It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board

Help/Advice ... I'm finding it so hard to breathe?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
cazajacks
Veteran
(female)

cazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB User
Help/Advice ... I'm finding it so hard to breathe?

Hi, I'm not dying but i'm finding it really hard work to breathe because I am constantly wheezing all day and all night, much worse at night. My oxygen levels have dropped to 91/92% and i'm just exhausted with what I feel is the struggle/effort to breathe through this wheeze. Dr said I had a mild chest infection and Pleurisy, but im feeling awful, I am so very breathless every time I move or even cough. Dr has put me on Penecilin which ive been taking for 2 days now and he's given me an asthma pump to open my airways, ( I am not asthmatic). I seem to keep wanting to fall asleep a lot more, but when I lay down my breathing is even worse. Do I just sit this out and wait for the Penecilin to kick in, or should I be alarmed at this. I am still trying to do everyday things, but its exhausting me, I do not have the breath or energy to shower and I really need to have one, but I know I can't do it. The wheeze is so annoying, I cough and I clear my airway, but within seconds its back again and I feel this is what is causing me to feel like i'm struggling, as I can't seem to get the air through the wheeze/sputum.
I don't really have any illnesses, i'm a 50 yr old female, had breast cancer 3 years ago but all fine now. My chest is so sore its actually painful but I feel that is where im using the effort to breathe, I am just concerned that my oxygen level has dropped so low.

Thanks

Caz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
parker1261
(female)

parker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB User
Re: Help/Advice..Im finding it so hard to breathe?

hi caz - i am concerned about you ! personally i would ask how long the antibiotics should take to kick in...maybe call your pharmacy since it's the weekend ? does your ins group have an on-call nurse you could contact ? also consider sleeping sitting up. i use 2 wedge pillows to elevate my torso when i sleep but you can pile pillows or fold up blankets too. is there someone who can stay with you for a few days if you live alone ? breathing issues can quickly become emergencies and can be scary if you are alone....scary if you're not alone too. or a friend or neighbor who can call to check on you maybe ?

Pleurisy is PAINFUL ! can you call your doc for anti-inflammatory or pain meds ? cough syrup ? most drs have an answering service and can get a message to them.

and please allow yourself to rest....no need to clean house, take a shower, do laundry etc. what energy and strength your body has needs to be used for healing. your laundry can wait....

i apologize if i sound bossy; sometimes i give a lecture instead of gentle advice....keep us posted and take care .

Be careful when following the masses; sometimes the "M" is silent !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The following user gives a hug of support to parker1261:
solofelix (08-23-2014)
The Following User Says Thank You to parker1261 For This Useful Post:
cazajacks (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,

I'm surprised you are not in Hospital with Plueresy.
I had this when I was in my fifties and had to stay in hospital.
I am an Asthmatic so may be that was why.
Anyhow don't struggle with not being able to breathe it can be serious and if you are really feeling bad then get someone to take you to E.R.
All the best,

Solofelix.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
cazajacks
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi,

I'm surprised you are not in Hospital with Plueresy.
I had this when I was in my fifties and had to stay in hospital.
I am an Asthmatic so may be that was why.
Anyhow don't struggle with not being able to breathe it can be serious and if you are really feeling bad then get someone to take you to E.R.
All the best,

Solofelix.
Hi, I am in England so we don't have the insurance thing....I do feel a bit better now...when I wrote that post earlier I felt awful, and I ended up falling asleep like I was drugged. I just felt so out of it. I have now had something to eat and drink, but my chest is very sore so have taken painkillers. We don't have dr's we can call here in England, you just have to go to your local hospital and sit and wait in a huge queue, it can be 6 or 7 hours you are sitting waiting as our National Health system is in chaos over here. There is not enough beds or staff so you just sit on a chair with everyone else, often lots of drunks and wait, so this puts me off going. There is no one I can ring to ask advice, I do live with my husband so if things got bad he would help me. But my chest is so uncomfortable, the wheezing has calmed down for now, but I know it will start up again, if I go to the hospital I know what will happen, it will all be clear and calm. I will see how tonight goes and if it gets worse I will go to hospital tomorrow, thank you for trying to help me xx

Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 AM   #5
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi casajacks,

I understand the U.K medical system I was born and lived there for 53 yrs.
It's not a lot different here in Ireland though where I live its easy to see a Dr. but hospitals are much the same with waiting times as the U.K.
As an Asthmatic I know all there is to know about difficulty breathing.
Continue with the medication and rest or stay in bed as much as you can, prop yourself up with lots of pillows don't lie flat.
If you don't improve you must go back to your Dr as he can admit you to the hospital if necessary. I wish you well and keep in touch,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
cazajacks (08-24-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
cazajacks
Veteran
(female)

Re: Help/Advice .. I'm finding it so hard to breathe?

Hi guys, well yesterday was he worst day, I felt awful so I rang for the dr to come out, but as it was bank holiday no drs are working. I rung the hospital non urgent line and they told me I needed to go see a dr miles away, well I am breathless just walking to the toilet so I told them I don't drive so I can't go anywhere, so they said they would send a dr to my house, which over here is practically unheard of now, but it never used to be like this. Well after waiting 5 hours for his dr I rang them back and complained at how awful it is to sit for 5 hours struggling with my breathing and still no dr has come, their answer was they are busy. But in the end they did send out like an ambulance car to assess me because I told them I was getting worse. I explained to the paramedic lady that I probably needed steroids as I am finding it so hard to get enough air through my lungs and that it actually feels like i'm suffocating. I told her my oxygen levels are low, so she tested them and sods law they were not too bad, I could not believe this, they have been low for days, but I think this was because I was talking to her, I was getting breathless and I was panting, which to me was pushing air through my lungs, so my levels must have rose. Anyway she gave me a nebuliser which was a really good help, and she eventually agreed to give me some steroids, but didn't seem to want to at first?? She said I did not need to be in hospital but if I got worse to call them back. I settled myself in an armchair for the night as I felt I could not lay down as my breathing was even worse.

AFter a couple more hours someone knocked my door...it was the dr, after 7 hours he had still come out to me as they had forgotten to cancel him. 7 hours, what a bloody joke to have to wait that long. Well he took my oxygen levels and they were 90/91% and he said I am on the verge of him admitting me to hospital, I was so glad he actually saw just how low my levels go....I told him I would rather stay at home if possible, so he told me to take more steroids than the paramedic had told me to, and he gave me a prescription for much stronger antibiotics as he said if the others were going to work they would have done after 4 days of taking them, and off he went. So I have taken all im meant to be taking now...I tried to sleep in the armchair but it was so very uncomfortable...so I laid down on the sofa but my temp went so high my pyjamas were actually wet, so I got a nice cold sheet and laid it on the sofa first, I put the ceiling fan on and I laid down and I was bliss, having the fan on my all nigh was wonderful, and I still have it on now as I am burning up still. This morning I woke up feeling a tiny bit better, so I didn't ring my local dr like the one last night said to, because I felt a bit better....but as the day has gone on my breathing is again worse. My oxygen levels are about 92% so still too low for someone like me who does not have a reason normally to have such low levels, but its the wheezing, I can feel all the gunk in my chest, and its blocking the air getting in and out, I cough and cough until I almost pass out, and I can breathe good for about 30 seconds, and its bad again, so I will watch it tonight, if its a bad night again I will go to my local dr in the morning because hubby is off work tomorrow and can take me by car.

I am baffled that this pleurisy is still making my breathing so bad after this long and with all these meds??

The following user gives a hug of support to cazajacks:
parker1261 (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi casajacks,

I'm so sorry you are going through this.
It's a shame you didn't ask the Dr to admit you to Hospital when he was on the verge of doing so.
My Plueresy came over the Christmas holiday and no Drs were open but there is always a locum who stands in for emergencys and he asked my husband to bring me to this clinic in the next town and he admitted me straight away to hospital.
I'm quite shocked at how the medical system has gone down in the U.K after my leaving there.
We have problems here but I'm treated very well at my Drs here.
If you don't improve call the Drs again and say you cannot continue at home like you are.
The steroids should soon kick in, I found them so helpful in my earlier years of Asthma
and with the Nebuliser as well I hope you soon feel better.
All the best and keep in touch,

Solofelix.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:53 AM   #8
cazajacks
Veteran
(female)

