It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Positive ANA- Looking for answers

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-01-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
    Serran25
    (female)

Serran25 HB User
    Positive ANA- Looking for answers

Hello all,

I'm new here and see how much people try and help each other so much in trying to answer questions so I thought I'd give it a try. I was given a bloodtest to check for RA and Lupus. My RA bw came back normal, but I got a positive ANA result as well as a 1:80 Homogeneous ANA Titer. Here's a little background as to why I went to a rheumatologist:

- Severe joint pain- I had to stop doing hair because of how badly my hands hurt after a long day of doing hair. And it goes the same for my knees, even elbows
    - Extreme fatigue- I could have a full nights sleep and still feel so fatigued and with such lack of energy the next day.
    - Bruising of my skin- Lately I have been seeing bruises all around my legs, arms, without ever hitting anything- They sort of just appear
    - Irregular menstrual cycle- I used to be regular to a T- I knew exactly when my period was coming and it would come that day- The about a year ago, it started becoming very irregular. There have even been a few months where it wouldn't come (I know I wasn't pregnant and I'm 31 yrs old)
    - I had been diagnosed and treated for Lyme and I was hospitalized for Meningitis in 2011

Could this be Lupus? If not, what could it be?
    My Drs offc is closed until Mon so this whole having to wait the weekend, is killing me :/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Positive ANA- Looking for answers

Welcome to the boards. It COULD be lupus, but could be RA even with a negative blood test or another disorder in the same category. Interesting, lupus can cause meningitis, but is aseptic meningitis (no germs), so if you were diagnosed with vial or bacterial meningitis, it was not lupus meningitis. Your symptoms could be left over effects of Lyme, I think, and at least should be considered as a possible cause. I think your rheum will want to do more testing of other antibodies, and I think your thyroid hormone levels and thyroid antibodies should be checked too. Autoimmune thyroiditis can cause a + ANA, joint pains, fatigue and menstrual irregularities. I hope you get some answers soon and feel better.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. When you see your doctor, which I hope is soon, you should really stress the bruising. It can occur in clotting disorders (which can co-exist with lupus), in leukemia, and in various other conditions as well. BTW, it's a good idea to get copies of all labs while you're still looking for firm answers. Please let us know what you learn. Wishing you luck!

Old 08-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
    Serran25
    (female)

Serran25 HB User

Thank you so much. After the back and forth with my Drs offc (trying to actually get a hold of her), she finally told me that my Vit D level was at 19, so she wants to put me on 50,000 IU's of Vit D once a week for 8 weeks. After the 8 weeks, she wants to continue on with the additional Lupus testing. I did tell her about the bruising, but she sort of brushed it off. I feel like all of my symptoms are not being into consideration when figuring out what's going on. I may have to go for a 2nd opinion, but hopefully, all works out.

Thanks so much again!!

Old 08-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
    Jefetrow
    (female)

Jefetrow HB User

Hi, I had vitamin D deficiency also. My level was 7, but even after my level came up I still had all the symptoms. And just like you said I felt like I was not being taken seriously or felt like they were brushing me off. If your dr doesnt want to do more testing now I HIGHLY recommend getting a second opinion. I have been dealing with this for about 4 years now and finally found a dr that listens. You may have to see several until you find one but dont give up they are out there, just hard to find. Good luck!!

Reply Reply

Tags
    ana, fatigue, homogeneous, lupus, titer