It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• trouble breathing lately, please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
    xhorrorx
    (male)

xhorrorx HB User
    Question trouble breathing lately, please help

hey, my names ian, i am a 22 yr old male, 180 pounds, reasonably healthy, and have pretty bad panic attacks. BUT the past 3 or 4 days i have been feeling like i cant get a full breath. Im pretty much yawning but its not because im tired or anything, its because i feel like i cant get enough air into my lungs. This has been happening all day every day for the past 3-5 days. People say its panic attack related but i disagree, most of my anxiety attacks will last from a few minutes to about 2 or 3 hours, and breathing never really was a problem. Its starting to ruin my job, my relashionship and my life. Ive found myself not sleeping because im afraid to fall asleep with fear that i would stop breathing or something(anxiety related). Does anyone know what could be going on? or possibly give me some pointers? please?

Thank you
    -ian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
    xhorrorx
    (male)

xhorrorx HB User
    Re: trouble breathing lately, please help

yea, i used to be on anxiety medication, klonopin, and paxil, but my insurance ran out. This has just been freaking me out lately. i tried taking a 1mg xanax to see if it was anxiety and it didnt help too much so thats what got me thinking there must be another problem. Thanks for your tips though, im going to see if i cant find a cheap doctor, or asthma doctor, because i dont have insurance >.<
    Thanks for the help, any other help would be appreciated!

-ian

Last edited by xhorrorx; 06-19-2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
    Jonny412
    Inactive
    (male)

Jonny412 HB User

Ian,

I see you live in Florida, and at least in Jacksonville, low income people can get very low cost or free comprehensive medical care through Shands Hospital. There may be something like that in your area. You may want to call a hospital or social service agency and ask.

Also I have anxiety and have also been diagnosed with a lung disease. Symptoms I`m sure can be near identical. The fact that the Xanax didn`t help could be due to tolerance. Those types of drug often do not work more than a month or two especially if taken daily.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
    Isobella
    (female)

Isobella HB User

Ian, your inability to get a deep breath could indeed be stress related. When we're anxious or tense we tend to breathe in a more shallow fashion and this leads us to feel we can't get a proper good deep breath. The trouble is the more we think about it the worse it gets. There are some very good books on anxiety states by Dr Claire Weekes and in one of them she points out that nature didn't leave breathing in our hands, it's something that we just do involuntarily and, because of that, we just have to trust our bodies to do things properly. She mentions telling a woman who told her she couldn't get a breath to try to stop breathing for a while; the woman held her breath but of course she couldn't do that for very long and she finally had to take a great gulp of air, ie a very deep breath! Dr Weekes is right - our breathing will sort itself out, for the most part (assuming no organic disease, you should be checked out by your doctor, of course). We can't actually stop breathing, but sometimes we just notice our breathing and become alarmed by it. Try to keep busy and don't think too much about your breathing - if you feel you can't expand your chest then don't even bother trying, just get on with whatever you were doing, you breathing will keep going on and will eventually settle down again. I should know - I've been there, but am fine now except for the very odd occasion and then I just read Dr Weekes again.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
    gidlatrade
    (male)

gidlatrade HB User

Hey Ian,
    First of all, I am not a doctor, and you should always consult one, but here's my story.
    I've had a similar problem myself for the past few years. For me it started about 5 years ago @ 28; would get worse when I smoked, so I quit 3.5 years ago. I would constantly feel out of breath, yawn and try to take deep breaths constantly, bend forward to try to catch breath, etc. I always felt like I was suffocating or my lungs were closing up. Also, my chest felt over-inflated, or like on a really foggy day (chest-cold). I also developed a dry cough trying to push out air all the time.
    I have bad sinuses, and my condition gets worse when I drink alcohol (irritates sinuses) or if I am around smokers. I usually have post-nasal drip and constantly do throat clearing. My best remedy is Guaifenesin (cough syrup expectorant, 3 bottles for $6 @ Costco) when symptoms get bad, and after a couple days I'm fine until symptoms return after a couple nights out with friends, or I catch a cold. Also, try relaxed breathing, and full exhales by pressing lightly on your chest as you exhale. I have determined that I just have chronic irritation in sinuses, throat, and upper airway -- after multiple doctors and tests, and 000's of $. All tests have always come back fine, and I've seen a lot of doctors, as I also suffer from anxiety periodically, starting right after college @ 22.
    So here it is -- do you cough up thick discolored mucus? Cover your ears and listen for wheezing or rattling when you breathe or cough. Do you have any bluish tint or numbness to lips or fingers? Go to Rite-Aid or Longs and use the free blood-pressure & oxygen saturation check machine to see your numbers, especially when you feel worse. Are you hyperventilating? If so mild exercise will improve your condition. Do you possibly suffer allergies or notice such symptoms? Have you had a chest X-ray? Had an exercise stress test? Seen a Pulmonolgist? Get your insurance reinstated, or change jobs to one that offers health plan options -- insurance is a must!
    As for the anxiety, learn to think yourself down. What are you anxious about at 22? Be introspective and try to reason it out; stay away from meds--try amino acid supplements, etc. They do help. But some anxiety will never go away; I still double-check everything I buy at the market for the safety seal. I've been told to meditate, but I don't go for that stuff. I'm a daytrader by profession, so ...
    Also, I know it can be frustrating, and figuring it out can be a long road, especially when doctors tell you they can't find anything wrong. I was ridiculed by some friends when I had anxiety and panic problems -- later they came to me for help when they had theirs!
    Anyway, hope all that helped.
    G

Old 08-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
    annlouise
    (female)

annlouise HB User

If any of the people that have posted are taking anti-depressants, then they need to check the post that is above this one about pulmonary fibrosis. It has information about people getting pulmonary fibrosis from taking anti-depressants.

Closed Thread