It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Heart issues with lupus?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
    kathryn+2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
    Heart issues with lupus?

I just got back from the ER. I really felt like I was having a heart attack but all the tests came back fine . I know I didnít imagine it. I felt like a big weight was on my heart and it was intermittent. Actually was quite painful. They told me to get a stress test done. How common is it that lupus could be affecting my heart ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Heart issues with lupus?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kathryn+2 View Post
    I just got back from the ER. I really felt like I was having a heart attack but all the tests came back fine . I know I didnít imagine it. I felt like a big weight was on my heart and it was intermittent. Actually was quite painful. They told me to get a stress test done. How common is it that lupus could be affecting my heart ?
    Lupus can cause heart problems but there are other things in lupus that can cause chest pain as well. A lot depends on your age, other health conditions, etc. If the pain is determined to not be caused by costochondritis, pleurisy or GI reflux, all common in lupus, an echocardiogram should be done to check for pericarditis ( inflammation of the sac around heart) and an EKG, blood work for cardiac enzyme elevation. A stress test is a good idea to check the circulation in your coronary arteries, especially if you are over 35 or so. I hope all those things were checked in the ER. One needs to think about the lungs as well especially if any shortness of breath or cough accompanies the chest pain. I would review all those conditions to learn the character of the pain pattern with each and maybe something will match up with your pain pattern to provide clues.

Reply Reply