It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Fluid drained, breathing fine, but collapsed lung hasn't come back as expected.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
    SIFerrygirl
    (female)

SIFerrygirl HB User
    Fluid drained, breathing fine, but collapsed lung hasn't come back as expected.

All the fluid was drained in the hospital, about 1.5 liters. The tube put in to collect any fluids is in place. I felt too scared to go into another surgery now. I am checking with my previous breast cancer doctor for a second opinion. Perhaps the fibrous core can be treated. I hope it is not a tumor. Up until the past couple of weeks, I had been biking 45 minutes almost everyday. I stopped because of the snow, not shortness of breath. I'm a breast cancer survivor, 14 years; it looks like a recurrence in the lung.

Does anyone know ways to try to expand the lung? I use the practice plastic device given in the hospital, take deep breaths, and sing. Many thanks, and good luck to everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
    gourdgrower
    (female)

gourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB User
    Re: Fluid drained, breathing fine, but collapsed lung hasn't come back as expected.

Hello there,

I have also been through a collapsed lung after a serious accident on my motorcycle in the desert. I was 51 years old at the time, and the accident also broke 7 ribs, my shoulder and clavicle. The recovery is slow, in fact I am two years past my accident, and it still hurts a times to breath at times, and to lay on the affected side. Although I am sure that is not what you want to hear, that is my experience. I too have multiple medical problems that I am sure do not help with recovery.

I would ask your doctor if your issues are typical after a collapsed lung (pneumothorax). Are your oxygen levels good? I would put all your concerns into a list before going to the doctor so you don't forget anything. I wish you the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to gourdgrower For This Useful Post:
    SIFerrygirl (12-18-2013)
    Old 12-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
    SIFerrygirl
    (female)

SIFerrygirl HB User
    Re: Fluid drained, breathing fine, but collapsed lung hasn't come back as expected.

Thank you for post. I am grateful for your sharing your experience. My instinct about thus frightening experience is that it will take time for my body to heal, and I need to allow my body and spirit at least several months to begin to recover.

I did see my doctor today. It was great to see her. She is one in a million. Before this event, I had been experiencing about 14 weeks of unbridled stress, anxiety, and insomnia. I told one of people at my son's school that they shouldn't be stressing older parents like my husband and me. I said I was a breast cancer survivor (14 years stage 1) and that this horrible stuff they were doing to our son and our family could cause a recurrence. Little did I know that a breast cancer recurrence would shortly afterwards cause me to be in the hospital for four days. And you know what, the special ed staff couldn't care less about how rudely, cruelly, and discourteously they behave towards parents of disabled children. Let alone how they abuse disabled children in their program.
    It was worth it to go out of town to see. My doctor prescribed tablets to help with my situation. Over time there could be a substantive improvement.

Last edited by SIFerrygirl; 12-18-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
    gourdgrower
    (female)

gourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB User

It breaks my heart to hear of the struggles you are facing, on so many fronts. I know how difficult it can be to be an ill parent of special children. Taking care of ourselves is so important, but can be exhausting.

I do not recall you mentioning anything about breathing treatments, but I did continue my breathing treatments after leaving the hospital. They are typically performed by a respitory therapist, but after instruction, I had one to take home. You might look into that with your doctor.

As far as recovery, my doctor told me 6 months, and at 6 months it still hurt, and he told me a year, and at a year, he said it might always hurt. He was just trying to ease me into it.

The plastic contraption from the hospital are really much more effective than we might think. I kept mine in my lap and took some good breaths every commercial on tv well into my recovery.

I have never experienced anything more terrifying than the knowledge I could not breath. I would agree that there is an aspect of emotional recovery necessary as well.

Stay strong

The Following User Says Thank You to gourdgrower For This Useful Post:
    SIFerrygirl (12-19-2013)
    Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
    SIFerrygirl
    (female)

SIFerrygirl HB User

Thank you so much for your post. Your compassion touched my heart.

Last night I slept well, and I felt better today.

In the hospital, I had breathing treatments. The internal medicine doctor said I did not need to continue having them. He is the only medical professional who recommended the blue breathing device. I was so glad he did.

Thanks for telling me it's good to continue with using the blue breathing tube at home. I will. I like the idea of using it during commercials.

My doctor also said the collapsed lung could take months to improve. Knowing this process will take awhile is helpful. I feel like I need time to heal.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
    gourdgrower
    (female)

I am so happy to hear that you found some comfort in hearing my experience. I have been through many challenging medical procedures, but the collapsed lung has been downright scary.

It has been a slow recovery, and I feel mine the worst when I am ready to sneeze. Taking the big breath in definitely pushes my lung capacity to its max, and that hurts a bit.

I hope you can relax and allow your recovery to happen without creating undo stress, and I am happy we were able to connect.

Closed Thread

Tags
    breast cancer, pleural effusion