It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Air Hunger

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
    Air Hunger

Anyone found a remedy for this? It is characterized by having difficulty getting air in, not out as in asthma. It is also accompanied by a lot of yawning (again, trying to get air in). It is NOT about being anxious, as many doctors would like you to believe. Although, not being able to breathe can certainly then lead to anxiety! This is a condition that can be very debilitating because when you can't get enough air in one's energy is low so that physical movement, even talking, can feel like further depletion of energy. I've had all the pulmonary tests (as have others I know who experience this) and no problems are indicated.

I'm just wondering if anyone has found something that helps. On person suggested breathing into a paper bag but that has never worked for me. Any insights appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
    Loubo
    (male)

Loubo HB User
    Re: Air Hunger

I have the same problem Jen and so far I haven't found anything on the internet that offers help. This stated 5 months ago and I'm getting very progressively more aggrivated with all the "it might be this" "it might be that".

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-23-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 11-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
    Boozjee
    (female)

Boozjee HB User

Hi, have you had any luck finding out what the problem is? This has been happening to me lately, although I don't think mine is as serious a problem as yours sounds. I just feel like taking in deep breaths sometimes repeatedly, usually seems to happen when I'm sitting or driving.

I've only started my search for the cause and was just wondering if either of your are anemic. That's one of the signs of anemia. I am, so I think it will require further research for me.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
    Loubo
    (male)

Loubo HB User

Boozjee - I have not found anything medically that has helped. I'm not anemic. But here is a story I'll share with you - - This is going to sound really nuts and I'm still not sure if it is really working but here goes - - I was driving home from a golf course several weeks ago and stopped at a local food store to get something to drink. (Note: I was experiencing "Air Hunger" during this drive home) I selected a chocolate drink called Yoo-Hoo (I assume most people have heard of it). As I continued my drive home, drinking the Yoo-Hoo, I noticed, very gradually, that my Air Hunger began to subside. I thought, could this be due to the Yoo-Hoo that I had drank? (Remember, I have been searching for the last 5 months for a reason for this breathing problem and trying to find something that would help stop it and that I had just discovered had a name; "Air Hunger".) Well, the next time I experienced Air Hunger, I tried the drink again and again my Air Hunger diminished. I have been doing this for the last several weeks to see if this is my imagination or if there is something in this drink that is helping. Don't really know for sure yet but I going to continue experimenting with this to see if it really is helping or if it's just in my head.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-23-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 11-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
    Boozjee
    (female)

Boozjee HB User

Hey Loubo, it doesn't sound nuts at all to me. So now you've go me curious. I'm going to take a look at the ingredients of Yoo-Hoo to see if there's anything unusual or different in it. I love Yoo-Hoo, so hey, if it worked, I'd be more than happy to drink some if needed! lol So far though, increasing my iron intake has stopped the "air hunger" for me.

Ok, here's the ingredients in the Yoo-Hoo:

Water, dairy whey, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, non-fat milk, corn syrup solids, cocoa (processed with potassium carbonate), soybean oil (partially hydrogenated), sodium caseinate (protein source), salt, tricalcium phosphate, dipotassium phosphate, xanthum gum, guar gum, mono-and diglycerides, vanillin (an artificial flavor), soy lechitin, calcium ascorbate (vitamin C), natural flavor, vitamin A palmiate, niacinamide (vitamin B3), vitamin D3 and riboflavin (vitamin B2)

Interesting, it could be any number of ingredients that might be helping you. Have you tried other chocolate milk drinks to see if they helped as well?

Last edited by Boozjee; 11-12-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Added information

Old 11-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
    Loubo
    (male)

Loubo HB User

Boozjee - I have tried chocolate milk thinking it was the chocolate but it does not have the same effect. I'm still not sure if this is doing anything or if it's just in my mind. Lucky I love yoo-hoo so it isn't a problem drinking it. But - I think I'm going to try an Iron supplement and see if that has any effect. I take a lot of vitamins but nothing that is heavy in iron. Glad your over the "AIR HUNGER" - - - - Thanks for the information.

