It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• recent thoracotomy on 6/10

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
    drumsarelife998
    (male)

drumsarelife998 HB User
    recent thoracotomy on 6/10

I recently went through a thoracotomy on my right lung to remove a large benign mass. The surgery went according to plan and I am now in the recovery stage back at home. I was in the hospital until 6/14 (sunday). I have been going through a large amount of pain while recovering. The first thing I am having a lot of trouble with is sleeping. during the surgery I had to have portions of two ribs removed (because the mass was so large). They had two pipes inserted into my sides (which came out on 6/14) that seem to cause much of the pain. My first question would be about the pain sleeping. Is there any ways to suggest sleeping that would accomidate the removed section of ribs and pain from the tube site?
    I have also been suffering through a great deal of pain because of the removed sections of the two ribs. even while standing, it feels like the ribs are pulling in the wrong direction. It makes me think that they are bending into my body even while I am in a standing position with no pressure on them. Is this feeling just because of the pain of recovery, or are the ribs really trying to bend into my body? I realize that this is all probably just in my head because of all the pain I am going through. I am having trouble getting straight answers from my surgeon, doctors, or nurses and would really appreciate any new information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
    Eb Jones
    (male)

Eb Jones HB User
    Re: recent thoracotomy on 6/10

A little over a year ago, I underwent 2 thoracotomies a week apart. I was in the hospital 15 days total. As far as difficulty sleeping...... seems like I slept most of the time I was in the hospital, due to the morphine and vicodin. They sent me home with vicodin. I tried to do without, but at night I couldn't go to sleep. I could not get comfortable enough in any position...... I would end up taking a vicodin and a couple of hours later manage to go to sleep.
    I feel for you with the pain...... I didn't have any bone removed, but it's really taken me a full year to truly get past it, and I still have some discomfort. If you do some googling on the web about thoracotomy, you will see that it does indeed take a long time to get past.
    I wish you luck, I'm just about now feeling near normal, a year after. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread