It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Collapsed Lung Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
    jaboop35
    (male)

jaboop35 HB User
    Collapsed Lung Question

Hey everyone. I'll try to make this quick. Basically over the last month or so, I've had this strange chest pain/popping (more popping actually) on and off. It'll happen for about 2 days and then start to get better for a few and then go back again. I've had a few doctors listen to my lungs and they sounded fine apparently, and about a week ago I had a chest x-ray which was normal. My question is, could a collapsed lung come and go like that where it would heal in a couple days and then come back? I don't really have a whole lot of chest pain, and I'm not too short of breath (I think maybe some of the shortness of breath is anxiety about it). Any help would be really appreciated as I'm quite concerned about this. Also, sometimes the popping occurs in my lower ribcage on the right side. As far as I know your lungs don't go down quite that far, but maybe I'm wrong. Any thoughts on any of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
    Root16
    (male)

Root16 HB User
    Re: Collapsed Lung Question

if the popping is happening in areas where your lungs aren't, then maybe the popping doesn't have to do with your lungs. Can you describe the popping in a bit more detail?

Last edited by moderator2; 12-26-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: please do not post pictures - as per the posting policy

Old 12-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
    jaboop35
    (male)

jaboop35 HB User

Thanks for the reply root. The popping for the most part happens in the front of my chest on the right side of my sternum. That's probably the most prominent part. That area seems to be related to movement though, and the popping seems more like it would be on the surface. The other main popping area is my lower back and side at the bottom of the ribcage. From what I can tell, your lungs don't go down that far in your ribcage, but I don't know for certain. Sometimes I also get the pop at the bottom of my sternum, more toward the right side of my ribcage, but that one also seems to be muscles or something. Could it be just my ribcage moving around, or does it sound lung related?

Old 12-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
    Root16
    (male)

Root16 HB User

Looks like your spleen and liver are at the bottom of your ribcage.

I had a collapsed lung once and it hurt pretty bad, so if you're not having much pain, then I would say based on my experience it's not a collapsed lung. Given everything you've said, it doesn't sound like your lungs. The other thing about a collapsed lung is that the pain is deep inside you, and in my experience, was hard to pinpoint where in my shouder the pain was. You describe your pain at the surface and that it is associated with movement, so sounds like if anything, it's muscle related. But I am no doctor. Maybe air somehow got trapped outside your lung? Did you notice anything before the popping began?

Last edited by moderator2; 12-27-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: please do not post pictures - as per the posting policy

Old 12-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
    jaboop35
    (male)

jaboop35 HB User

Not really, the popping is kinda what started it. Most of the pain I have is up toward my throat, kinda on the outside of my neck. It comes and goes, so I'm not really sure.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
    mikeylksit
    (male)

mikeylksit HB User

my lung has collapsed 8 times 7 on the right and once on the left and i have to agree if it's not bad pain it's not your lung collapsed.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
    Poirot
    (male)

Poirot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeylksit View Post
    my lung has collapsed 8 times 7 on the right and once on the left and i have to agree if it's not bad pain it's not your lung collapsed.
    Its shocking that your lung collapsed that many times and you were not offered a procedure to prevent lung collapse! Were you not?

Closed Thread