It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Inhaled rice (i think into my lungs) and now feel terrible - should I be worried??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
    kmarie77
    (female)

kmarie77 HB User
    Unhappy Inhaled rice (i think into my lungs) and now feel terrible - should I be worried??

I inhaled rice at dinner last night, coughed and choked immediately but I don't think all of it came up. I think I must have gotten some in my lungs but of course can't be sure. All night long my throat was extremely sore, and today I feel a heaviness - like mucus - in my chest. My nose also has a lot of mucus and throat is still painful though not nearly as bad as last night/ early this morning.

How do I know if it is just the sudden onset of the common cold and just by coincidence began after dinner last night? If it is in fact caused by the rice, will my body take care of this on its own or should I be more concerned?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
    Kaji
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User
    Re: Inhaled rice (i think into my lungs) and now feel terrible - should I be worried?

If you inhaled/choked on your food or drink and you feel like crap now - GO TO THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY... it doesn't matter if he says there's nothing wrong with you - far better to be safe than sorry. DH choked on some food last year and had a little bit of it stuck in his lung overnight. He coughed and spluttered and wheezed away in his sleep and eventually coughed it up, but by the time morning came around he had inhalation pneumonia. His doctor asked him why he didn't go to the ER the night before?

Closed Thread

Tags
    aspirating, food, lungs, mucus, rice