It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

• Need Advice PLEASE!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
    Reesong
    (female)

Reesong HB User
    Need Advice PLEASE!

I am 40 years old. Have had chronic bronchitis and sinusitis my whole life. Had sinus surgery due to pollops in 2006. This Oct. has bronchitis that lasted 2 months and doc could not get rid of it and I was really achy and antibiotics would not get rid of infection. On a fluke she did lupus test and I tested positive. She then referred me to a pulmonologist. He has since done loads of blood work. All that has come back negative except for my Igg 3 which was 20. He did a chest CT and I have an enlarged lymph node. I finally got rid of bronchitis and am sick again with a sinus infection (on no meds) and on my way to another bronchitis. After my cat scan results and labs came back my pulmonologists words were :blood work is all fine, we will redo catscan in a month to see in lymph node gets bigger or smaller. Am I missing something here? I am still sick. Is the Cat scan a big deal? Is the IGG anything? Is the positive lupus anything? I feel like I'm getting no answers and all the while I'm still sick and feeling like junk. Thank you for any feedback. I appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Need Advice PLEASE!

Welcome to the boards. Glad you found your way here. Overall, your history suggests underlying allergy problems, which predisposes to infection of the respiratory tract. Each minor infection can result in sinus infections and bronchitis. On top of that, the IGG 3 is low, indicating a possible selective immune deficiency of that class of antibodies. Different labs use different normal values, so it is best to get a copy of your results and see what the reference range is. The same with your lupus test. It is helpful to know the titer (degree to which it is positive) and pattern (there are a few). Lupus can predispose to infection as well. It can also cause enlarged lymph nodes, but so could a recent bronchitis. So, I would get your lupus test results and any others on paper, as well as your CT result to know how big the lymph node in chest is. Normal nodes are under 1 cm, really big ones are 3-4 cm, to give you a reference point. It is important to do the following: Try to keep allergies under the best control you can. Find out what you are allergic to and minimize your exposure, filter your air, dust your house, etc. When you do get an infection, treat it early before it gets severe. Get flu and pneumococcal vaccines. Consider immunoglobulin therapy if an IGG 3 deficiency exists. This will boost your antibody levels to germs that keep infecting you. Try to reduce your exposure to people with respiratory infections, even minor colds, as it will be worse for you when you get it from them. Use hand sanitizers and wipes when in public. That should be quite enough homework for you to ponder and do for awhile! Ha! Not a laughing matter-I know because I have lupus, allergies, asthma and get chronic sinus and bronchial infections too, so this is the routine I live with myself. Hope this helps!

Old 02-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
    Reesong
    (female)

Reesong HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I will do all of those things!

Old 02-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
    Reesong
    (female)

Reesong HB User

Here are some updates:
    I have had chronic bronchitis/sinisitus for years.
    Had sinus surgery due to level of sinus issues.
    I don't get a cold, I get bronchitis - pneumonia/pleuresy, etc.
    I have cold sores on my lips often.
    In june I was diagnosed with an eye ulcer - I have never had any problems with my eyes. Ophthamalogist did test and said my tear ducts have stopped working.
    I have blurred vision and my eye sight is deteriorating.
    Exhausted
    Joint paint
    Tingling extremeties
    Migraines for years
    CT of chest shows enlarged lymph node in lower right pre tracheal region 2.5x1.4x0.8 and they want to do another ct in march
    sore throat and coughing they just prescribed prilosec for acid reflux and although I've never had heart burn or anything like it, it's working....
    I have testing borderline positive for lupus one time and negative the next. 1:80 Homogeneous Pattern
    RA factor was -9.0
    Igg subclass 3 LOW at 21 everything else normal
    No lyme disease
    White blood count tends to be a little hight
    Seg tends to be at about 80%
    Lymph tends to be low
    SED rate was elevated
    CPK was normal
    First appt with rheumatalogist on the 24 of Feb. any thoughts on what this could be? Would really appreciate it.

thank you!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Reesong, You indeed have numerous symptoms that could be explained by an autoimmune disease, however, I would like to point out a few things. Depending on the timeline of when your symptoms started and when you started amiodorone, there have been reports of lupus-like illness and + ANA as a side effect from that drug. In the drug induced lupus syndromes 90% have a homogenous pattern. There are special tests than can be done to check for DILE (drug induced lupus erythematosus). They are anti-histone antibodies and anti-ssDNA (single strand DNA). Anti-dsDNA (double strand DNA) is often elevated in regular lupus, but ssDNA distinguishes drug induced, so both should be measured in your case. That amiodorone can cause DILE is reason enough IMO, to be switched to a drug that doesn't have that tendency, even if your symptoms preceded the drug use. Why add potential insult to injury? The other thing is the chest lymph node. If this is a hilar node (around the bronchial tubes), sarcoidosis should be considered as well. Lupus can cause enlarged lymph nodes, but that size is rather large. The good news is that if this IS DILE, the symptoms typically resolve within a few weeks of discontinuing the offending drug.

Last edited by ladybud; 02-14-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: clarification

Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
    Reesong
    (female)

Reesong HB User

lady bug I don't know what "amiodorone" your referring to? I am not taking that?? Help me understand. . thanks..

Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

So sorry, I think I read a different thread with amiodorone involved, but Prilosec is also on the list of drugs that can cause DILE, so the info I posted is still pertinent if you consider the Prilosec may not be the best choice and there are lots of other similar drugs for reflux. Sorry about the confusion!

Closed Thread

Tags
    cat scan results, lupus