It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Latent TB

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
    daddymatt
    (male)

daddymatt HB User
    Cool Latent TB

Hello All-
    I am new to this board, but have posted some things about my fledgling attempts to quit smoking on another thread.
    I did not see a thread for TB in here anywhere. Maybe I missed it. It is an important topic, but not the panic inducing one that most people think it is.
    Anyhow, I have been diagnosed with latent TB for 6 years now. I have always been asymptomatic, but get a regular chest xray just in case (annually). I went on INH when I was first diagnosed, but went toxic after about 3 months, and had to stop. Liver tests were off the chart, and I felt like I had permanent flu all day, every day for 90 days. Not everyone has issue like I had, but it was hell.
    Anyhow, anyone else out there who is dealing with latent TB? It can be scary when you first hear about it. I still have my moments, especially when the media goes insane and people get all hyped up.
    I thought we could "chat" and maybe support others who may need it, as well as help each other along the way.
    Thanks...hope to hear from some of you soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 06:20 AM   #2
    roxcyn
    Veteran
    (male)

roxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB User
    Re: Latent TB

I believe there are other TB drugs that can be taken, they are listed on ****pedia.org just search for tuberculosis.

Actually that is good that you are trying to be active about it, but you may want to talk to a doctor about taking one of the other drugs.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
    peacefrog
    (female)

peacefrog HB User

My grandaughters other grandma has just been diagnosed with TB. She had surgery for lung cancer this week and they just found the TB. I don't know any other details, but am concerned about the contact my grand(6 mo) has had with her. How contagious is it, and how serious a condition is it for someone in a weaken state like her grandmother? Thanks in advance for any info. I don't want to burden her family with alot of questions, they have alot on their minds right now.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
    linda71
    (female)

linda71 HB User

I talked to my physician yesterday because my biopsy came back with TB too. I am not overly sick and I have so many other lung diseases. She said that I was not contagious to my grandchildren which was a relief. It is scarey when they say TB. I don't know very much about Latent TB. I would love to here anything you find out.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
    Rheinau
    (male)

Rheinau HB User

I found out I have latent TB in late June. 9mm. My Primary doc says to hold off on the meds since I am low risk for active TB. My pulmonoligist says to take them ASAP. The health dept says to wait and get retested in a year and then reevaluate.

Daddymatt - there are other meds for latent TB but the risk for liver injury is as high as INH. If you have already taken 3 months worth you have some protection per the CDC website. Just curious - how old are you? I have read that side effects are more common the older you get and also if you have a history of drinking. I am 40 and drank for years but stopped 18 months ago. I am nervous about the INH.

There are some new drugs being developed - PA 824 and FAS 20013 but they are at least 2-3 years out. I guess my timing was bad.

I plan to give the INH a shot but am not happy about the whole thing. I was totally freaked out for about 2 months after finding out about the TB but I guess I went through the grief stages and have accepted it - I don't have a choice.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:20 AM   #6
    jackyb
    (male)

jackyb HB User

Dear all,

Just been diagnosed with LTBI - Clear Chest Xray and a "doubtful Positive" result on the QTF-Gold test.

ESAT6 = 0
    CFP-10 = 0.2

They are recommending INH for 6 months ( I am living in Japan) but I would obviously prefer not to take this.
    Does anyone have any exprience of treatment advice with these levels of test results?

Many thanks guys and gals,

Jack

Old 10-20-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
    Rheinau
    (male)

Rheinau HB User

jackyb - I am not familiar with the QTF-Gold test results. Mine was a PPD test. Have you taken a PPD? Maybe you should also take a PPD test.

I think the QTF only reacts to the TB bacteria and the PPD reacts to both TB and non-TB mycrobacteria.

With respect to taking INH, the whole thing is a gamble. Overall a 10% chance of active TB without treatment. Based on studies I've read 6 months of INH offers a medium level of protection with a more significant level from the 9 month course.

I know one person (a non-drinker) who took 9 months of INH while in her mid 30s with no problems at all. Based on the studies I have read, there is a 1% chance of hepatitis. With monthly liver function tests, I am sure this is reduced. For those who have LFT with elevations 2-3 times normal, they are normally taken off the meds.

I will probably go on the meds although I am considered a low risk for going active. I have children and I don't want to risk infecting them. My primary care provider recommends I don't go on the meds, my pulmonary doc recommends I go on the meds ASAP. If you go on the meds you need to take Vitamin B-6 25mg per day to help prevent neuropathy.

There are articles out that say vitamin d helps the body fight the TB bacteria, but I did some research on the dosage and it was 2.5mg every 6 weeks which equals about 250 times the recommended allowance of vitamin d. There may be some issues with toxicity. I am just going to take 800 IU (400 IU is the recommended dose for most folks) of vitamin d a day and hope for the best.

I guess the best thing we can do is stay healthy. Moderate exercise, good food, and plenty of rest are our best weapons until they come out with safer meds - 3 or so years from now.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted.

The CDC website offers a number of articles about the LTBI treatment:

[url]http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/PDF/rr/rr4906.pdf[/url]

Old 11-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
    Pri Lily
    Inactive
    (female)

Pri Lily HB User

Hi Everybody....

I would suggest a second opinion before going on INH.

My story....

Going to school....PPD came back positive 14mm induration....bye bye school.

Had a chest x-ray...clear...

Had another PPD....10mm induration.....sputum samples...clear...

Had a bronchoscopy...and more sputum samples.....clear

Went on INH therapy....I am on other psychotropic drugs, and have a very delicate system. The INH interacted with my other drugs, I got every side effect, in the book, and had a few that they didn't know about. Had peripheral neuropathy the first night...woke up with stabbing pain in my foot, and then my leg would fly up into the air. I was taking B6.

Was taken off the INH after four days, because I was O/Ding, and it was getting worse every day.

I'm now being sent to another hospital, which specializes in TB to be evaluated.

I have been advised to take drug therapy, but nobody knows what will work without making me O/D..

Giving up the other meds is out of the question.

This has been an 11 month process....so far.....

I would go with the opinion of Public Health, personally.

Lil

Last edited by moderator2; 11-09-2007 at 03:16 PM.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #9
    Rheinau
    (male)

Rheinau HB User
    Cool Re: Latent TB

My TB reaction was 9mm in Aug. Was retested a couple of weeks ago - 20mm. Started the INH a week ago. The first day had nausea but it appears due to the fact that it was 5 hours since eating. Had some tingling in my left hand the first few days but bought some B6 50 mg and it hasn't returned.

Today is my 7th dose of INH. So far so good. I take the med exactly 2 hours after eating breakfast. According to what I've read, taking with food neutalizes the meds.

Seems as though I get a little "loopy" the first hour after taking the med. After that no issues. I am taking milk thistle in the morning and evening - hopefully it will help my liver.

Also taking multivitamin in the early morning. Take the B6 and also vit D 800IU in the evening.

I was extremely anxious about INH but was also anxious about the TB bacteria. I am happier since I started taking the INH. Hopefully it will kill the bacteria and not be too rough on my liver.

Last edited by Rheinau; 11-14-2007 at 08:26 AM.

Closed Thread