It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Needing help with understanding Labs

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
    JenJewell
    (female)

JenJewell HB User
    Needing help with understanding Labs

Hello,
    I recently had some lab work completed by my rheumatologist. My anti-dsDNA was positive 30 iu/ml and I have a high CRP 7.8. Does these results plus my symptoms indicate Lupus? Iím so confused. I greatly appreciate any advice you can provide. Thank you.

Symptoms:
    Bilateral Joint Pain (feet)
    Headaches - (Burning, tingling, Sharp)
    Fatigue
    Mouth sores
    Constant Ring in my ears ( 3+months)
    Vision problems
    Hair loss
    Raynaud's syndrome (2 flare ups this year)
    Depression-stress (due to pain)
    Lack of Sleep
    Dizziness

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Needing help with understanding Labs

Lupus diagnosis is based on a combination of symptoms and labs. The anti dsDNA is specific for lupus, but people with this antibody almost always have a positive ANA as well. Was an ANA done? An elevated CRP is an indication of inflammation and is non specific, ie., it can be elevated in lupus but also many other ailments. You have several symptoms that do occur in lupus, so my suspicion would be high, but you may not meet the Criteria strictly. Some Drs. adhere to these criteria (4/11 items identified by the ACR) but they are really meant to be a guideline. These are found in the sticky notes at the top of the lupus board here. When your situation is just shy of what it takes, sometimes you can find other criteria in your history, such as sun rash in past or anemia, or a new one may development in time that makes the picture more complete. In essence it is a judgment call on the part of your rheum.

Reply Reply