It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• jcgman73- or anyone else .. I also have VCD......

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
    jcgman73- or anyone else .. I also have VCD......

I have been struggling with this since Nov. and have been severly depressed over this. I do my breathing exercises but still have not seen any results. I am at my wits end, it's the worse feeling. I take anti anxiety meds to help relax me and when I am desperate I use my inhaler although I don't really get relief from it. I was diagnosed by Dr. Amin at NYU medical center in NY, I also see a speach pathologist.
    I am wondering if you have seen any results so far in your therapy. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I also have LPR and have limited my diet, but no matter what I feel worse after I eat. I only get a good breath after yawning, hence I yawn all day long.
    I can't work, exercise or even hold a good conversation without getting winded. I am not overweight and don't eat poorly, I just don't understand why this came about.

Thanks for any feedback...if anyone else experiences this I would love to hear your story.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
    jcgman73
    (male)

jcgman73 HB User
    Re: jcgman73- or anyone else .. I also have VCD......

alex 12,
    Hang in there! I've been struggling with this for almost 5 years, and I think that I'm finally making some progress. Don't get me wrong, it won't necessarily take you 5 years to start feeling better, it simply has taken me this long to get the right information.

I'm convinced that LPR is at the root of my troubles. In addition to the diet and lifestyle modifications, I'm taking Protonix (a proton pump inhibitor, or PPI), 40 mg twice daily. Once in the morning, about 30 minutes before breakfast, and again in the evening, about 30 minutes before dinner. It's imperative to take the medication in this fashion, consistently, for an extended period. I've been on the PPI regimen for about 6 weeks, but total healing of the laryngopharynx can take up to 6 months or longer, so patience is key.

I had a videostroboscopy of my larynx/vocal cords last week. The video showed that my arytenoid cartilage (which is connected to the posterior of the vocal cords) was irritated/red. Because this cartilage is proximal to the esophagus, it's a strong sign of LPR. I'm also going to seek out a GI doc to rule out a hiatal hernia, either with a barium swallow or endoscopy.

I would recommend that you see a GI for and endoscopy and consider a speech evaluation in conjunction with a videostroboscopy. In the meantime ask your doc for a PPI scrip. You may be required to get the doc's approval if you take the double dose, as some insurance companies will balk if you take too many of these in a year. I guess they're expensive, but you need to get started ASAP and stay with it for at least 2 months, if not longer, to let your tissues heal.

I'm not a doc, but after so many trials and errors, and so much frustration and suffering, I'd like for you get in touch with the right people faster than I did. Keep your head up and know that LPR is very treatable with meds and/or surgery, if a hernia is the cause of your troubles.

Good luck.

JCG

Old 02-10-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
    Re: jcgman73- or anyone else .. I also have VCD......

JCG,
    Thanks for the info....
    Currently I see a Doctor at NYU medical center and a speach pathologist.
    I have to go for a swallowing test since I aspirated during the barrium gi test. The endoscopy showed a motility problem and pressure in the upper sphincter but didnt show much reflux, although the larangologist says there is evidence of LPR. I stopped taking hte aciphex recently since it was giving me so many side effects, I am now doing it the old fashion way and popping tums and rolaids every 2 minutes until I can figure out what my next course is...haha
    The breathing problem is by far the worse!!! It makes me panic and can ruin my entire day, which it has since Nov. Getting that good breath in is such a struggle....I also take Klonopin to help relax the muscles in my neck and deal with the anxiety this has caused.
    I would love to hear how your progress is going through your posts, so keep on posting and give me some hope

Last edited by alex12; 02-10-2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread