It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Possible copd and ventolin, symbicort and spyriva question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
    marramamba
    (female)

marramamba HB User
    Possible copd and ventolin, symbicort and spyriva question

background: A month ago i got a really bad cold, after 24 hours the cough moved from just bad to approximately 45 minutes out of every hour non stop. Couldn't sleep except 10 minute periods, lying down was close to impossible. for 4 days i lived on cough medicine which didnt help much and when i ran out i went to the pharmacy but he refused to sell me anything and insisted i go right to emergency. Thank goodness he did because it took 4 atrovent/ventolin inhalation treatments to stop the spasmodic coughing and then get me breathing properly. Pharmacist told me later i was blue when i walked in which is why he sent to me to emerg. The doctor told me I had to go to my own within two weeks for a follow up, prescribed prednisone for 5 days, spyriva and bricanyl inhalers as well as an antiobiotic.

I felt better but still sick and my chest was tight, breathing not great yet figured ok, im getting over my cough. 10 days later i had gotten worse from the week before though and finally made a doctors appointment because my breathing was bad and i felt awful, was still croaking like a dying frog too.

The doctor told me to shelve the bricanyl except as a rescue and prescribed symbicort two puffs 2ce a day instead as well as the spyriva, a 7 day course of prednisone and scheduled pulmonary function tests which i go for next week.

Well i still was sick but better than i had been, the symbicort definitely was more helpful than bricanyl and then monday i worsened again. This time it was so much energy to breathe that i was drenched perspiring, couldn't sit up at my computer for more than 2 hours before i had to lie down. Went to see my parents at a store and after a half hour was turning blue trying to breathe so went to the car to wait. I am on disability so don't work and it waws the first time i really spent any time out of the house since i first got sick.

Went back today to the doctor, had so much trouble breathing after driving there that the nurse at the family medical team even came out and sat with me in the waiting room until the doctor was ready and helped remind me to breathe slowly etc. i was almost in tears i felt so sick. This doctor (its a family medical center in a major hospital and mine wasnt available but they always get you in to see someone) told me my O2 saturation was good and i was getting decent air into my lungs - i almost hit her because i felt like i had a fist in my chest lol, but she explained that it was in comparison to many which scared me stiff since it was bad enough

She prescribed ventolin on top of the spyriva and symbicort and they gave me a dose there. We negotiated 3 days of 50 mg prednisone then taper off for 3 days, i live out in the boonies and was terrified at the idea of not having any since i got worse each time the course of it ended but she didnt want more due to side effects. Within 10 minutes i was breathing better than i had for a month!!! I felt so much better it was like a miracle. I might not even need to take the prednisone if this lasts past tonight.

So now i am wondering, why wasn't it prescribed from my first emerg visit or the next doctor appointment? Is it more dangerous than the other inhalers? I know they suspect copd but since emerg used an atrovent and ventolin combo inhalation masks and it worked why not prescribe ventolin right away.

I told the doctor that bricanyl was as useful as a cigarette since i had tried to use it as a rescue.

im very scared in one way but so much better tonight, i actually enjoyed eating dinner!

Is there anything particular i have to worry about with the ventolin? i keep worrying that it must be problematic since i didnt get it prescribed before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
    hypatia
    Inactive
    (female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User
    Re: Possible copd and ventolin, symbicort and spyriva question

Ventolin (albuterol) is generally used for asthma or COPD, but is considered very safe. It's good you are having pulmonary function tests.

Note: Spiriva is a newer long-lasting form of Atrovent.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hypatia For This Useful Post:
    kheady (10-02-2011)
    Closed Thread