It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• lung scarring

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
    powerjohn
    (male)

powerjohn HB User
    lung scarring

i had cough that would not go. went when i took antibiotics. was sent for scan. doctor showed me scan. one of my lungs is only about three fifths size of other. also doctor told me i had scarring.they do not seem sure of cause. one doctor said he thinks asbestos.other doctor says smoking. i am 58. i smoked heavily from 18 to 30, but completely stopped smoking at 30. other doctor says he thinks shrinkage is caused from the scarring.i am on no treatment. i must go back for another scan in 6 months.i have no problems breathing. but i feel tired all the time. also i used jog a lot. but now i do not seem to have any physical strength for exercise.also i think i am walking much slower, because people keep passing me on the street. please what do you think. sincerely john

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
    LadyDyane
    (female)

LadyDyane HB User
    Re: lung scarring

Hi John, I also have scarring (pulmonary fibrosis) since six years ago. I was pretty good, but slower like you said, for 4.5 years when I developed pneumonia in both lungs and got some more scarring and now Im on O2 24/7. It helps. The problem you have is not lung volumn but diffusion - how much o2 is actually getting into your blood. They should do a lung test on you that involves blowing in a special tube in a box. Sounds weird I know but a very informative test. I too smoked for about 30 years and my mother died of pulmonary fibrosis so I got the double whammy. Stay as active as possible but don't take you breathlessness for granted, you can do damage to you your internal organs if your saturation is going too low. Hang in there Dyane

Closed Thread