It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Lifelong asthmatic, chest xray says mild chronic obstructive

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
    whodunitdiva
    (female)

whodunitdiva HB User
    Lifelong asthmatic, chest xray says mild chronic obstructive

Hi, I've had asthma since I was a baby. Used to it, have a great asthma allergy doc I'm not able to see for a bit due to having to wait to take a day off till spring break (I teach).

I'm up early worried though as when I went in this past fall and had a chest xray, and under it, it said something about a mild chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, something from the radiologist, like no abnormalities, but a mild chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. I had gone into the ER where I had the chest xray, and the ER doc came out and said: good news, your lungs are clear, we just see asthma and they gave me an asthma treatment, and sent me home. This was earliler this fall when most of my colleagues were getting sick from students, some had swine flu, etc.

A P.A. (Phy. Assistant) got this report from the ER and said I might have mild COPD, he read from that radiologist's words to me. This is weird as I had just seen my asthma/allergy doc and he said I had a well-controlled form of asthma, he did breathing tests, spirometry something, and he's a great well-respected doctor in our area. He's even stepping me down from my heavier asthma drugs.

Could this

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
    whodunitdiva
    (female)

whodunitdiva HB User
    Re: Lifelong asthmatic, chest xray says mild chronic obstructive

Sorry, long winded (respiratory humor! But if it's cut off, forgive me for continuing it for now, just worried.

Could this "a mild chronic obstructive pulmonary disease" still be asthma? I have other diseases and it's hard to think of adding on another one right now and I seem to feel fine. So could an ER doc and my asthma doc and other doctors be wrong and I not have asthma as I've always had since I was a baby, or could the P.A. be right (?) and I now have a mild chronic obstructive pulmonary disease? OR could the radioloigist just have meant he saw SOME kind of mild chronic obstructive pulomonary disease, not necessarily COPD. Maybe this is just another way of saying asthma in radiology? Would love your insights, up most of the night worried and now have to go in and face my students and I wanted to get things out on paper so to speak and ask the right people, thank you!

Old 01-29-2010, 05:01 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

There are several conditions included under COPD. Some doctors include asthma. That might be the radiologist who read the x ray's method. I wouldn't worry about it as treatment is pretty much the same anyway. If you really want to know before you see your doctor, you could contact the radiologist for more information.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
    whodunitdiva
    (female)

whodunitdiva HB User

Here's a weird development: a fellow asthmatic teacher, living in the same town, and I have had the same thing happen with a radiologist at the same hospital (probably the same radiologist)! I called to get some thoughts from her, asked if she had ever heard of COPD with her asthmatic condition and she said yes. She has a similiar story, her doctor read to her from the radiologist report: COPD! He treated her for about a week on some extra meds, she improved, and then when she asked, do I really have COPD, he said no. The radiologist is just looking at something and doesn't know your history, but he said HE knew her history and the answer was no, still asthma. I'm due to go to that doctor sometime soon too. I'm switching from that PA to this doctor and will be glad of his insight. Meanwhile, thanks so much for your answer and I agree about the "catchall" term.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    There are several conditions included under COPD. Some doctors include asthma. That might be the radiologist who read the x ray's method. I wouldn't worry about it as treatment is pretty much the same anyway. If you really want to know before you see your doctor, you could contact the radiologist for more information.
    I have had allergic asthma for years. My allergist has always done a spirometry[?] test and has never said I have had COPD.

This November I had a chest x ray in another city and here's what the radiologist said:

"There is in part a flattening of the hemidiaphragms[sp?] in keeping with COPD."

(He also said I have had broken ribs sometime in the past -- I've never broken a rib in my life. And he missed my scoliosis.) I had him read it again, and the report stayed the same. Is it poss. for COPD to be mistaken for asthma? My naturopath says yes, but I hadn't had the report yet to show her. I haven't seen my GP yet, but plan to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread