomorrow, hopefully it will be good news and he will just say hubby is just taking a long time to recover from his chest injury. I will post tomorrow
    willow

Closed Thread