It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

TB..Help Please

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Madison104
Senior Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User
TB..Help Please

I rent from my friend whose mother has TB. What we won't know is rather this is dormant or active until Tuesday. I have not been near the mom since last summer, BUT my friend visits her frequently and I live upstairs in my friend's apartment and she and I DO visit often. I am VERY concerned about this, and I need to know more like what are my chances of getting this. I have Lupus...and well a grandson that visits.

Anyway, ANY info. that you may have would be greatly appreciated. I have kept my grandson away for now just to be careful.

The mom's tb test on her arm was negative, but something about the bloodwork was amiss as was her scope that they did on Friday. The doctor says she DOES have TB......

(sigh)
Would I be feeling sick if I was exposed? And would you think I should be tested regardless.
I'd like to calm down, but I am struggling to do so.
Thanks everyone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
pupcake
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: TB..Help Please

The TB mycobacterium is very slow growing. It is possible to cure TB disease with antibiotics but it takes a long time.

A person would always test positive with a skin test but wouldn't have disease.

I would wait and see what her diagnosis actually is and then get tested. Was this person around you in a closed enviorment coughing frequently? You have to get the bacterium in your lungs to "get" TB. To have active TB your symptoms would be: weakness, fatigue, cough, bloody sputum, unexpalined weight loss (#20 or more) night sweats.

Hang in there.

Pup

Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Madison104
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi pupcake, this is so confusing to me. Thanks for your patience. The person that has the TB, according to her doctor was NOT around me personally, and when she was 7 mths ago it was not in a closed environment. Just her kitchen, and she has copd so she always coughs.
What I don't get is she had NO skin reaction, but the doctor said her bloodwork showed positive? And they did do a biopsy which we won't know the results of until Tuesday.

I would think if she had TB her skin test would of been positive..???
Thanks again, I really appreciate it!!

Old 02-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
pupcake
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

If people are severely ill (have AIDS or other immune system problems) or totally innundated with TB they might skin test negative but a sputum (spit) test would be positive I'm not sure on blood testing because the antibodies would be there even if dormant.

If you weren't around her much and have a normal immune system you should be fine, it is actually hard to catch TB.

Pup

Old 02-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Madison104
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay Pup...Actually my immune system is not up to par...I have systemic Lupus so that does concern me.....

She will know Tuesday and I suppose I can call my rheumy and see what he would like to do....
Gosh I hate stressing over such things. You have been very helpful. Hopefully I will be okay...

Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You know, if she has COPD, she may be on steroids. There are lots of older people with little TB lesions in their lungs, and sometimes steroid treatment opens them up a little. That would actually explain a false negative skin test. I pray that she responds well to treatment, if she does in fact have it.

For you, I think the risk is pretty low. TB spreads among people who have a LOT of contact, like immediate family members or prisoners in the same jail. Get tested if it would put your mind at ease, but don't sweat it.

Closed Thread