It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• New.. Lots of questions.. LUNG

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
    cc4npg
    (female)

cc4npg HB User
    New.. Lots of questions.. LUNG

I'm 43, non-smoker, in the Ohio valley area. I hopefully am over an infection or something I've had for a while. In March, I became sick. It went on and off, your typical indication of virus; fever, tiredness, achey, sweats when fever broke, swollen glands in throat, and even a bit of hoarseness w/slight sore throat. I didn't think I'd ever get to feeling well. Over the coarse of 3 weeks or so, these symptoms went away, and I was left with a little cough (non-productive). It turned into a productive cough (very), woke me up at night, even gagged me a couple of times because I couldn't stop coughing.

Anyway, I finally went to doc. Chest x ray abnormal, so got ct. A few things on ct findings that are probably not extremely alarming, probably old infections, but I need opinions from those who've maybe had these findings.

Under "findings": Calcified pretracheal and right hilar lymph nodes present; very prominent fibrotic apical scarring (did I have tb in past??); density in chest w/focal infiltrate in lingula; pleural-based 2-3 mm nodule (not calcified); no pleural effusion but some atelectatic change medially left lung base; 2 nodules midlung 6-7 mm range (uncalcified but did not enhance w/contrast).

Under "impression": multiple small 1-2 mm nodules throughout lung fields felt to be probably residual of reticulonodular lung process (is this like the infection I just had?); multiple nodes are calcified in the mediastinum; appearance is low probability malignancy.

Now, the low probability sentence was, I believe, speaking of the calcified nodes. It was labeled #2 in impression, right after the sentence speaking of those nodes. Who can help me understand all of what they're saying?? PCP didn't have "time" to speak to me today, but another doc in office said it was nothing to be alarmed about. But I want to understand what it all means if possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
    pegkro
    (female)

pegkro HB Userpegkro HB Userpegkro HB User
    Re: New.. Lots of questions.. LUNG

I can't tell you what nodes are, but they appear after infections of the lung, and are associated with TB, hence the question about TB. I, because I was a long time smoker, was put in the catagory of possible cancer, and was sent to an oncologist. In the meantime, through a bronchscopy, and lung biopsy, it was determined that I had MAC, a serious lung infection, that is difficult to Dx, and treat. Get to a good pulmonologist, and keep asking questions, until you get the right answers. Hope this helps. Peggy

Old 07-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
    cc4npg
    (female)

cc4npg HB User

Kinda long. Well I still can't get actual answers from my PCP, and of course it's the 4th weekend. I had a nurse look at the report and she agrees that there is nothing to be alarmed about. I'm not necessarily alarmed, but concerned. I think something is missing. You mentioned MAC, for instance. Let me explain how this bout of sickness started, and maybe some of you will be able to say yes or no to the possibility of MAC.

In March, as stated, this began. Now, before I begin, let me also state that I DO eat sushi which is raw fish. I don't know if I had any in March, but I'm thinking I may have. In fact, I'd almost bet I did because I remember paying for it and it was some sort of a celebration. Anyway, one website said MAC can come from the consumption of raw fish!

So I want to list the symptoms I had. I don't recall the order in which these happened. I either had a few different viruses, or the same one kept going back and forth. I remember having a sore throat, swollen glands in the throat, being VERY tired (I literally almost fell asleep several times while documenting nursing adl's), chills, fever, AND yes I had diarrhea varying from just loose to water. The fever was the weirdest. I would get it around 1-2 p.m., and it would start with chills. By 4-5 it would be like 100.6-101, but usually lower grade. I'd go home, and normally I didn't take tylenol. Sometime during the night, it would break and I had probably 4-5 individual nights (perhaps not in a row) where this happened and I'd wake up literally dripping from sweat!! I even asked one of my nurses if it could be menopause, but that wouldn't cause fever. The sheets were even wet! Every one of those symptoms disappeared, leaving just the cough that started sometime during all of it. I knew I was sick, but now I think I was sicker than I thought. The cough started out dry, nonproductive and became wet, sometimes but rarely barky, and very productive. The yellow junk coming from my chest was weird. Sometimes thick/sticky and round looking, but most often thinner, gooey, and just nasty. It ranged from light yellow, to darker yellow (if thicker), and one morning it almost looked like it was a greyish/yellow color. Lying down would ALWAYS trigger it if I wanted to show someone. I could "feel" it. And a few times I woke up coughing my head off to the point I thought I might throw up. I thought it strange that coughing didn't hurt in my chest... not one bit... it just felt like junk in my chest coming up. And I thought it odd my throat never got sore from it. So then one night I had just laid down... I wasn't coughing, but could "feel" the urge to bring something up from my chest, so I coughed barely to bring "it" up. When I spit, it was blood. Not tinged, not streaked, but blood. I could feel it bleeding high in my chest, and produced probably 4-5 coughs with blood. It was enough to mostly saturate ONE paper towel, which in my opinion wasn't all that much. It clotted and no more bloody cough, but I went to doc next day who put me on amoxil 250 for 10 days (30 pills), and the cough went away.

All my tb tests have been negative. I had one in 2007, 2008, 2009, and three this year due to job changes. I've never played with pigeons, but had a cherry tree growing up and birds LOVED eating and pooping them out all over my house. Never had asthma. Allergies to dust mites, cats, mold and dog, but had shots 3 years and allergies were gone. Live currently in country setting, corn field across street, and home has radon evacuation (lived here 4 years, radon put in when moved in), but I'm like never downstairs. We have well water here. And I'm a nurse aide and know I was probably somewhat exposed to MRSA and C-diff, however of course standard precautions were always used and my symptoms don't match those illnesses.

I'm going to mention MAC to my allergist and doc this week, especially since it could be linked to sushi. I feel better, but I want to make sure the amoxil didn't just mask it temporarily.

Anyone have any other ideas??

Old 07-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
    cc4npg
    (female)

cc4npg HB User

Update... the doc told me today it was probably coccidiomyosis, BUT I think she's a bit confused since we live in the Ohio valley and not California. That fungal infection is common in those parts. I think she meant histoplasmosis.

Since I haven't had any blood work done, and I've not taken any anti fungal medications, I'm not sure I agree with the diagnosis unless I'm asymptomatic to the fungal infection and it was simply an incidental finding. The only way it would make sense is if I'd had a nasty bronchitis in addition to the incidental finding, meaning the amoxil probably killed the bronchitis and the histoplasmosis is still there but not affecting me.

Confusing...

Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
    amygil
    (female)

amygil HB User

Never quit never give up change doctors until you are comfortable with you diagnois/
    Dont go crazy on the internet.. Syart with your diet... I had a very bad experience in 1997-1999 found out after many doctors thought what i had was MS turned out to be way too much diet coke with the culprit was aspartame

Closed Thread