It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Yawning and Gasping

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
    puttinemdown

puttinemdown HB User
    Post Yawning and Gasping

I have read several posts from people who have symptoms similar to mine, but I couldn't find one from a person who had recently quit smoking. I've quit smoking for almost 3 weeks; I am using the nicotine lozenge. Everything was going fine until 4 days ago, when I suddenly found myself yawning quite a bit while watching afternoon TV. The yawning led to episodes of trying to catch my breath. I have read it as being described as "air hunger" on here; this is exactly what I'm going through. It feels like something is pushing against my diaphragm(from the inside, like I've eaten quite a bit), not allowing me to get the full benefit of air. Every 2 or 3 minutes, I find myself sucking in a huge gasp of air.
    During this first day, itlasted for about 2 hours. The next day, at almost the same time (within about 2 hours), I experienced the same thing...this time, it lasted until bedtime. I woke up yesterday morning and it began, continuing all day while at work. Same today, except maybe not quite as frequent.
    I never experienced this while smoking. I do not feel anxious. I do not hurt anywhere. I do not cough. My blood pressure is wonderful. I am not fat; maybe 15 pounds overweight(I am 6'0", 200lbs). I am a 41 year-old man who smoked for 25 years.
    About 2 weeks ago, I began walking on a treadmill during lunch hour, and lifting weights for about 10 minutes. I decided to stop doing this today, thinking that maybe certain muscles were tightening up and causing this. I don't know.
    Does anyone have any recommendations? Do any of you know of any conditions that smoking could cause that would only show up once a person quits? I'm going to the doctor later this week, if the condition continues. I find it ironic that I quit smoking, but now I can't breathe. It would almost be funny if it wasn't so aggravating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
    regina

regina HB User
    Actually, I find that exercise helps my air hunger problem.

There are several threads here that might be helpful, including the one on air hunger and the one on hyperventilation. These threads discuss several possible causes for these symptoms including anxiety, allergies, hiatal hernia, acid reflux disease, hyperthyroidism, and vocal chord dysfunction.

It's amazing that so many of us suffer from this feeling of air hunger and yet there is no one simple diagnosis or treatment. Breathing is obviously a complex system and so there isn't one easy answer.

I do suggest that you discuss the symptoms with your doctor. He/she may want to run some pulmonary/heart tests, considering that you smoked for a long time.

good luck and congratulations on quitting smoking!

Old 08-10-2003, 11:12 AM   #3
    shellbell725

shellbell725 HB User
    Are you still using the nicotine lozenges? My "air hunger" problem started after using generic meds. My thinking was that there is some filler or dye I became allergic to. (I had also quit smoking, using the patch, but had no problems). Just with the generic meds, three times. The first two times I got rid of it , then this last time, I'm stuck with it. My other posts are on the air hunger board... Good luck!
    Michelle

Closed Thread