It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Chronic respiratory condition - been on steroids for 8 months...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User
    Chronic respiratory condition - been on steroids for 8 months...

Hi everyone,

I am extremely frustrated For the past eight months, I've had a recurring respiratory infection. It begins with weasing/coughing, gets worse over a few days and doesn't let up unless I take prednisone. In eight months, I've gained 96 lbs from the steroids.

I always start off at 50mg (maximum for adults), stay at that dose for a week or two, then taper off slowly. Once I'm completely off the prednisone, I am healthy for 2-3 weeks, then it starts all over again.

From a vanity standpoint, I am very unhappy with my weight. I'm 5'11" and have always had a slim build. That is not the case anymore I do not want to go anywhere, do anything, see anyone etc. I can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore. My husband tells me I'm still beautiful, and I love him for trying, however this has taken a toll on me in the worst way.

I've seen a respirologist, and am currently waiting for a second opinion. The first one I saw, did a bunch of breathing tests and sent me on my way with, yet another, script for prednisone and a new inhaler (alvesco).

Ugh. Right now, I am tapering at 40mg so I'll be on prednisone for about two more weeks. I take eight puffs/day of Symbicort, four puffs/day of Bricanyl, and four puffs/day Alvesco. As I taper off the prednisone, I'll also taper off the inhalers.

My husband and I are relocating with our two young daughters from Toronto, Canada to North Carolina in April. My family physician thinks I'll be much healthier once we move to the warmer climate, but I have no idea how I'm even going to survive. With the added weight, I don't have nearly as much energy as I used to. I used to jog 3-5 miles a day. I can't even run at all now, due to my lungs. It is extremely painful to even go for a slow, light jog. I continue to go to the gym but cardio is out of the question. My chest is too tight and the pain is unbearable. I walk frequently, but have to bring my Bricanyl inhaler with me (which I use at least once).

Has anyone been through a similar experience? Frequent respiratory condition that just won't quit?

Thanks for reading - I look forward to any/all suggestions.

emsmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
    greys43
    (female)

greys43 HB User
    Re: Chronic respiratory condition - been on steroids for 8 months...

Hi have you had any chest xray? I was short on breath and hurt to take in air. Had xray found out collaspedlung had it over a week before I found out. Good Luck

Old 02-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User
    Re: Chronic respiratory condition - been on steroids for 8 months...

Hi Grey,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I had a chest x-ray at the very beginning of all this (eight months ago). Perhaps I should request another one.

Wow, you had a collapsed lung for a week and didn't know? That must've been extremely painful.

Happy Valentine's Day

emsmom

Closed Thread