Before I go - - let me ask - - do you have or did you have, any problems sleeping when you had your AIR HUNGER? I do not which leads me to believe that it is not a medical issue. I can fall asleep with not a problem and never wake with a breathing issue. Thanks again.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
    Boozjee
    (female)

Boozjee HB User

I do have sleep problems but I'm relatively certain it's related to menopause. It's been happening for a couple of years whereas the air hunger was only very recent.
    How much B vitamins do you get each day?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
    Loubo
    (male)

Loubo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boozjee View Post
    I do have sleep problems but I'm relatively certain it's related to menopause. It's been happening for a couple of years whereas the air hunger was only very recent.
    How much B vitamins do you get each day?
    Hi Boozjee - well, I can tell you that I don't have any sleeping issues, especially any related to menopause
    The vitamine B I take is whatever is in the daily vitamines I take - a high dose i believe - most of the vitamines are in the 150 + range of the daily min reguirement. Are you still free from you Air Hunger ? ? ?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
    Boozjee
    (female)

Boozjee HB User

Yes, I'm still free of the air hunger. How about you?

Old 11-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
    lavender01
    Veteran
    (female)

lavender01 HB User

I've been this way about the last month - I was even admitted to the hospital - heart tests, etc. Everything they said was ok - I do have some COPD - I am 51. They seemed to think mine was anxiety too - so I am using Zoloft and Advair - but they did want me to go to the hospital - in another town to get a stress test - why would I need that if they said my tests looked good!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
    Loubo
    (male)

Loubo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boozjee View Post
    Yes, I'm still free of the air hunger. How about you?
    No - Still have it

Old 11-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
    Loubo
    (male)

Loubo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lavender01 View Post
    I've been this way about the last month - I was even admitted to the hospital - heart tests, etc. Everything they said was ok - I do have some COPD - I am 51. They seemed to think mine was anxiety too - so I am using Zoloft and Advair - but they did want me to go to the hospital - in another town to get a stress test - why would I need that if they said my tests looked good!
    Sorry to hear your having the problem - - Frankly, they don't know what causes this issue so they will try whatever they can to find a reason. I went through the same tests - I was admitted to the hospital for what I thought was a possible heart problem - - I received all the tests - no heart problem - then when I got out of the hospital after 2 days, this breathing problem started. I can't find out what it is or what causes it. I stopped smoking after my hospital stay ! ! ! ! Maybe I should start smoking again - (Just kidding) I'm on ADIVAN, a stress medication and have been for years. It seems to help but between doses is when I notice it the most. I think it's a combination of air quality and stress but other then that, I have no clue.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
    RatedRKO123X
    (male)

RatedRKO123X HB User

I've read everyone's response here. Do you guys have the same thing i have? When i breath, i get the sensation of not filling in my lungs and not a satisfying breath. Also breathing through mouth feels terrible unless ive been exercising.
    I've tried salt intake, gatorade (suggested by the so-called retarded doctors who don't understand anything), and breathing through mouth only. None of these worked for me. I got air hunger like after my trip to Vegas (riding airplane). Does Advair help prevent air hunger? What should i do to stop it? ALSO, are your air hunger diseases a come/and go type of thing? My is always constant, some days are better than others.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #14
    Loubo
    (male)

Loubo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RatedRKO123X View Post
    I've read everyone's response here. Do you guys have the same thing i have? When i breath, i get the sensation of not filling in my lungs and not a satisfying breath. Also breathing through mouth feels terrible unless ive been exercising.
    I've tried salt intake, gatorade (suggested by the so-called retarded doctors who don't understand anything), and breathing through mouth only. None of these worked for me. I got air hunger like after my trip to Vegas (riding airplane). Does Advair help prevent air hunger? What should i do to stop it? ALSO, are your air hunger diseases a come/and go type of thing? My is always constant, some days are better than others.
    I've had it for 6 months. Thought I had a handle on it but over the last month it has been getting worse. Almost constant everyday but some days are better then others. My doctor thinks it's stress but I'm on stress meds and that can't be it. Now I'm going through series of test for lung disorders to prove or disprove that it is physical or not.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
    JoanieNTX
    (female)

