It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Normal to not be short of breath even if

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
    hailey321
    (female)

hailey321 HB User
    Normal to not be short of breath even if

you've had a low range on the peak test?

I don't feel short of breath but the peak test I've done was low. Additionally, I run and am active.

Will be doing a pulmonary function test in 2 weeks.

Anyone else feel normal and get an abnormal test?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
    lady1980
    (female)

lady1980 HB User
    Re: Normal to not be short of breath even if

What is your normal peak flow? Disregarding what your predicted is you should test your peak flow when you feel perfectly normal and healthy so when your having an attack or some other type of problem you'll know if it's mild, moderate or severe. Your having a pft in a few weeks. Do you have a smoking history or any other underlining pulmonary problems? Well the test will diagnose those. NOt sure if you not having a good pf is bad because it might be your normal range.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
    hailey321
    (female)

hailey321 HB User

lady1980

I was covered in hives due to a possible allergic reaction to Macrobid which in rare cases causes lung damage.

I came in with the hives and an aching chest. I'm taking Pepcid and the aching chest is MUCH better and so are the hives. BUT I did do the test when I was in this state. The PF was at 300 and suppose to be at 450 or so. I've never had one before to compare it to though.

I do have a smoking history but quite about 8 years ago and am never around smoke. I wasn't a heavy smoker and I would smoke for a year or 2 then quite for 6 then start for a year and so on. I'm very active now and generally have a lot of energy.

I NEVER, EVER feel short of breath nor do I have sinus issues, coughing etc. I run and lift waits and feel great. BUT this pain in the chest and hives started at the same time right after this course of Macrobid.

My Xray is still be looked at by the radiologist but my GP said she didn't see anything standing out.....well at least until the Rad. looks at it.

Any more info you can give would be great. Thanks for answering!!!!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
    lady1980
    (female)

lady1980 HB User

I really do believe that you just had an allergic reaction the the medication. You didn't even smoke lung enough to cause any lungs problems such as C.O.P.D. or the big one emphysema. Depending on your height, weight and technique than 300 just might be your best peak flow. Don't worry about the numbers. It's only prevelant when you have something to compare it to. Keep me posted on the results of your x-ray.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
    hailey321
    (female)

hailey321 HB User

I did smoke for 10 years straight though before the times that I smoked for shorter amounts of times. Just an FYI. So if you add it all up it's about 18 years or so. I have heard though when it's broken up like that it's better than if you smoke 18 year straight through with no break.

I will post my Xray results.

Thanks again.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
    lady1980
    (female)

lady1980 HB User

How many packs per day did you actually smoke? And what is your age now? That will make a difference. You could possibly show somm hyperinflation on your x-ray or airtrapping. All components of smoking over the years.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
    hailey321
    (female)

hailey321 HB User

A half a pack a day in the more recent years. Originally when I was younger a pack a day.

The last cigarette I smoked was when I was 44 I'm now 51.

I also had exercised heavily (I know, weird and also being a smoker) for the last 25 years. Running, high impact aerobics, a lot of weight lifting etc.

Now, I'm still doing those things and also otherwise have a very active lifestyle. As said before I don't have any chronic cough (in fact the doc said my longs sound perfectly clear with the steth) breathing issues, asthma, chronic colds, allergies, breathing problems or wheezing at all. That's why when she said I had low lung function based on the peak I was actually shocked. I would have expected any diagnosis but that. I would think I would be tired/fatigued or short of breath. How could I run and be so active.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
    lady1980
    (female)

lady1980 HB User

The low lung function is from smoking over the years. You have about a 9 pack year smoking history which is low. As long as you continue to exercise and of course no more cigarettes, you will be just fine. You may become more short of breath as you get a little older requiring you to have to use an inhaler or take a daily twice per day steriod such as Advair. The x-ray will reveal it all though.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
    hailey321
    (female)

hailey321 HB User

From what I'm reading on the net you can diagnose these diseases especially COPD by Xray. Can they actually see damaging effects that cause these problems on Xray.

I had an Xray while I was smoking at around the time I quit at age 37 and the doc said he was surprised at how "clean" they looked for a smoker. But I heard that the less consistent the smoking is the less chance for cancers/disease.

Also, I worked out my smoking history as your GREAT question on how much/long provoked.
    Age 17-18 = 1yr, then quite for one year. Age 19-26 smoked pack/day or more continuously, then quite for six years. Age 32-37 smoked pack/day or more then quite for 2-3 years, not sure. Then around 40 to 44 smoked half pack/day or less then quit for good. All this time exerciseing.

I appreciate your input, it's SO helpful!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
    lady1980
    (female)

lady1980 HB User

No problem. Wherever I can help. This is what I do for a living. So it comes naturally. Anytime.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
    hailey321
    (female)

hailey321 HB User

My Xrays were normal.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
    momtobaby1
    (female)

momtobaby1 HB User

Hello!
    I know your situation is different but thought I'd share my thoughts anyway. I have asthma and monitor my peak flow about twice a day, and also when I have symptoms. Mine fluctuates a fair amount, and sometimes when it is lower I don't feel short of breath or anything. Sometimes when it is lower I do though. I think a lot of factors probably go into all this. Since you don't have a history of your personal peak flows to compare your 300 to it is hard to say if that is truly low for you. I know some people normally have peak flows of even 250 and feel fine and function fine. As you age also your normal peak flow goes down. So your peak flow wouldn't the same at 18 as it would at 48.

Best of luck with your pft, hope it provides some answers for you!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #13
    lady1980
    (female)

lady1980 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailey321 View Post
    My Xrays were normal.

I told you the results would be fine. You didn't smoke as much as some people I come across at work. If so I would have told you what you could be in store. I'm very happy to hear that. Good Luck!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #14
    hailey321
    (female)

hailey321 HB User

Thanks so much to both of you.

I have one more question. Can you improve your peak flow?

Old 09-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
    lady1980
    (female)

lady1980 HB User

You can try but is basically technique and age. The older you become the harder things become. The number isn't always important only if you know what your normal is on a good day when your feeling fine. For example if you had a twin sister her peak flow could be alot less then yours. That doesn't mean that she's severe and your moderate. You really need to find out what your best is. Sit upright or stand-up. Take a big deep breath in and place your lips on the the tip making sure your teeth are no in the way and blow quick a fast like your blowing out candles. Wait 30 seconds to a min in between trys so that you don't become light headed or short of breath(SOB). Always record the best out of three. Look at the grid inside the box to see what your predicted in based on age and height. It's in inches so keep that in mind.

Closed Thread