Hi Everyone, well I have been in hospital the last 3 days!! I started to feel a bit better, but at night I just feel like im so badly struggling to breathe and my oxygen levels won't rise above 92% so I decided to go to my gp for her advice. She sent me straight to hospital as an admission!! Which is very strange, ive never heard of that before....she said she wasn't at all happy with my low oxygen levels. Well got to the hospital and as usual no beds, massive queues and no drs available, absolute shambles. But when I did see a dr she said at first look at me I looked good as I wasn't short of breath or anything, but she said as soon as she listened to my chest/back the whole of it is one big crackling gluggling popping noise, she said it was the whole of my front and back, from my hips up to my throat front and back?? not just the chest area? Straight away I was sent to a ward.
I was happy with this as I felt so much safer than being at home This dr did say it must be pneumonia not pleurisy.
I had intravenous antibiotics as the tablet ones just were not doing it, and I had some oxygen which felt really good, so relieving to me. The very next morning the respiratory consultant comes to do his rounds, he comes to me and he barely spent 2 minutes with me, he was in such a rush to get his patients all done and dusted, it makes you feel like crap to be treated like this. He said that I could go straight back on tablet antibiotics? Didn't need the oxygen but to have nebulisers, and I could go home, I tried telling him how I was struggling to breathe and felt like I was suffocating so he said I could stay till the morning then?? I went on to ask him exactly what was wrong with me and why was I struggling to breathe and why was my oxygen so low, he said he didn't know?? The chest xray showed no pleurisy, no pneumonia?? He said he was now off on his holiday for a weeks so would see me in his clinic as an outpatient when he got back, and off he went?

So I have no idea what is wrong with me, i'm now at home, sitting in an armchair, if I do anything I can't breathe, I cannot get my oxygen levels up from 90/91 and I am bloody struggling to do anything at all, I can't even dress myself. Last night when I went to bed I struggled like hell to keep breathing, its a fight to get the air through all this wheezing stuff I can feel all over my chest, I keep trying to sleep sitting upright, but its not working as I slip down. I did say to this cocky consultant ' im not astmatic, but he said he may disagree with this, but will tell me more in his clinic....well I have a daughter of 23 who has had severe asthma all her life, I have seen her extremely ill and struggling to breathe, but an asthma attack does not last 3 weeks, things relieve it, like pumps, oxygen, nebulisers and so on, nothing is relieving mine, nothing at all. So I don't agree its asthma.
I did try to speak to another dr on the ward, and I asked him straight do I have the starting of COPD, he said he didn't know, he said I have a deterioration in my lungs??? What the hell does that mean, but he said as he didn't know my case he couldn't say anymore.
So I sit here now, on all these drugs that are not helping me breathe in the slightest, waiting for an appointment for this outpatient clinic, and I can't do anything, I can't walk more than say ten feet, because I get so badly breathless, i'm scared to go to bed because im suffocating, my oxygen levels to me are way too low, and when I cough, im am so severely congested I suffocate. But, ive been sent home like this, to sit and wait for this consultant to see me. I am bloody disgusted, how can they leave me like this, because an animal would not be left like this. Thank God my husband has the next two weeks off of work, because ican't do anything for myself. Im suddenly disable.
To say im angry is an understatement, my gp sent me to hospital because I am like this, but they feel its ok to just send me home, im was having 4 hourly nebulisers in there, they havnt even sent me home with any, not even an asthma spray??? Im not happy. xx

Old 09-04-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi cazajacks,

Sorry for not getting back to you, I have just returned today from a week in Portugal.
I'm so sorry to hear you are still struggling to breathe.
Has there been any improvement since your message of the 31/8/14.
It's hard to figure out what your problem is as medication doesn't seem to be doing much for you.
I've always found Steroid treatment in Asthma or the time I had pleurisy really helpful.
I can only say as I said previously "What has happened to the NHS in the U.K"...
Keep us updated and I really hope you soon feel much better,

Solofelix.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
parker1261
(female)

parker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB Userparker1261 HB User

Caza - oh my god you've got to be kidding ! back home ?!? are these people nuts ??? any chance you can get your primary dr to re-admit you ? if the wack-a-doodle dr is on vacation maybe if you're lucky you could get a real concerned dr ? am in total shock ! and here in the states i thought our health system was crazy ! bless your heart....keep us posted my dear !

do NOT do the hokey pokey until you feel better !!!!!!

Be careful when following the masses; sometimes the "M" is silent !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi cazajacks,

Sorry for not getting back to you, I have just returned today from a week in Portugal.
I'm so sorry to hear you are still struggling to breathe.
Has there been any improvement since your message of the 31/8/14.
It's hard to figure out what your problem is as medication doesn't seem to be doing much for you.
I've always found Steroid treatment in Asthma or the time I had pleurisy really helpful.
I can only say as I said previously "What has happened to the NHS in the U.K"...
Keep us updated and I really hope you soon feel much better,

Solofelix.

"casajacks,

I meant to ask you if you have had an x-ray or scan of your chest and lungs.
I take it you have if you have been in Hospital.
Were you told the results.