JoanieNTX HB User
    Wink Re: Air Hunger

Ok folks. I have read and read, and am not seeing much on this. I had "air hunger" back when I was in my twenties. I had been stressing and stressing over a problem my husband and I had been having, and having that kind of stress where your stomach turns over and over and over constantly. I started noticing minor depression, and not wanting to go anywhere alone, etc. My diet was essentially "horrible", too. Two or three cokes a day....candy bars....fast food at lunch. Ugh. Well, one day at work, I was feeling really bad, so went and got a coke and candy bar. Just after consuming, I immediately felt "air hunger", and was really weirded out. This went on for a few days, and a friend of mine who had been having issues recommended low dose thyroid. Well, I took some (Armour), and my breathing issues went away. Flash forward 25 years. I have been through death of parent, divorce, moving, dealing with MY rebellious teen....(extreme), and my new husband's, too. Extreme cases like babies involved, drugs, jail, etc. I always knew this was affecting my adrenal glands in a bad way. I started having attacks that would start with dizziness, fatique, having to pee like 10 times in a row, weakness, etc. All after I had eaten something that stressed my adrenal glands. (Sugar, caffeine, alcohol, lots of carbs). This is very real. Those things will kill you, and if you add lots of stress to the mix...well, you're in for it. So...I start seeing a ND (Naturopathic Dr.), and she puts me on things to heal the adrenals. (Isocort, another supplement, and a better diet). I feel better, and the attacks die down a good bit, so I start eating badly again. I also began taking some Raw Adrenal Glandular. (Maybe overkill?) So I decide that since the thyroid helped me before, (I had gotten off of it after about 14 years because a Dr. wanted me to do so just to see if my thyroid would take back over), I would ask my ND to give me a low dosage again. So she put me on .25 mg. Naturthroid. I tell her about the adrenal glandular, and she wants me off of it, even though it seems to allow me to eat whatever I want or drink whatever I want. She says it is hard to know what's in it and hard to regulate. Well, I ignore her advice, and I'm sitting in a movie theater two weeks ago drinking a "Caffeinated" soda and watching a thriller that shocks the adrenals, and wham! I suddenly notice I am short of breath. I think it will go away when I get up and out in fresh air but no. So I go home and take my thyroid meds that I had forgotten to take, some Theraflu to clear congestion, and go to bed. Wake up the next a.m., and I'm fine. Three days later, I am sitting on sofa eating a piece of cake, and here it comes again. Can't breathe good. I think maybe low iron? Get some supplements.....symptoms continue, so 2 days later I go to a clinic and they give me stuff for bronchitis....antiobiotics, inhaler, prednisolone. Nothing helps. So.....three days later, I am not breathing well, and remember to take my Isocort (for adrenals) that I had been neglecting. Hey! The short breath eases up, and I'm able to get out of bed and function. I do some housework, cook dinner, visit with friends, (basically overdo it). That night, I end up in emergency room because about 7:00 p.m., I bottom out. They admit me and I spend three days while they rule out heart, lungs, etc. I come home, and have a good Friday (overdo it at work), bad Saturday until..........I remember I have some DHEA .25 mg, AND my Isocort, so I take both. After about an hour (the time it takes for it to get in and start working), I get relief. Enough that I'm able to go to Health Food Store AND to eat with hubby. Sunday I get up and go to lunch (taking my DHEA and Isocort, too), and actually go to a plant nursery to look at plants....then home to do housework, go outside, and cook dinner. About 7:00 p.m., I bottom out again. I remembered my saliva tests that the ND had done on me in November, and my cortisol level is higher in the a.m., then drops significantly in the afternoon and evening. Sunday night I have a hard time, and can't sleep all night. (Could be from all the B vitamins, pantothenic acid, etc., etc., etc. I took trying to get that good feeling back from earlier). Even with a Xanax (given to me by the hospital doctor) I was unable to sleep. I call my ND Monday a.m., and she actually does a housecall, checks me out, and puts me on the regime we want to try for now, which is the Naturthroid, Isocort, Calcium Mag Zinc Supplements, (3) a day, and DHEA, 25 mg. I KNOW this is adrenal/thyroid related. There is no doubt in my mind. Don't think that if you're not stressing like major bad that you're not stressing, because we live in a world where stress is HUGE. Violence, bad food choices, toxic relationships, etc. I would think that everyone's adrenals would need a bit of help. Anyway, if you haven't, please DO check into the adrenal/thyroid issue. And see an ND. Conventional meds is most likely just going to take all of your money and leave you no better for it. An ND will realize the correlation and can do saliva tests, etc. And they listen to YOU, and what you're telling them, and not the textbook. Also, please DO come back on here and share when you find some answers or feel better. It's so depressing to just read the bad stuff all the time. (Also, re: stress.....if you have "air hunger", then you have stress, so even if you don't think you had stress before, you do now). Betting your adrenals could use a bit of help!

Pray, pray, pray, and God bless you all! Let's kick this thing!

Closed Thread