It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Anyone here have multiple bullae (blebs) removed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
    fours2many
    (female)

fours2many HB User
    Anyone here have multiple bullae (blebs) removed?

My husband had a pnuemothorax and a thoracotomy in 1990. He had giant bullae. 1 was the size of a cantalope. Then in 2003 he had the other lung operated on, he had a giant bullae bigger than his head. His lung was squashed to only millimeters.

Well, he just had a catscan done and now has bullae that are larger than his fist on both lungs.

He says he can't handle another surgery. His surgeries never went well and he always had severe lung leaking. It took forever for his lungs to seal again, he even had to go home with a chest tube and valve on.

Has anyone ever had multiple surgeries? Is there a reason that he keeps getting these? Why do his grow so large? I have read so much and researched for years. I only ever read of one other man that had to have multiple surgeries. Is this rare?
    Can he go on disability? He has always returned to work, but now I do not think he has it in him. He was always very active with sports and is a construction worker. Now though he has lost all energy, he is always so tired after a full day of work that he just colapses after work.

I am very concerned about him. If anyone can direct me to info on this topic of reaccuring bullae, please let me know.

Thanks, Kristin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
    stewartfan
    Inactive
    (male)

stewartfan HB User
    Re: Anyone here have multiple bullae (blebs) removed?

i have had surgery on my right lung twice and the left lung once. The most recent, left lung, was about 2 months ago. I too had large blebs on that lung, large enough that 1/3 of my left lung was removed because this area was considered "dead". The right lung I had surgery on 5 years ago and 5 years prior to that. The last time they removed a partial area because blebs developed on it again. From what I have been told, they are either caused by disease (in my case emphysema) but are common in tall skinny men (another issue for me). There are a few different diseases that cause blebs to appear on the lungs, with the most common being COPD (emphysema or bronchitis) or asthma. I'm not a doctor but just someone going through the same thing.
    I have noticed a difference in my stamina as well. I get short of breath alot easier and catch myself taking deep breaths all the time (something that I did before but not as much). My pulmonologist has me on advair now and it really does help with my breathing. There are excercises he can do to improve his breathing and increase the volumne of his lungs. You should really consider going to see your pulmo and see what they tell you to help with his breathing. As far as disability, it is possible but I am not sure of the restrictions for this.

Last edited by stewartfan; 07-24-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: add more info

Old 07-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
    fours2many
    (female)

fours2many HB User

Thank you Jeff for replying.
    Would you mind if I had my Dh contact you on this subject? I think he might feel a little better having someone to talk to that is going through the same thing for such a long time too.
    He is also a tall, thin man. He has been told that his large lung space is the only thing that has really saved him. The Drs told him years ago that this is typical of a man with this disease.
    The surgeon told him that he would NOT operate on him again. That his lungs do not heal as quickly as they should anymore. The surgeon is head of heart and lung surgery in our area.

Do you have yearly catscans or xrays? Or do you just go by how you feel?
    My Dh is on NO meds. The dialators the pulmo Dr tried on him made him dizzy and made it harder for him to breath. His oxygen level actually went down while trying it. He also couldn't expell as much air as he could without it.

Well, thanks again.

Kristin

Old 07-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
    stewartfan
    Inactive
    (male)

stewartfan HB User

sure I dont mind if he does, I have no one to talk to about it either other than my doctors and family who really dont understand what I am going through. If you ever want to talk as well I am open for that. If I cant or dont no the answer to your question my roommate is a respiratory therapist and has been very helpful in helping me figure out what is going on.
    That is too bad that they won't operate on him again, thats usually not a good sign. I too have weak lungs now, my right lung is so damaged from the surgeries and collapsing that it can not handle much more torture. I too have been told that I have abnormally large lungs and that this plays to my advantage, more to lose I guess without causing too much trouble.
    I hope everything works out for your husband and they can figure out some way to get it under control for him. I am surprised that they wont remove the blebs, they are at risk of "popping" and causing more problems.
    I just go by how I feel before getting any treatment. I do see my pulmo every 2-3 months, plus see my family doctor inbetween. I have learned to notice any abnormal feelings I get, I could actually feel the bleb this last time. Not physicaly feel it but could tell something was attacking my lung.

Last edited by stewartfan; 07-27-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
    nordypetra
    (female)

nordypetra HB User

I had major blebs on my right lung and it collapsed 90% and the rest filled with blood.I had an emergency chest tub put in 9 days later they where planning to staple the blebs by going thrue the side but the day before my left collapsed because of the pressure from holding up from the right that included another chest tube and the next day my doctor had to do a full open lung surgery they stapled the blebs and removed them then he fussed the linnings of the lungs to make the risks of future collapses.
    stay strong and key is that you trust your doctor.
    take it easy that was my biggest mistake I did not listen so I ended up a few more times in the ER.
    good luck I will pray for you and your family

Closed Thread