I believe you mentioned about some deterioration in your lungs. Did you ask what that meant,

Solofelix.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #12
cazajacks
Veteran
(female)

URGENT UPDATE:

OH MY GOD.....I HAVE JUST ALMOST DIED.

These bloody stupid doctors, never ever listen to them.

Well as you know they discharged me from the hospital on Saturday 30th Aug, telling me to come back to this consultants clinic in 8 weeks time...I asked him to listen to me as I was suffocating, he still said i'm fine, I asked him why his machines were showing my oxygen levels were so low if i'm ok, he said not to worry about it, going down to 88% oxygen would be ok, I argued this as I am meant to be a normal healthy person whose oxygen should about 98% he still said i'm fine. I did not believe him and I said again, i'm suffocating. With this he walked off to his next patient.
I went home, and over the next 5 days got worse, took all the meds they had given me and still couldn't breathe, so on the Thursday I went back again to my g.p and said look i'm still suffocating, I am fighting at night to breathe in and out, I can't walk far what the hell is going on, my oxygen levels are now at 91%. My g.p. wasn't happy that they had discharged me from hospital, and said if they leave you like this much longer you will be Hypoxic ( which meant nothing to me). he gave me two asthma pumps with the tube to breathe it through and told me if I need more than ten pumps in four hours go to hospital, or if I can't keep my oxygen levels above 90% go to hospital. I went home and took these sprays.
The next day, Friday I went out as I had a hospital appointment and went to town, although using a pair of crutches to hold me up and walking very slow....I then went home as I felt worse and just laid on my sofa, I ate dinner and felt absolutely terrible. I nodded off on my sofa and woke at 9pm, felt ok, had a glass of iced lemonade and then felt really really ill? I put myself to bed at 9pm and things went down hill, if felt like my lungs were trapped in iron casks that were much too tight, and the worst bit was a lasoo had been put around my abdomen area immediately below my boobs, and was being pulled so tight I was going to rip in half. I was in agony, at 2am I got up and packed a small bag for hospital as I knew I was going to end up there either way. I then went downstairs and laid on my sofa until 6.30 am when hubby came down and stayed with me. He didn't know what to do and he is useless if i'm ill.....slowly suffocating I began to lose the ability to even hold a sentence, I managed to say to hubby to get help, a paramedic came who called an ambulance, I now could not hold my head up. I got to hospital to find out
I was now in stage one respiratory distress, I was Hypoxic!!! Had blood tests, chest xray and still nothing showed up, they were still going to try the asthmas route, and I got bloody angry as I knew I was in serious trouble. I got put on a temp ward and another consultant came to see me, she listened to me, she was a God send, she did the right test and saved my life.
It turns out all this time I had a blood clot in my leg, it had slowly been breaking up and clots had actually gone through my heart into my lungs....how I am alive now I will never know.....these clots are now in my lungs and causing damage. It only takes one tiny clot to kill me if it got stuck in my heart.
This clever dr did a CTPE scan which means it specifically looks for clots, even though theysaid I didn't have one, I had many sitting there.
I am now on a high dose of Warfarin for at least 6 months, I have lost my ability to walk or do anything, i.e. shower dress its all a real struggle as I can't breathe....im shocked at how down hill ive gone. They said this might last just a couple of weeks or a couple of months, but they are hoping im not like it forever. ??
That fecking stupid consultant would not listen to me and almost cost me my life. I am now totally disabled, can do only minor things, I pray this goes away but is depressing at the moment as my life has gone. I still have the clots, and they say there is only a small chance of them moving and killing me and im not to worry. Are they fecking stupid, don't worry, I have two kids to look after, sorry to swear but im so bloody angry, I went to 8 drs before one did the correct test, my g.p even admitted me straight to hospital for them to send me home again. They just want the beds.
Im so grateful to be alive, but im so scared im might still die. Please ensure you never get put through this, if you know something is not right kick up a bloody stink. xx

Last edited by cazajacks; 09-13-2014 at 06:13 AM.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: cazajacks
Machaon (09-13-2014),parker1261 (09-13-2014),solofelix (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi caszajacks,

I'm horrified at your treatment and lost for words.
I'm sure if that happened in the U.S. this would be a different situation altogether.
I live in Ireland and I have never experienced anything like that.
What you have been through is unbelievable, thank God this other Consultant had a working Brain and discovered the problem.
I feel so sorry for what you have suffered as being unable to breathe is torture.
I hope now you will be on the road to recovery and I can only send prayers and the best of health wishes to you,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
cazajacks (09-13-2014)
Reply Reply