It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

ANA 1:160 speckled. Is it definitely lupus?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
amafi
(male)

amafi HB User
Unhappy ANA 1:160 speckled. Is it definitely lupus?

I am 29, white male. After severe symptoms, my neurologist sent me to do ANA and it turns out positive, 1:160 speckled. They automatically did Anti dsDNA (negative), Anti nRNP/Sm < 2.0 , Anti Smith < 2.0

Symptoms include:

- Weakness/sensitivity on the right side of the face and right side of the body. Pain and sensitivity in the right eye.

- Feeling less conscious (like between dreaming and reality)

- Difficulty thinking, concentrating, sometimes difficulty typing and speaking.

- Full body muscle pain

- Almost constantly tired

- Nausea

I am so scared. I would appreciate your help / feedback.

After whole day of searching, I have yet to see such results with negative lupus

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
amafi
(male)

amafi HB User
Re: ANA 1:160 speckled. Is it definitely lupus?

After my immunologist did additional tests, he told me that when ANA is high, especially in men, they want to make additional test to make sure the kidney and other organs are ok. He also told me that I don't have systemic autoimmune disease at the moment. He wasn't that interested about my symptoms.

I will ask for a second opinion. I plan to see reumatologist. They one I saw almost a month ago gave me Lyrica, but doesn't help me that much.

The tests that the immunologist did was:

Anti dsDNA - Negative

Anti nRNP/SM - Negative

Anti SS-A - Negative

Anti Ro-52 - Negative

Anti SS-B - Negative

Anti Scl 70 - Negative

Anti Jo-1 - Negative

Anti CENP B - Negative

Anti Nucleosomes - Negative

Anti Histones - Negative

Anti Ribosomal P-Protein - Negative

RA Factor - Negative

Anti Beta2-Glycoprotein 1 - 12.7 Ref range: (0.0 - 19.9)

C Reactive protein - 0.03 Ref range: (0.00 - 0.50)

CCP - 0.6 Ref range: (0.00 - 5.0)

Complement C3 116.0 ; Ref range: (82 - 185)

Complement C4 22.7 ; Ref range: (15 - 53)

Creatine Kinase 42 ; Ref range (30-200)

Bottom line:

- I still don't have diagnosis

- I still have symptoms (especially fatigue, it is unbearable. I sleep more than 12 hours per day and I am still tired)

- I have a lot of doctors, but little answers. I am treated for irritable bowel syndrome with a lot of medications + the lyrica + some antidepressants I guess.

Should I expect the doctors to make a diagnosis? Should I give them time? Should I accept non-diagnosis? Should I wait for symptoms to get better by themselves?

Please help.I really need it. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Welcome Amafi, to the boards. I know it is frustrating to seek help for health problems and get no definitive answers. Lupus falls in a group of autoimmune diseases that have many overlapping and quite varied symptoms in individuals. It is often difficult to diagnose for several reasons: It can start out slowly and take months to years to manifest fully, the lab tests are non-specific and overlap with many other autoimmune disorders. A diagnosis of lupus requires certain symptoms (4 out of 11 main ones), although there are many, plus a positive ANA. Your list of symptoms and positive ANA are meaningful but not sufficient to make a diagnosis. I do think seeing a rheumatologist is a good idea. Take all these test results with you and any other such as CBC, urinalysis, metabolic panel, thyroid tests. It is possible to have lupus with all these other tests normal, but often early in the illness the symptoms are insufficient to meet the criteria. The 11 criteria are posted in the sticky notes at the top of the lupus board here. I would look over those criteria and see if you meet any others, like low platelets or anemia or sun sensitivitiy. It takes patience and persistence and repeat testing over time to get a diagnosis in many cases. I would be certain you have your thyroid hormones AND antibodies checked as well for autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's). Good luck and let us know what transpires.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:02 AM   #4
amafi
(male)

amafi HB User

In the last week I developed new symptoms, that worry me a lot. Swelling of the soft tissue in the both feet. Now a small swelling start in the hands. The joints are not swollen, I don't have redness, but I have blue color on the feet.

The doctor has no idea why

The swelling so far (one week) is not reacting to Celebrex 200mg, 2 times a day and Fastum Gel.

Does this makes it more likely to be something autoimmune? Should I repeat some tests or make new ones?

Old 06-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amafi View Post
In the last week I developed new symptoms, that worry me a lot. Swelling of the soft tissue in the both feet. Now a small swelling start in the hands. The joints are not swollen, I don't have redness, but I have blue color on the feet.

The doctor has no idea why

The swelling so far (one week) is not reacting to Celebrex 200mg, 2 times a day and Fastum Gel.

Does this makes it more likely to be something autoimmune? Should I repeat some tests or make new ones?
The swelling could be a symptom related to an autoimmune disease called Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD) which includes lupus but is a little broader. The blue discoloration is probably Raynaudís which is caused by vascular spasm and occurs in several of the autoimmune diseases. I would take pictures of both the swelling and the Raynauds to show your Dr. and be sure to consult a rheumatologist for specific diagnostic tests.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:59 AM   #6
amafi
(male)

amafi HB User

I did ultrasound and MRI scan on both feet and both hands, for the swelling.

No inflamation.
On the feet, osteoarthritis is noted in thr big toes on both legs.

Because there is no inflamation found, does it mean that the reason for the swelling is not autoimmune?

Should I insist on muscule biopsy?
Should I get MRI on all joins that hurt, just in case they will find osteoarthritis?

Can this be RA?

Reply Reply